Leighton Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Leighton Reviews

Updated Oct 3, 2019

Found 29 reviews

3.6
Leighton CEO James Bunting (no image)
James Bunting
  1. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Leighton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture and good team Trusted to do the job and your opinion matters Flat structure You get to try lots of new things SLT are friendly and approachable, whilst being good at what they do

Cons

As others have mentioned, it took the management a long time to get rid of under performers, but they have started to take action and "manage them out" now.

Leighton2019-10-03

"Nice bunch of talented people"

Former Employee - Software Tester in West Rainton, England

I worked at Leighton full-time for less than a year

Pros

Relax environment where creativity and innovation are encouraged.

Cons

Where projects are dev lead, there is a general lack of structure and a certain disregard for non-dev team members' input (BA, testers, etc).

Leighton2019-08-21

"Culture and Values"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houghton-le-Spring, England

I have been working at Leighton full-time

Pros

As part of my job search I was looking for a place that offered a great culture fit with good values and feel like I found it at Leighton. Of course there is hard work but there is also semi-flexible working, extended lunches, and an encouragement to do activities such as the running club and football. A social committee also organise events for people to join in on too. There are also opportunities for people to... progress internally too

Cons

The culture varies slightly across sites as two of the sites are client sites but the values remain the same.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to feedback across various platforms and implement changes

Leighton2019-01-09

February 1, 2019Head of People

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your feedback and are delighted to hear you feel that Leighton has good values and is a good culture fit for you. Our values and culture are things we are proud of and we continually monitor, and try to improve, them whenever we can. We appreciate that our culture can vary across sites, this is something we have been working on and we feel we are making good progress on this. If you have any thoughts or ideas on how we can make further improvements we would love to hear them, please speak to Paula in the People Team. We will of course continue to listen to our amazing people and are happy to implement changes that arise from those conversations.

4. "Great company and getting better"

I have been working at Leighton full-time

Pros

Really supportive management team who care for their staff. They want to make it a great place to work. Some good projects to work and build your skills and experiences. Fun and can have a laugh Flexible and can work from home Free fruit and lots of social activities Feel like I’m listened to I have regular 121s and feedback on my progress and to share ideas The managers are open and honest and keep the... staff up to date on how Leighton is doing Brought in some great new people recently who want to make a difference Staff care about the customers

Cons

Would like the opportunity to buy holiday There has been a few leavers recently but I’m not worried.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the staff

Leighton2018-12-24

February 1, 2019Head of People

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your feedback and it’s great to hear that you’re enjoying your time at Leighton, it is always nice to hear positive feedback as we don’t always hear when things are working well. It makes our jobs more rewarding, knowing that we are getting things right. We are continually looking to enhance staff benefits, as we as a company grow you will hopefully be able to buy additional holiday in the future.

"Ever get that sinking feeling..."

I worked at Leighton full-time

Pros

Nice staff who care and really want to make a difference Flexible working Interesting work that gives you good experience

Cons

Leighton has had its ups and downs over the years. When a new CEO came in over a year ago I hoped that we would be turning a corner. Unfortunately the last 15 months have seen a steady decline from an already precarious position. The new leadership team that has been brought in have become distant since their overly keen introduction. They spend more time working from home or working with their heads down than... talking to clients and staff and actually trying to fix things. The commercial team has brought in a negligible amount of new work, meaning that we still rely on one big client (who get angrier with us by the week). More time is spent on company updates, quizzes and fancy dress than actually trying to improve the service we offer. Staff are treated appallingly and “managed out” if work isn’t found for them. At the moment I fear for Leighton, it just doesn’t seem like it’s going anywhere. The Leighton motto “improve, improve, improve” is more of a punchline than a motivational slogan.

Advice to Management

Act on the advice you’re given.

Leighton2018-12-18

February 1, 2019Head of People

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Firstly, we appreciate you sharing your concerns regarding how you believe people are treated at Leighton. We can assure you that people are not merely “managed out” of the business. As a business, decisions have to be made that sadly may ultimately lead to people leaving the company; however, these decisions are only made after a full and thorough process in which the best options for both parties are considered and discussed. Thank you again for your feedback and we wish you well for the future.

6. "Great"

Coordinator in Doha

I worked at Leighton for more than a year

Pros

Challenging task and above average

Cons

No increase on salary

Advice to Management

None

Leighton2018-12-20

"Literally, the worst place I’ve ever worked!"

