Lehman Brothers Reviews | Glassdoor

Lehman Brothers Reviews

Updated May 5, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • long hours, high-stress work environment (in 25 reviews)

• too big that you are not noticable to senior management (in 16 reviews)

1. "Lehman Brothers?"

Former Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Company culture
    Ability to grow within company

Cons

Bankruptcy, limited departments to choose from, combining culture with Barclays

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing-- net profits are a good sign. How did Lehman and Barclays culture combine after the bankruptcy?

2. "Very fast-paced company that was well-organized but stratified"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

When it was in business, the corporate culture encouraged innovation and moving fast, usually to the detriment of documentation and organization. International opportunities were also largely encouraged: transferring internally to international locations was quite common

Cons

To the detriment of its fast paced culture, the company was very political in its inner dealings. Employee communication was mostly cheerleading, with very little important information. Though it ran like a well-oiled machine, roles were quite set in stone, and advancement was gauged more on perception rather than results.

Advice to Management

Strike a better balance between work and life, and change the culture towards progression rather than stress out the staff to keep catching up. Try to get back the talent that left after the insolvency.

3. "It was a good company. Too bad it went under."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Diverse, smart people, great networking opportunities, wonderful businesses across the board.

Cons

It's too bad the company went bankrupt.

Advice to Management

The mgmt should have communicated better with the employees and the public.

4. "Lehman Brothers was a good place to work."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

Lehman was a good place to work. Salary and benefits were good. Fellow employees were smart and good to work with.

Cons

Total comp included restricted stock units that could not be acted upon for five years after receiving them. Large company made upward mobility difficult.

Advice to Management

Lehman as it was ceases to exist. Middle management did a good job and treated employees well. I am satisfied with how I was treated.

5. "Lehman Brothers"

Former Employee - Junior Business Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Junior Business Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

The company was very helpful in allowing me to work from home when I moved. Lehman also did a good job of making training available to both consultants and employees

Cons

There was very little training for consultants. Senior Management drove company into ground and the months following the bankruptcy were chaotic

Advice to Management

I wish they didn't destroy the company with their short-sighted plan for growth. I've heard that former Lehman employees are not given the same respect as old and new Barclays hires

6. "Great place but now its gone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Worked with Lehman d for almost 4 years got very well but made me lazy as a network manager, you get to direct others so you don't have to do it yourself

Cons

they went bankrupt leaving me unemployed , but for the most part it was a great place to work nice people great pay

Advice to Management

Should have held the place together and taken a bailout , and we would still have jobs i think ,

7. "Great place to work while it lasted"

Former Employee - Investment Banking Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Investment Banking Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

Truly great culture, good people, ethical and cooperative behavior at the mid-management level

Cons

Remember that stock you got for your bonus? Yeah. Not so much.

Advice to Management

VAR.. maybe we really didn't need to jack up the VAR more, despite what you said.

8. "If you dare, step in"

Former Employee - Wealth Advisor Trainee in New City, NY
    Former Employee - Wealth Advisor Trainee in New City, NY

Pros

It is an established business in Wall Street with an aggressive strategy. I like the set up of the office and the relation with the team.

Cons

Time and work balance: I asked my colleage why he came to office so early on Monday morning and he said he had not gone home yet.
    Incompliant managemorninmnt among sub-business units: The appraisal systems are different from one another.

Advice to Management

Consolidate their HR management systems to be in line with one another

9. "Tis Tis Tis"

Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

Reknown company, but as we all know what happened I guess infamous may be a better descriptor. For the operations class you get overtime which is wonderful. In addition, a work life balance is encouraged. The second most important thing is to network. If you do not do this then you will be stuck an analyst forever. Therefore you must attend events with WILL and various volunteer gigs. If you get sick then there is always a nurse and rest rooms. If they think that you need to go home, they send you off in a town car. Typically your managers are great and there is no closed door. People are really nice and laid back.

Cons

Starting salary leaves alot to be desired and the development class's are lack luster. Your expierance all depends on your manager. If you work in the New Jersey office and plan on moving to front office BEWARE. You much absolutely network your butt off to get ahead. Try to meet MD's or VP's from other groups, it would typically be middle office. From there you would network with the sales traders. Visit the trading floor as much as possible and try to attend as many happy hours as you can. These are the keys to success as lehman. It is not who you know, rather it is who knows you. Oh and be friendly and laid back and you will fit in.

Advice to Management

Should have been more open or at the very least done ever thing you could have to stay afloat

10. "Great while it lasted."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

Pros

The people at Lehman were great. Everyone was very intelligent and I learned a lot while I was there. The work was interesting and challenging. Although there is a decent amount of bureaucracy, the managers I've had were all very understanding and approachable.

Cons

Like any other investment bank, the hours are tough. Even in the technology department, I often worked 12+ hour days. Since this is a bank, the guys in technology were not treated with as much respect as say the traders or investment bankers. Bonuses were pretty great, but they were obviously not as good as the traders were getting. There was little transparency in terms of what was going on with the company when things started going bad.

Advice to Management

Provide more transparency.