Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Glennda Testone

1. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mission and community focused, increased staff participation, leadership and board oversight

Cons

Likely similar to other community centers, it's hard to say no to needs. This serves the mission, but can contribute to over-stretched staff and resources. A tough position for any nonprofit leader to negotiate.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on the mission, communicate openly and transparently with staff, and continue serving the community.

2. "For an .org to say that they're all about community and inclusiveness, you sure have a funny way of demonstrating that."

Former Employee - Program Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

+Working with the LGBTQ community and potentially making a difference in someone's life.
    +Based on my experience, the commute was short.
    +In a nice area of Greenwich Village.

Cons

-No upward mobility
    -Overly bureaucratic and political across the board
    -Health package was cheap but so was the coverage (you get what you pay for)
    -During my time there, some employees lacked any accountability, empathy, or responsibility.

Advice to Management

Please take the workhorse's feedback more seriously and stop giving promotions to those that really don't deserve them. Also, if you're going to be an inclusive space, please stop catering to certain kinds of people. Thank you.

3. "Social Work Consultant"

Former Employee - Social Worker in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Social Worker in New York, NY

I worked at Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The clients are wonderful, and (most of) the people working are truly dedicated and happy with the work.
    -Good location.
    -Worthwhile if you can deal with the cons.

Cons

-Ridiculous politics. The money goes to the top and the salaries are VERY POOR.
    -Many burnt out people given too much work and very little money or benefits.
    -Supervision is very mixed- mine was an angel but I got very lucky.
    -Things are constantly changing, and somehow always for the worse...

Advice to Management

Stop sending all the money (which already isn't much) to the higher ups, and pay your workers! You are supposed to be there for the clients and at this point you aren't even there for the staff, muchless the people who need us.

5. "I wouldn't."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Great building with coffee shop. Mostly great people to work with who have common values.

Cons

The COO is not a nice person. Horrible salaries and non transparency with employees. They work you hard and don't appreciate the results.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and pay them commensurate with the work.

6. "Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Inspiring programs, beautiful environment, in building coffee shop

Cons

poor work/life balance, low compensation

7. "Not a very empowering place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Medical benefits, vacation and dental are offered. Official work hours are good, 10-6pm. Dress is casual.

Cons

Poor management. Very catty and gossipy culture. Felt as if the men were given better salaries and promotions than women.

Advice to Management

Management needs better training on how to manage diverse groups of employees. They need a real HR dept.

8. "Perfect example of the non-profit industrial complex"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Good benefits, feel-good work, pretty good group of people to work with, great location, some fringe benefits, some flexibility with schedule

Cons

Salaries are way too low, cost of benefits package has increased significantly, upper management totally takes advantage of rest of staff.

Advice to Management

If you pay people more accordingly to the quality of work they are producing, maybe so many people won't leave.

9. "Always striving to be better!"

I have been working at Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Word is there are unfair reviews on this site so I am adding my two cents. The NYC Center is a great place to work, period. Every mid-size nonprofit has its issues, and many struggle to meet the demands of those they serve while caring for employees. To say that management, including anyone in particular, treats employees unfairly or without regard, is not only flat out wrong, it is unfair. My experience is that the Center's management, especially the COO, goes out of its and his way to support employees, both personally and professionally.

Based on the disgruntled reviews on this site, I'd say the organization made some pretty smart termination decisions!

Cons

-- Direct service/community setting can be challenging.
    -- Some co-workers politicize everything.
    -- Diversity of upper leadership (which they speak about as needing improvement).
    -- Funding for admin and support (non program) always tight, which impacts pay and benefits.

Advice to Management

Continue the good work! There has been a lot of internal improvement over the last year, and good decisions about letting people go that needed to go. Keeping listening to employees and communicating with transparency.

10. "Positive Experience Overall"

Pros

After randomly finding myself on this page, I am dismayed by the predominantly negative reviews. I think The Center has made strides in the last few years to engage it's employees (me!) and work on the overall benefits offerings and employee experience. Last year, we filled out a staff engagement survey and some of the issues described in these reviews came up. Since then, I have noticed a real shift in management transparency and their overall desire to address comp, benefits and general policy feedback; they even went so far as to do a comp analysis of the entire organization last year to make sure employees were being paid appropriately.

In addition, staff are truly passionate and committed to helping our community. It is a really cool space where staff from all depts. interact and assist each other. There was a reorg last year that was disruptive (as all reorgs are), but again, I think management handled it appropriately given the circumstances.

Cons

-Health insurance could be better, but ACA regulations impacted plans this year.
    -Growth planning - as the org begins to serve more members of the community, making sure there are plans for sustainable growth.
    -As an org., need to learn to say no to things - if not, employees may end up burning out.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to staff - if you see a particular trend ask questions/explore.

11. "Want to give a better review"

Pros

Does great work, 99% of staff are great

Cons

Poor management, not good to employees