I worked at Leighton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some genuinely nice people working here

Cons

There is so much wrong with Leighton it is difficult to know where to begin with this review. Leighton is by far the most toxic environment I’ve ever worked in. What is worse is that they know this and rather than fix the root of the problem they try their level best to pin the blame on anybody other than senior management. Around the end of 2017, we were told that a new CEO was coming in to replace the old... CEO. There was so much wrong with Leighton before the new CEO came in but once he was here, he made everything far worse. He has absolutely no leadership skills and would rather get his senior staff to relay messages he was too afraid to relay himself. The fact he manages to stand up straight without a spine is the greatest achievement of his tenure so far. Issues such as lack of resourcing and lack of good equipment were raised but management decided it would be better to introduce quizzes and pizza days, and completely neglect matters that actually affected the business. This has come back to bite them as they are struggling to hold onto work and as a result have had to release a lot of staff. Don’t believe the spiel they give you when you go in for an interview; over the course of 3 years, 100+ people have been let go from Leighton - a company that barely has 50 staff. Another problem with Leighton was the fact that whenever something went wrong, they had to find a scapegoat so that management wouldn’t get the blame. Leighton are masters of demoralising staff and making them feel worthless and then blaming them for it. Talking from my own personal experience; I went in as a graduate and they made little to no effort to help me develop in my role. This really dented my confidence and thus my ability to do my job properly. At the time I genuinely felt this was a fault of my own, however since leaving I have went to another company and had none of these issues. I am now able to fulfil my duties without any issue and thoroughly enjoy my job. It’s a far-cry from where I used to be and I came to realise the problem was Leighton itself. Unbeknownst to me, the company I went to had previously done work for a client of Leighton’s (at least they were a client up until the time I left). I distinctly remember Leighton blaming the client for the lack of progress and everything that was wrong with the project but it turned out this was just Leighton up to their old tricks. My current employer had absolutely no issues with this client and Leighton had just underestimated the project. Leighton’s biggest client would probably be British Airways (which they are clinging onto with dear life). Whilst there, they had a move-around of seats so that Leighton staff were sat together, however, they placed everyone together bar 4 members of staff from ethnic minorities, who they segregated in a different part of the building. This was raised but just as quickly ignored as Leighton had bigger priorities, such as organising a quiz day. Three out of them four members of staff no longer work there and were released within the space of a few months. This is just the tip of the iceberg with Leighton. If you want to commit career suicide, this is the place to do so. If you want to work for a company that values its employees and encourages personal development, don’t go to Leighton. And if you’re feeling down and need cheering up, ring any recruitment agency and ask for their opinion on Leighton...you will not be disappointed.

Advice to Management

Less quizzes Management need to take responsibility Apply cultures and values instead of just making up a list of them

Leighton2018-12-17

February 1, 2019Head of People

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. To begin with may I say that I am genuinely pleased you have found a role in a company that is clearly a good fit for you, I am disappointed that Leighton was not that company. I appreciate you sharing your concerns about our culture and environment, but, there is something in your review that I feel I must address and that is the concern you raise about discrimination in the seating arrangements. Leighton as an employer is rightfully proud of the diversity of staff it employs and will not tolerate discriminatory behaviour against any staff member on the grounds of ethnicity, race, religion, sex or age amongst others. Whilst I do not believe that ethnicity of staff members played any part in the seating arrangements, I appreciate that does not match your perception, so, can I ask that you please contact me at your earliest convenience (using e-mail address: human.resources@leighton.com) so that I can better understand your comments and discuss them with you further. In order to find out if any other member of staff has felt this way, we are initiating a completely anonymous process where any staff member who has concerns of an incident of any kind can report the incident without fear of recrimination, I will personally follow up all reports. We have not as of yet had a single report but rest assured, this process will remain in place indefinitely to try and ensure no-one else feels the way you felt. At the end of 2017 a new CEO and Leadership Team joined Leighton and over the last 12 months we have added significantly to the headcount to address the lack of resources and we are working hard to implement initiatives that will contribute to improving our resource strategy. We are also continuing our investment in new IT equipment, so our people have the best possible equipment to do their roles effectively. One of the changes our CEO is keen to make is to empower our people and managers to have autonomy and to take accountability for the decisions that they make, therefore he will not always be the person who communicates decisions, but our monthly CEO updates should ensure he will always explain business decisions. Thank you again for your feedback we will continue to look at new and innovative ways of creating an environment where we put our amazing people at the heart of what we do.

"Interesting digital agency"

Former Employee - Full Stack Developer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Leighton full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very nice people to work with. Modern office.

Cons

Office location is isolated, without services or a good place where to eat.

Advice to Management

Project managers should work for the team not the other way around.

Leighton2018-10-06

"No direction and sinking"

I worked at Leighton

Pros

Free fruit and coffee, flexible with work times to a degree

Cons

No direction on where they are going and no care for staff unless you fit in with management, who only care about how much money they can drain from big client, not so canny bunch. Very rarely see managers as they always seem to be working from home!

Advice to Management

Take notice of long term staff

Leighton2018-08-02
  10. "Opportunity to Make a Difference"

I have been working at Leighton full-time for less than a year

Pros

The things I like most are:- * My opinion matters and my ideas are valued - I can make a real difference! * Clear strategy, vision and values - we have a plan and know how we will achieve it * Amazing People - some great colleagues, lots of different backgrounds and experiences and people I can really learn from * Exceptional Solutions - it feels like there is a real focus on producing work of real quality... that we can be proud of * Some nice perks - flexible working, free parking, good pension, supportive management

Cons

I've not come across any yet!

Leighton2018-05-17