Lenovo Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Lenovo CEO Yang Yuanqing
Yang Yuanqing

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They understand a work life balance (in 61 reviews)

• Great work environment, great products (in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • Environment doesn't yield for good work life balance - that will be yours to manage (in 80 reviews)

• No work/life balance plan on taking your laptop home for a 6-7 day work week (in 18 reviews)

1. "Inside Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Lenovo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great. It is a very young environment so there is a lot of energy on the sales floor. Most of the managers are really good and flexible. They understand a work life balance. They do fun events and are always trying to keep the culture new and fresh

Cons

Moving to the field is difficult. The inside team likes to keep talent to long and it hurts career progression on employees that want to move up.

Advice to Management

Empower your employees to look into career advancement. Some manager are mirco-managers and need to understand our jobs are stressful and we do not need them making it worse

2. "Hi Teck company but lacks any work life balance."

Former Employee - Director in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Director in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Lenovo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot and did more in short time than elsewhere in many years.

Cons

Workload unreasonable. Work life balance non-existent.

Advice to Management

Good benefits and best vacation plan out there. Very flat organization with US site being more meaningful for sales than development or supply chain teams.

3. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Lenovo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited Vacation and Great Pay

Cons

Limited growth opportunities for US employees

Jul 7, 2017 – Global Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking time to share with us and for your continued service with the company! In 2016 we implemented our Flexible Vacation Policy and our goal was to be competitive within the industry... More

4. "Good for some, advancement doesn't happen for all, confusing & ever-changing mission."

Former Employee - User Experience in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - User Experience in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Lenovo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits overall. Unlimited vacation (subject to manager approval).
    First-hand involvement in the newest technology.
    Good workplace facilities.
    The team I worked on was filled with mostly great people who got a long & kept the place enjoyable on a personal level. Good work relationships are not easy to come by but this team was exceptional.

Cons

Lots of odd-hour calls (early AM, late PM sometimes past 11PM), makes work-life balance difficult & tough to disconnect from work - these aren't optional, its necessary when working closely with teams in Asia.
    Morale (at least in the US) is a roller-coaster, but hovers in the low. Some product teams feel restricted & unable to truly compete with the competition.
    Advancement & promotion has a clear path one day, then is fuzzy & timing is off on other days. It's tough to find a path to promotion even through straightforward conversations with management.
    Opportunities for individual development & education didn't seem to exist within the company.
    Strategy from Executives is a mixed-bag, but took a weird turn. Seems scattered, needs focus.
    Quality & supplier problems have become more consistent, which is concerning - customers are beginning to notice.
    The work of some disciplines isn't considered important when its inconvenient. If the results of your work are unpopular, a VP might yell at you in the middle of a meeting.

Advice to Management

Focus on a clear strategy, not a shotgun approach.
    Listen to your customers & users, as well as the data they provide to you.
    Continue to hire good people, cultivating an environment of people who work together & also get along (or at least don't hate or offend one another) is more important than you might think.
    Provide clear opportunities for your employees to improve themselves, advance within the company, & develop themselves, otherwise they'll keep leaving.
    Get rid of lengthy, outdated processes. Cut the fat, streamline.

"Director Alliance Sales"

Current Employee - Director in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Director in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Lenovo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lenovo offers an entrepreneurial environment that promotes free thinking and exploring new ways to get the job done. Leadership supports new ideas and finding new ways to compete. We have a culture of making big goals and fulfilling our commitments.

Cons

At Lenovo, it sometimes takes extra work and working in a global company can mean hours that are not traditional. Although Lenovo is a fast and dynamic work environment, the reward far outways the extra work we need to put in.

Advice to Management

Be present with the local leaders and employees. Drive the vision and take the time to make sure that the vision is pushed down to every level.

6. "Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Lenovo full-time

Pros

Laid back work environment, okay salary, flexible work hours.

Cons

Management throughout the admin center is very poor. The managers are never even around to see what the admin's are doing or the hard work that they are putting into their job. I had 17 directors that I was supporting. The only thing that my manager cared about was the feedback that she was receiving from 2 of the directors. I felt very discriminated against because of how I looked and what I wore. I would dress business professional every day, and I felt as if I were looked down upon because of this. They didn't take me seriously. My manager also said several things to me that made me feel like I wasn't intelligent enough to be successful within this position. It's almost like she wanted to knock down my self-esteem. They pick favorites and it is very much so like high school. Stay away from this position and the admin center at Lenovo. If you do not fit in, you will be looked down upon.

Advice to Management

Sit where the admin's sit so you can have a better idea of what they do every day VS. judging off of what other people are saying.

7. "Lenovo"

Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Lenovo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Global comprehensive IT solution provider

Cons

Slow ramp on acquisition of IBM System x

Advice to Management

Slow the constant management changes

Jul 7, 2017 – Global Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your time with the company and sharing with us today. Global solutions mean a lot to us and our customers and we are proud to see that you view them just as favorably as we do. Also, as... More

"The last three years were demotivating"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Lenovo (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Flexible hours
    Competitive compensation
    Decent work-life balance
    Talented, skilled co-workers making every effort to achieve company objectives
    Community involvement

Cons

Questionable business direction over the past three years
    Compensation impacts due to unprofitable business objectives over the past three years
    Less transparency that fostered concerns and degraded trust in Bonus compensation methodology

Advice to Management

Abandon the "Market share at all costs" strategy. Stop chasing deals that are unprofitable for the sake of unit sales...units do not get reported on the financial statement.
    Acknowledge the impact of the "market share" strategy and reward employees who execute it or adjust Bonus goals to account for "market share" results.

Jun 9, 2017 – Global Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share and also for your time dedication to the company for so many years. We enjoy seeing our current and former employees enjoy the many benefits we provide to our... More

9. "Come whenever you like, don't allow anyone else in, live happily everafter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Lenovo full-time

Pros

Lenovo is living on the laurels of IBM's and Moto's technology. Nice work environment where everyone feels (so) homely and they can come in and go anytime.

Cons

Do not see the momentum for growth. Some middle managers are focused about their career advancement at the cost of the company. These managers invent stuff on applicants to screen them out and keeps jobs opened forever. Otherwise, they exercise prejudice on applicant on various grounds, say how long they been looking etc.

Jul 7, 2017 – Global Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking time to share with us and also your continued service with the company. We are also pleased to see that you enjoy our work environment and the flexibility we provide for our... More

10. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - User Experience in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - User Experience in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Lenovo full-time

Pros

Great people. They are very smart and easy to work with
    Great management. Very competent and transparent
    Great facilities. A very nice place to work, with cafe and lots of lab space

Cons

a bit chaotic
    is there a process?

Advice to Management

Keep the great vibe and can-do culture to enable employees to do great things

Jun 9, 2017 – Global Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking time to share with us and for your service to the company! We are glad to see that you are enjoying our culture and our most important resource, our people. We also appreciate... More

Showing 920 of 1,013 reviews