Leona Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Bill Coats

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I get to work with students and families to make a difference (in 4 reviews)

• Seriously focused on students and families in some of the highest-need places in the country (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • They lost over 5 teachers when he became the new school leader (in 9 reviews)

• School facilities are not always as nice as traditional public schools since charter schools don't receive any capital funding (in 7 reviews)

"A Company to Make a Difference"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Leona Group full-time

Pros

The Leona Group is an excellent company who is looking to educate every student. They constantly are seeking the newest and most effective ways to grow the younger generations of our country. Parents cannot go wrong sending their students to a Leona school. Employees cannot go wrong joining the Leona team.

Cons

The Leona Group, just like all companies, has to think like a business. They have to make choices that are appropriate for a business, which can, at times, affect the student and/or employees negatively.

Aug 8, 2017 – H.R. Director

Thank you for your feedback. We are thrilled that you are having a good experience with the organization.

2. "ABT MELVINDALE (ANOTHER BROKE TEACHER)"

I worked at Leona Group full-time

Pros

There is nothing to nice to say about this school.

Cons

Classrooms have no air condition. Summers are hot and winters are cold. The school leader they currently had did not know what he was doing. Always stated he was a business person. They lost over 5 teachers when he became the new school leader. Gave no sense of accountability to students. School leader also was messing around with lunch lady and letting her run the school. This school is a joke to work at. He did such a poor job he knew he was going to get fired so put the blame on certain people and fired them. Then got demoted himself now there is a new school leader.

There pay sucks, once again only allowed a certain person to work more hours then others. If you are going to implement something do it for all not just for one specific person.

Advice to Management

Please keep work related things professional. If you plan on dating someone or doing something keep that on the low. Do not allow others to see how unprofessional you are with that person on school grounds. If you are a leader learn how to lead not allow others to make decisions for you

Aug 8, 2017 – H.R. Director

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback about your experience at the Academy for Business and Technology. We value feedback, both positive and negative, as an opportunity for improvement. We... More

"Can I give it zero stars?"

Former Employee - Teacher in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Teacher in Detroit, MI

I worked at Leona Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked with some of the best and hardest working teachers I have ever met.

Cons

Where do I start...
    Ok, the pay. Remember, the "school leader" is a business person. They get a salary as well as the profits left over from running a school under budget. Your bonus? Yeah, that's profit sharing. What do you think is their priority when it comes to pay - yours or theirs?

Evaluations - You are set up to fail. Their eval system is so basic and so limited that it cannot possibly capture the reality of teaching.

Or the "Leonagroup Kickoff" - a waste of a day and money that could be paying you better where you have to dress up like a business person and listen to Leona's propaganda all day.

Advice to Management

Education is not business. Schools should not be for-profit. Change or get out of the profession.

Aug 8, 2017 – H.R. Director

"Teacher at ABT- Melvindale"

Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Melvindale, MI
    Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Melvindale, MI

I worked at Leona Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with hard working and collaborative teachers and students

Cons

Large class sizes, zero accountability on student behavior, teachers are micromanaged through their lesson plans and observation. Observations are used to bully teachers who are not in the school leader's clique. Assessment data is manipulated for those teachers outside the clique to make them suffer for their evaluation. The data I submitted did not match the data in my evaluation. School leader refused to change the mistakes. School facilities are very poor. My classroom didn't have heat for the winter. Students and teachers are forced to wear winter coats in the classroom. In the hot fall and spring months there is no AC. My classroom got up to 85 degrees on several days. I had students dealing with dehydration issues. Technology resources are poor for a school with tech in its name. Students are constantly treating tech with zero respect and breaking them. My staff laptop and tablet were so poor (slow, minimal RAM, poor condition with keys missing) I ended up bringing my personal iPad to work. It ended up getting stolen by a student and admin just threw their hands up.

Staff are expected to work outside of school. If you don't volunteer it is held against you on your evaluation. Parent teacher conferences were held outside school hours in the evening. Staff meetings are held after school and were initially at most 1 hour when I started but started approaching two hours. Most of the meeting was spent on learning ever changing accountability measures and then on never ending whining.

