Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss Reviews | Glassdoor

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss President Richard M Rothfuss
Richard M Rothfuss

Pros
  • PRO- Good pay, benefits, vacation, 401K and location (in 5 reviews)

• Its hard to give a pro for Lerner (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management will show little respect for employees (in 3 reviews)

• You have no room for growth and your job is so specialized that you will never be able to learn anything (in 3 reviews)

1. "Recommend"

Former Employee - Paralegal in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great firm to begin your career
    Benefits are really good
    Salary is good with experience
    Room for advancement
    Training is fantastic
    Sophisticated software that blows even the biggest litigation firms out of the water
    Great management
    Amazing owner/managing partner
    Firm very open to new ideas

Cons

Cannot work from home
    High turnover, although I'm not sure why
    Non-flexible schedule

Advice to Management

Provide paralegals with ongoing education and support
    Provide a more flexible schedule to paralegals

2. "Special Cases Paralegal"

Former Employee - Special Cases Paralegal in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Special Cases Paralegal in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Regular hours
    Paid parking Downtown

Cons

Terrible Management
    Mean People
    No breaks
    Little freedom or autonomy

Advice to Management

The upside: good pay, and regular hours, You really do learn a lot about the business and is an awesome crash course in being a paralegal. I really do believe you can leave this job and be prepared to work in ANY law firm. It's so fast paced and demanding-- excellent for learning a lot and working hard. But honestly, is a terrible place to work. This was my first "real" job out of college and it completely jaded me. You are literally chained to your desk. You can't talk to co-workers or even get a drink or go to the bathroom. HR spies on people via other employees, reads emails, etc. It's like Big Brother is watching ALWAYS. Just a terrible work environment. My advice would be to work there to get the experience, but leave at the first opportunity.

"anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss (More than 3 years)

Pros

You've gotta be kidding!! The health plan used to be a co-pay, low deductible proposition and now everyone is forced into the high-deductible plan. The 401k match is standard but they can snatch that away from you at anytime, plus they make one distribution at the end of the year. Who does that?

Cons

Management has no respect for employees. They are encouraged to snitch if they see you talking to your neighbor. Most communication is done by condescending e-mails. There are a handful of favorite employees who seem to be the ones that are always late and stay on the phone too long. At each round of layoffs, there are fewer people to complete all of the work. Most are working for a paycheck and do not enjoy being chained to desks. It's 5 o'clock somewhere ELSE

4. "Client Services"

Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Rutherfrd Col, NC
    Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Rutherfrd Col, NC

Pros

My coworkers were great, enjoyed working with them. Pay was also good.

Cons

A lot of temporary that don't get hired on.

Advice to Management

Hire people on that are good, don't let them wait for years.

"Title Clerk"

I worked at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss full-time

Pros

Its hard to give a pro for Lerner. I did enjoy the company of most of my co-workers.

Cons

No room for growth. Just a number. Don't believe that a happy employee is a good employee. Treated like children

6. "Paralegal"

Former Employee - Bankruptcy Caseload Paralegal II in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Bankruptcy Caseload Paralegal II in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A ton of exposure to all things bankruptcy and foreclosure. Forces you to learn how to manage your time wisely and to handle a large workload.

Cons

Over-worked, under-paid, and under-staffed. The management does not really seem to care about the rank and file workers.

Advice to Management

Be more forthcoming to the staff. Try to be a little more understanding that when you cut a department in half but still have the same amount of work those that are left will have a ton or work.

7. "Good to the lawyers"

Former Employee - Attorney III in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Attorney III in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast-paced, collaborative environment. High level of autonomy. Responsive staff.

Cons

Not a lot of variety in the type of work, but that's just due to the nature of the work itself.

"Mismanaged"

Former Employee - Team Lead in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss full-time

Pros

I enjoyed the team I lead. I made some great friends. Proud of the work I was able to accomplish with the minimal oppurtunies I had.

Cons

Mismanaged and micromanaged. I remember once trying to suggest a process improvement idea that would have sped up a process while ensuring the clients needs were met and getting a response from management asking who is complaining on my team. If only they worried about the clients, employees, and company instead of the petty things than I don't believe the company would be in the situation is now is in. There is zero individual accountability. It's a very sad thing to see such great employees be treated the way they are. I left on my own and was not laid off even though many were. It is very sad to see a company that had so much potential be mismanaged in every aspect.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and allow them to own their work. Allow employees to shine by not micromanaging every task. I work at a company now that allows that and even though the job gets hard I am very proud of the work I do because it's my work. Your employees come to work every day for you. Show them by respect and team work how appreciative you are of that. Let people have fun while on the job. You will have better work product. Allow teamwork to breed. Use the new renovations to allow your employees to talk, think, and brainstorm ideas to better the company and then listen hard to those ideas. The employees want and need to be heard. Work should not be like a jail. If you hear people talking and laughing feel grateful for that. It's not a bad thing. It means they are enjoying themselves while at work. I have that now and I love my company for that.
    Rick Rothfuss needs to look at his internal leaders. The ones that want to breed this atmosphere and nip it now before it is too late.

9. "Good pay horrible managmet"

Former Employee - Paralegal in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss (More than 8 years)

Pros

The salary is good, but not enough to make up for the way you are treated

Cons

Horrible management a popular saying the Less you know the further you go

Advice to Management

promote those who have knowledge, not your friends

"Great place to work if you like your every move micromanaged by management that does nothing but tell others what to do because they have no clue themselves"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss (More than 3 years)

Pros

It used to be a great place to work back when there was incentives and perks.

Cons

Everything here is a "con"! Management and most leads don't do anything but watch every move you make to make sure to point out anything that you can do better or faster! Hard work is not rewarded. Team morale is at an all time low.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees! We all feel like our heads are on a chopping block! "Surprise layoffs" are not good for business! Realize that when you layoff, someone else has to take on that persons job on top of their own so COMPENSATE accordingly!