Leprino Foods Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Mike Durkin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Challenging role, good pay and benefits (in 21 reviews)

• Strong benefits program includes profit sharing (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be tough, still stuck in the days when work is everything (in 24 reviews)

• No work life balance is the common factor with hourly and supervisor employees (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Senior Accountant"

I have been working at Leprino Foods full-time

Pros

I left Big 4 Public Accounting to take this position, and I can honestly say that even my "bad days" here are better than my good days were in public. I have never once regretted my decision to join this company. While there are the obvious benefits of my
    career switch (better hours, better pay, etc.), there were also some unexpected pros I would like to touch on:
    1. If you hate being micromanaged, this is the place for you! Never once have I felt like someone was looking over my shoulder instructing me every step of the way. Even during my first few months here, I noticed that my managers would give me the right balance of coaching and space/freedom to do things on my own.
    2. You cannot beat the culture. Everyone (and I mean everyone) treats everybody with kindness and respect. Everyone truly wants each other to succeed at the company - if individuals succeed then the company succeeds, and if the company succeeds then the employees will ultimately succeed. This mindset and culture is highly motivating and productive.
    3. The senior leadership group is approachable, honest, and transparent. This is not something I can say about any other "higher-ups" I have crossed paths with. They make an effort to get to know each any every person at the company, and they do it because they actually care about their people
    4. The company is extremely flexible and supports both my professional and personal goals.
    5. A ton of opportunities to grow, move into different departments, and broaden your understanding of the company. The company is also great at promoting internally.
    6. Great benefits!
    7. I have never dreaded going to work
    8. We always have cheese and pizza taste testings going on
    9. While this company is huge, it still maintains that family-feel

There are so many more great things about this company and the tone that the leadership group sets, and I highly recommend Leprino Foods as your next employer.

Cons

Parts of the office are a bit out-dated

Leprino Foods Response

Apr 12, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences here! The examples you shared are some of the great personal and professional experiences we are happy to highlight!

2. "Great company success story"

I have been working at Leprino Foods full-time

Pros

Visionary company for past 60+ years and still going strong

Cons

Sometimes a little slow to make changes

Advice to Management

Stronger communication throughout the company

"Family Culture is a Little Suffocating But Has Benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Leprino Foods full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reasonable work life balance
    Lots of training opportunities... depending on your department.

Cons

Limited top end growth unless you are related to the Leprino's

Advice to Management

Lot's of middle management who could focus more on growing talent and not playing favorites.

I want to win awards named after your children as much as you want to win awards named after my kids. Do away with the preferred parking and family named rewards.

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Morgan, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Morgan, CO

I worked at Leprino Foods full-time

Pros

There is nothing good about the Fort Morgan plant.the pay is not worth the constant harassment by foreman,supervisors and upper management.

Cons

the worst place I have ever worked.A lot of this things I saw,heard and witnesses while working there and some of it people that worked there told me after they quit.If you go to Hr the only thing you accomplish is have someone retaliate against you whether is a fireman,supervisor or management.There no separation between the HR Department and Upper management.HR will only help managements relatives and friends with their issues.There a lot of people that have no relation to management and they're not even getting a warning like they're supposed to if they make a mistake.they get a write up right away unless you have connections then you can screw up as much as you want and nothing ever happens.The point system does not apply to a lot of people that are friends with management,they get jobs without having the knowledge or knowing the first thing about what that job entails and get them even if they have more than 5 points.foremen and supervisor using the plant as a dating site and giving their new "girlfriends" special treatment and when they separate most of the time the woman either quits or transfers to a different department.Supervisors can quit and go back after a few months and get a job pretty similar to what they have after a week of being rehired.they get to be an operator/foreman relief/supervisor relief and the people that were supposed to interview for the supervisor job don't even have a shot to get that job.they have people that don't show up to work or even call and they get no points or even show up late and their time clock get fixed as if they showed up on time.A foreman that get 5 points or more gets his red hat taken away because he is not friends with management but on the other hand one that has had the same points but is friends with management keeps his red hat.the company looses a whole days production due to an employee doing something that they weren't supposed to due but since his a relative on upper management nothing happened to this employee even though they were witnesses and the Fort Morgan decided to cover it up.employees asked to do things a certain way because managements friends don't know how to read all the reports and to make it easer on their friend they make all of the changes to help them out.a lot of turnovers based on management and HR treating this plant as if it was their on and treating a lot of employees so bad that they quit instead of getting a hold of Corporate Hr because just like Myself we don't want to be retaliated against and the best way out is to quit.

