Leon's Furniture Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Terry Leon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good income, yearly profit sharing, opportunity to move up in company and ample family time as you usually have 3 days off per week (in 9 reviews)

• Canadian company great people plus you can grow in the company (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours high turn over in staff (in 12 reviews)

• no minimum wage and long hours but I don't mind it (in 9 reviews)

"Terrible Pay, No Days Off"

Former Employee - Warehouse Manager in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Manager in Ontario, CA

I worked at Leon's Furniture full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Missing the people I worked with, I made some really good friends there
    Learned a lot about managing and business

Cons

Hard to pay your bills, for a better warehouse manager job I almost DOUBLED my salary that Leon's was paying. I never understood why managers kept leaving the company but now I understand that the company doesn't do a whole lot to keep you around.
    My new job is great because I actually get days off, working at Leons you are expected to be on call 24 hours a day if something goes wrong which it often did because I was the only one who knew what to do in the warehouse. All the warehouse guys and managers are brand new making the job hard. My favourite part about Leon's is everything is your fault when it goes wrong, and you are expected to work 24 hours until it is better, but it is Leon's causing people to quit because they only pay you minimum wage to start. YOU CAN'T HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TO

Advice to Management

I loved Leon's and never wanted to leave, but you guys have to be one of the cheapest companies to work for.

2. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Leon's Furniture full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Canadian company great people plus you can grow in the company

Cons

Long hours work holidays etc.

Advice to Management

None

3. "Great corporate culture, but awful employee benefits"

Current Employee - Front Office Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Front Office Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Leon's Furniture part-time

Pros

Great corporate culture, truly lives by the logo "Part of the Family".
    Profit sharing isn't bad either! The company loves to promote from within, so there's ample room to grow.

Cons

The minimum wage for front office employees, lack of company-wide employee engagement, nearly no employee benefits and the dreaded of all: retail hours.

I miss my weekends, I'm working virtually 12 hours per day on weekends. The company refuses to hire additional associates, forcing work to be shared amongst a very small team. Being worked to the point of complete mental exhaustion (especially around Christmas season- which, to be fair, is standard for the retail industry) but making minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Increase the hourly wage! You have us literally stuck at the bare minimum wage of the province. Don't be afraid to hire additional associates. Customer loyalty can be improved greatly when employees are motivated (compensated fairly) and not overworked (hire more). It's a risky investment to make, but I promise you it will pay off in the long run!

4. "Warehouse clerk"

Pros

The manager was flexible on your personal schedule and could therefore accommodate you when it was time to get your two weeks schedule.

Cons

The main con was how the salary growth worked. It would barely increase with experience. The possible dangers you can encounter in the workplace​ (a warehouse) are real. You have to be very careful with your safety.

Advice to Management

Management should be more careful when assigning tasks. By that, I mean that the managers should take more precautions with their employees and assure total safety for them.

5. "Manager"

I worked at Leon's Furniture full-time

Pros

Working with lots of different people.

Cons

Not enough pay...Long hours(when needed)...Not enough support from inside.

Advice to Management

Pay front line workers more to ensure happiness...Happy associates...Happy customers

6. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Leon's Furniture full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Worked at Leon's for over 5 years. Family company where sales pays decent if you are a competent salesperson. 4 day work week is a nice bonus which makes taking vacations easier too.

Cons

Benefits aren't great and some managers are focused more on numbers than what effects the numbers. Long days and work lots of promotions etc.

Advice to Management

Realize a problem exists before its too late. Listen to your staff and don't depend on everyone being replaceable as you will lose people that while they are replaceable you won't replace the effect they have.

7. "just keep looking at other options"

I worked at Leon's Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co workers were really nice.

Cons

Will not follow contract of pay structure. Long hours . Manager talks so inappropriately about female customers. No honest pay structure. Training is so shabby. Manager will lie to you, lie to a co worker and then pretend that you were not honest. If you value your time please apply somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Quit. If you can't be honest and you view woman the way you do you shouldn't be a manager.

8. "Hard to make a living selling here"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Leon's Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not too many. Some items you sell come with incentives (like mattresses can get you $50-175 on top of your commission).

Cons

Low commission rates 3% on the first 5K delivered in a week period then 5% over that. Flat 3% on appliances and electronics.

Advice to Management

Get trained! Make managers go through training before promoting them off the floor!

9. "Recent sales rep"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Red Deer, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Red Deer, AB (Canada)

I worked at Leon's Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice sales reps that work there. Very supportive. One of the nicest people I've worked with. Clean store.

Cons

Poor pos system. Hard to grasp. Hidden items in computer easy to make mistakes. Up grading from old system to new. Some use old some use new. If you don't make your bank your gone. Poor medical dental plan. Poor location no traffic. Make sure before you say yes to starting. You have to wear a certain atire just like sears .Flooded with sales reps . 10 on weekends. How do you make money. Only a few sales people make it. Its luck. You take turns by watching a camera at entrance for turn to sell. Introduction to customer then you have to watch them until they leave the store you can't take on other customers, rules. If your not present and someone asks for you you don't get the sales even if you put hrs into that customer. Rules. It's all luck. You don't have a life your always working even weekends and nights . Long days 10 hrs. Lots of paper work for what you get paid for.

Advice to Management

Don't hire so many sales people. Should take turns with sales people so that everyone gets a weekend off once a month. You don't need everyone on the floor Saturday and Sunday.

10. "sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Greater Sudbury, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales in Greater Sudbury, ON (Canada)

I worked at Leon's Furniture full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

customer and fellow co-workers were great....if need of time off they work with you.

Cons

turnover is very high in all departments including management.

Advice to Management

no comment...