Compensation is poor compared to public schools. Teachers are alloted 2 hours PTO per pay period. Many teachers with children went over their hours due to childcare. At the end of the year they had to pay back their salary for every hour they went over for childcare.

There is a reason admin are having trouble filling positions that have been posted for over a year. My last year the 8th grade science teacher position went unfilled for an entire year. The students went the entire year with random subs or admin just baby sitting the kids. No instruction occurring at all.

Advice to Management

Hold students accountable. Cap your class sizes or offer para pros. Follow state laws on special education accommodations. Recognize that teachers have a home life and don't hold it against them if cannot attend the voluntold after school school activities.

"Teacher"

Current Employee - Teaching in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Teaching in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Leona Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Teaching staff was good. Most are there for the right reason.

Cons

Administration. I have worked there for over 10 years and still have yet to have admin who is there to support teachers. They receive a lot of money based on size of schools. Little filters to teachers. Teachers are held more accountable than students. I don't recommend for new teachers or ones that want to move up or around in the company. Corporate is very unsupportive, they are people who the CEO just has a whim about. Lots of threats and very little support.

Advice to Management

Won't make any difference, so why bother.

"Entering my 11th year with Leona"

Current Employee - Curriculum Coach
    Current Employee - Curriculum Coach

I have been working at Leona Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As an 11 year employee, I support and believe in Leona's mission, which is to educate students who have suffered an academic disadvantage or who are underrepresented in a traditional school setting. Our students need strong and passionate people. I hold a graduate degree in secondary education, and I could teach elsewhere, but I am deeply devoted to these students. Recently, I moved into an administrative position, which is another advantage of working for Leona; there are many opportunities to step into leadership positions. In addition, there is tremendous support and training when one moves into or plans to move into a leadership position. Finally, and I realize this may sound insincere, I truly believe this is a family. I have developed long lasting friendships with people who are also still with Leona. I work with people who have taught at my school for 14 years. Dr. Coats, the founder, was on my campus two days ago, and he knows our teachers' names; he knows about them as people. The people who work for Leona are passionate, educated, prepared, and far ahead of many other schools in teaching common core standards and practices.

Cons

Payment is merit based, which is great as you can earn bonuses and pay increases for your efforts; however, you don't earn more money for additional education as is typical in the public school setting. In addition, students can be difficult to motivate and manage, which is why I stated that these students need strong teachers.

7. "Supporting students and teachers"

Current Employee - English Teacher/Curriculum Coach in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - English Teacher/Curriculum Coach in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Leona Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Leona group offers support and training to all employees from part time staff and first year teachers to long time (10+years) teaching staff and moves upward within the company.

Cons

Many schools teach at-risk students in low income neighborhoods - this is not necessarily bad, but challenging nonetheless. If you aren't sure about serving this population, it may not be great fit for everyone.

"TEacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Teacher in Detroit, MI

Pros

Students and families are great

Cons

Inexperienced educational leaders
    Too much paperwork

Advice to Management

Hire people who have a degree in education or a teaching background to be in leadership positions in schools

"Curriculum Coach"

Former Employee - Curriculum Coach in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Curriculum Coach in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Leona Group (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility. Loved the people I worked with. The teacher really care about the students. The also have a really good benefits package for health.

Cons

Working with people that lack education. At the Leona Group your education have no value. There is no pay scale. For an example leadership can pay you whatever they want. A teacher could have a bachelors degree with very little experience and make more money that a teacher with masters degree that have years of experience. There are principals/ school leaders that run schools that do not have college degree.

Advice to Management

Learn to value your teachers and respect education.

"It's a tough job, but its worth it"

Current Employee - Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Leona Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The support you get on a professional level is great. When it comes to the personal side and the struggles you may have with the job, health or family -- TLG is one of the best. The Leona Leadership has your back -- all you have to do it ask for the support and you'll get it.

Teaching is one of the most fulfilling jobs you can have, even more so when you work with students that have pushed aside, beaten down by society or had previously given up.

Competitive salaries and room to advance.

Cons

The job is tough. For those that think they can easily jump into a classroom with no prior training will have a tough time. With support, it can be done well, but with little dedication to the job, it's near impossible.

Advice to Management

Reward those in the trenches -- the teachers