Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Brian Nester

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Opportunities for advancement, great benefits (in 24 reviews)

• They offer good benefits to employees (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely low pay due to being fresh out of school and them taking advantage of your desperation (in 15 reviews)

• There are times when patient care trumps scanning a med (in 9 reviews)

1. "Tech partner"

Current Employee - Tech Partner in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Tech Partner in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good team work to
    Be in

Cons

PAy is
    Low for all we do

Advice to Management

More staffing please always understaffed

2. "Could so easily be a great place to work, just horrible staffing issues"

Former Employee - Technical Partner in Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - Technical Partner in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really excellent coworkers generally, depends a little on location.

A lot of PTO and sick time.

Cons

For the sick time they have a system where you accrue occurrences and if you reach a certain level you get fired. Not great, but it wasn't that unreasonable, something like 9 occurrences in the space of 365 days.

The much larger problem was the upper management. They either do not understand or do not care what is required to safely care for patients in terms of staffing and maintaining equipment. The staffing at this network was so bad that it overshadowed any and every other problem or benefit for me, just an absolute nightmare. I was there for 5 years and on and off the staffing would improve and be fine for like 3-6 months, then plunge back down to less than a skeleton crew for a year. I would not consider working for them again, I definitely felt abused because of the lack of any meaningful action taken by upper management to correct a simple issue.

Advice to Management

Stop competing with St. Luke's to see who will be the Wal-Mart and who will be the K-mart of hospital networks in PA and focus on patient outcomes and retaining good employees. I saw droves of amazing nurses leaving every year because literally every one of your employees feels the same way. We're all tired of being the most experienced person on the floor after 6 months working there.

3. "Medical assistant"

I worked at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network full-time

Pros

Easy commute. Friendly co workers.

Cons

Low pay. High turnover of employees.

4. "Patient Transporter"

Former Employee - Patient Transporter in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Patient Transporter in Allentown, PA

I worked at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of PTO and Sick Days Offered

Cons

Difficult to schedule PTO. Plenty of sick days but if you use too many, you will receive a warning up to final warning and discharge. Days are given but you're penalized if you use. Management grades performance on productivity and not Patient Care.

Advice to Management

Focus more on patient care and satisfaction and less on productivity. Patients are not items or things, they are humans and should be treated with respect, dignity and superior care. Brian Nester, CEO of the hospital does not know what is going on in the trenches even though he says he does. It does not reflect in daily operations.

"Spread too thin"

I worked at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off, diversity of job opportunities

Cons

Poor HR staff/policies (same staff are assigned to both managers and workers resulting in conflicts of interest); hospital administration/upper management that doesn't understand (or care about?) stressed and overworked employees; overall network has over-expanded to its own and the public safety's detriment; tends to discourage older/long-term workers from staying; depending on department, can be like working for "big brother"

Advice to Management

Take advice and suggestions from your employees seriously; mentor them and make them feel welcome; stop overworking them and improve staffing; try to live the organizational culture you preach; and stop focusing on your annual bonuses from squeezing money out of employees/departmental budgets instead of inspiring true teamwork

6. "LVHN is a good place to start off career and work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management is great. There is no micro-management, at least in my department. Managers trust their employees and employees are given autonomy in the work they do.

Cons

Salary/compensation could be higher and more opportunities for advancement for entry level positions

"Director"

Former Employee - Director in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Director in Allentown, PA

I worked at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

advancement is possible lots of lateral moves too

Cons

upper executive management poor, not engaged

"Meh"

Pros

Good work atmosphere abd coworkers

Cons

Understaffing and lack of compassion fir employees

"RN"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Allentown, PA

Pros

PTO, medical insurance and 403k retirement plan

Cons

Very stressful work load and not enough time to expend time with patient

Advice to Management

Focus on direct quality patient care and not in productivity and numbers of patients assigned.

"Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered
    Current Employee - Registered

Pros

It’s a full time job. It’s close to home. I couldn’t ask for a better bunch of co-workers. Pay is slightly higher than other places I have applied recently to attempt to get out of here , since travel expense negates any rate increase.

Cons

I’ve been a Regisered Nurse for 20 years, since LVHN has taken over morale in our department has been at an all time low. They preach PRIDE and “we are all colleagues” until they are blue in the face, but at the end of the day you are just a warm body to fill the shift that’s already short staffed. Management is a joke and have no clue how a department should be run. All they are concerned with is Door to provider times and metrics. I’d love to see them work a twelve hour shift with no breaks and see their numbers.

Advice to Management

Learn to appreciate what you have now before you are out looking for a new job yourselves. It’s not about what’s on the paper, it’s about people’s lives. Patients and your staff you can’t have one without the other. Open your eyes! If your staff isn’t happy neither are your patients!