LendingClub Reviews | Glassdoor

LendingClub President and CEO Scott Sanborn
Scott Sanborn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There are some growing pains with the pace of hiring (in 11 reviews)

• Salary, upper management, low pay on first start (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company with a bright future"

Current Employee - Senior Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LendingClub full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- LendingClub is a great place to work. I've worked at the company for 3+ years and every day is new, unique, challenging and interesting. I'm able to be creative on a daily basis. Great ideas can come from anywhere -- not just from the top. To me, LendingClub is a hybrid between a startup and a more established company, which means there is some structure but also lots of ability to think outside the box.
    - The company is full of talented people who are willing to pull together to get work done, no matter their title or job description. Employees are dedicated to changing the way that people borrow and invest.
    - It's also family friendly -- I had my first child 2 years ago while working at the company, and am expecting my second now. The company has consistently and actively asked for my (and others moms') feedback on how to make LendingClub a great place for working moms. Just in the last few months, they've increased their maternity leave policy, added new nursing rooms, and added a phased return to work program to help moms transition back after their leave. Pretty awesome.

Cons

- You need to be adaptable at LendingClub. The company is great for creative, flexible thinkers; it's much harder if you can't handle ambiguity.

Advice to Management

Keep looking ahead! There's so much opportunity right around the corner.

"Payment Solution Specialist"

I have been working at LendingClub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay for responsibilities of the role. Definitely can grow within the company if you work at it. Great benefits and perks that include massages, a gym, free snacks, coffee, happy hour. There are always has company wide events that make boosts employee moral and to show appreciation for the employees. Overall, this is a great company to work for.

Cons

The role is a high call volume role, basically a call center, and you talk to customers for 8 hours a day. This role in particular is a customer service role where you deal with delinquent loans and try to collect from people -- so you can imagine how the conversations can go south pretty quickly. The role gets old quick, as with any customer service role, and you just want to get out the department as fast as possible. There's a metrics system where you're graded on the calls like it's a report card and can get written up for low grades.

3. "I'm having a good time with work"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at LendingClub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The product org has a bunch of good people who care about improving the borrower and investor experience. The new folks are bringing a positive energy. I've been having a super positive experience over the last 6 months.

Cons

Some of the legacy folks can be a drag but they are cycling out. Nothing out of the norm for a company of its size.

4. "Amazing Place to Work"

I have been working at LendingClub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people, culture, and business are strong. Always looking for the next new thing in customer engagement.

Cons

Some high-stress moments, but otherwise great!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see what's next, and hope to continue growing my career here.

5. "Sure there are challenges, but what mid-stage growth company doesn't have them?! I'm growing right along with it!!!"

Current Employee - People Success/Human Resources in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - People Success/Human Resources in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LendingClub full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Stellar leadership team & impressive board member line-up
    - Great location, work spaces, benefits & perks
    - Plenty of growth opportunity if you take ownership of your own career
    - Lean teams with tons of work to do = high exposure & impact
    - Awesome people at all levels of the company, who are truly passionate about the industry, product, customers & potential in the firm
    - All around great culture

Cons

- Not a ton of flexibility offered (work remote, flexible hours, etc.)
    - Accountability & communication amongst client groups aren't always in sync (the business is moving so fast; dynamic)

6. "Getting better"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LendingClub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Hiring has increased in Engineering
    2. Tech stack is getting better

Cons

1. Lots of transition work happening wrt products that could have been done much before

Advice to Management

1. focus more on mobile products

7. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LendingClub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managers care for the employees
    Decent pay
    Good work life balance
    Easier commute, if you live in the city. Closer to bart

Cons

Hire more engineers
    Health insurance plans could be better

8. "Great Company"

I worked at LendingClub full-time

Pros

- great people, benefits, overtime opportunity

Cons

- none to speak of, you get what you give

"Not a good CEO, no strategy"

I worked at LendingClub full-time

Pros

Good work life balance and workspace

Cons

Political, losing due to bad products, no future vision

"Credit"

Current Employee - Credit in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Credit in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LendingClub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Health Benefits, some smart and friendly people to work with, Snacks, on-site massages, team outings, company outings, coffee baristas.

Cons

Honestly, if you can walk away from this company, please do.
    Nobody is happy working here specifically in operations. Zero growth opportunity and no communication between upper management and the floor.

Turnover rate is insanely high that gives people no hope and overall moral is just low to the point where you can see people taking interview calls everywhere across the entire company. Promotion here considered as ladder move that gives no pay raise and way below the market. Giving false hopes and constant operational change make employees can’t trust a single word from the upper management anymore. All of your workflow and performance is heavily based on metrics and they hired all supervisors from retail and consumer service background that has zero knowledge and experience in financial service. All they do is scheduling one on one with you to talk about numbers and how to improve yourself Lending Club wisely and giving you “career advice” how to move to a “better” department, which I believe is just ironic and pathetic.

HR is just another joke in this company. Aside from making fake comments and giving good reviews here. They have done nothing for the employees. Trying to make this company that cares and values your opinion in any forms and capacity they can possibly do. During your existing interview, when employees actually bringing up the issues and what can be done better, HR plays dumb and acts never acknowledged of anything that has brought to their attention many times.

Favoritism and politics are full of every corner on the floor. Making interior move or they call “promotion” extremely difficult and management would literally pull you aside and ask you to join the newly launched product team repeatedly even after you told them you are not interested in.

Issues listed above are just small portion of what’s going on within the company. If you want to challenge yourself mentally everyday, be my guest.

Advice to Management

Instead of giving good and exciting news during all hands, treat your employees like Humans.