Advice to Management

have corporate people look into all of these issues and Hr from corporate so that the Fort Morgan plant can go back to how it was a long time ago.

Leprino Foods Response

Jan 5, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your concerns. Leprino Foods maintains thorough policies and practices to ensure equal treatment of employees throughout the company, and prohibits retaliation of any kind... More

5. "Maintenance Mechanic"

Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic
    Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic

I have been working at Leprino Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Job, good benefits and raises equal to work performance.

Cons

Employees lack pride in their work.

"Read Reviews Carefully"

I have been working at Leprino Foods full-time

Pros

There is a lot of pride taken in the ingredients that are produced by Leprino Foods.

Cons

Before working here, please be sure to read the reviews already posted. The recent ones that are detailed are very accurate. Proceed with extreme caution if you make the choice to work here.

Advice to Management

Modernize thinking and office space, make sure that HR policies are consistent across departments, really address the engagement issue and try to determine what is causing the very low engagement numbers and extremely high year 1 & 2 turnover.

"Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Lemoore, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Lemoore, CA

I have been working at Leprino Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced environment with lots to learn! Never a dull moment. Some (not all) very great managers and people!!

Cons

Benefits package is below average. Management also pays more for health insurance. PTO package is well below what it should be.

Tend to pass over internal employees for promotion which can cause turmoil and discontent. Lots of people in management positions who know little to nothing about the process compared to employees who have been in hourly roles for years. Huge disconnect in the schedule and work/life balance between upper management and mid-level management. Managers expect their supervisor team to work overtime and their days off yet they are only there 40 or less hours per week Monday through Friday.

SEVERAL managers and supervisors who are poor people managers. Taking a class on managing people does little to nothing. This should be valued equally to technical knowledge when considering an applicant for these roles.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. Consider improvements on PTO benefits to promote a better work/life balance. Happy employees tend to stay. Work on mending the disconnect between supervisors and managers and expectations of both. Hard to respect a manager who forces you to work your days off "for the team" when they leave early afternoons and have weekends off

"Stay away from this company !!!"

Former Employee - Corporate Office in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Corporate Office in Denver, CO

I worked at Leprino Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are willing to pay more for talented individuals but you will end up doing tasks of lower levels with little orientations despite the on boarding process

Cons

Big egos, stagnant, they oversell the company and the positions on interview processes, previous achievements, credential and reputation will take you to the door but inside they do not respect your career.

Advice to Management

Be humble and true to the values company was founded on, evolve business strategies and corporate culture we are not anymore in 1970’s

"Stagnant. Caution."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Leprino Foods full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Financially sound. Deep pockets. Great technology. Pristine plants. Good quality products. Strong rank and file employees - hard working and dedicated. High market share. Many big customers. Amazing service level, drive and urgency.

Cons

Terrible culture. No appreciation for anyone below the ELT. No real training opportunities or career path outside a few functions. Totally top down. Employee surveys done but no real action. Most managers roll it out and do nothing with it. Just lip service. Owner is out of touch and runs around the basement screaming at people. Drives fear and intimidation which permeates the whole place. No one left on the ELT will stand up to him. Continually make excuses for his bad behavior and the "lesson". Totally insulting. Bullying behavior tolerated. Out of touch with customers and markets. Losing a lot of good people but no one cares. Leadership has hands tied. Culture will never improve until someone else takes over. Too bad the planned succession didn't work out. Pay attention to the half completed renovations. Jim didn't even want to finish them and give everyone a new modern environment.

Advice to Management

Wake up. Look in the mirror. Actually talk to people. Dig in deeper and really understand who is adding value.

10. "Maintenance Supervisor"

I have been working at Leprino Foods full-time

Pros

There is a Great Schedule

Cons

HR takes way too long to hire people.