Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Glennda Testone

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mission and community focused, increased staff participation, leadership and board oversight

Cons

Likely similar to other community centers, it's hard to say no to needs. This serves the mission, but can contribute to over-stretched staff and resources. A tough position for any nonprofit leader to negotiate.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on the mission, communicate openly and transparently with staff, and continue serving the community.

2. "Inspiring, but can be stifling."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some strong coworker relations. Glennda (Executive Director) is extremely warm, approachable and open to feedback. Most of the staff is extremely intelligent and are really striving to serve and uplift the community, which is inspiring.

Cons

Lack of cultural competency across upper management with no planned cultural competency trainings. Staff at an LGBT center should know how to talk about queer identities, sex work, etc. and it was surprising to me that there was senior leadership that didn't know. Lack of vision for some positions and growth appears to be generally stifled unless on the development team.

No clarity across the organization for what each level of seniority means, which contributes to a low morale (some teams have each member being promoted every year, while others haven't had anyone promoted for 4+ years except the head of the team).

Advice to Management

Increase number of required cultural competency trainings. Improve annual review practices to ensure that there is equality across the organization in what constitutes a raise and/or promotion.

3. "Positive Experience Overall"

I have been working at Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After randomly finding myself on this page, I am dismayed by the predominantly negative reviews. I think The Center has made strides in the last few years to engage it's employees (me!) and work on the overall benefits offerings and employee experience. Last year, we filled out a staff engagement survey and some of the issues described in these reviews came up. Since then, I have noticed a real shift in management transparency and their overall desire to address comp, benefits and general policy feedback; they even went so far as to do a comp analysis of the entire organization last year to make sure employees were being paid appropriately.

In addition, staff are truly passionate and committed to helping our community. It is a really cool space where staff from all depts. interact and assist each other. There was a reorg last year that was disruptive (as all reorgs are), but again, I think management handled it appropriately given the circumstances.

Cons

-Health insurance could be better, but ACA regulations impacted plans this year.
    -Growth planning - as the org begins to serve more members of the community, making sure there are plans for sustainable growth.
    -As an org., need to learn to say no to things - if not, employees may end up burning out.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to staff - if you see a particular trend ask questions/explore.

4. "Always striving to be better!"

Pros

Word is there are unfair reviews on this site so I am adding my two cents. The NYC Center is a great place to work, period. Every mid-size nonprofit has its issues, and many struggle to meet the demands of those they serve while caring for employees. To say that management, including anyone in particular, treats employees unfairly or without regard, is not only flat out wrong, it is unfair. My experience is that the Center's management, especially the COO, goes out of its and his way to support employees, both personally and professionally.

Based on the disgruntled reviews on this site, I'd say the organization made some pretty smart termination decisions!

Cons

-- Direct service/community setting can be challenging.
    -- Some co-workers politicize everything.
    -- Diversity of upper leadership (which they speak about as needing improvement).
    -- Funding for admin and support (non program) always tight, which impacts pay and benefits.

Advice to Management

Continue the good work! There has been a lot of internal improvement over the last year, and good decisions about letting people go that needed to go. Keeping listening to employees and communicating with transparency.

5. "For an .org to say that they're all about community and inclusiveness, you sure have a funny way of demonstrating that."

Former Employee - Program Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

+Working with the LGBTQ community and potentially making a difference in someone's life.
    +Based on my experience, the commute was short.
    +In a nice area of Greenwich Village.

Cons

-No upward mobility
    -Overly bureaucratic and political across the board
    -Health package was cheap but so was the coverage (you get what you pay for)
    -During my time there, some employees lacked any accountability, empathy, or responsibility.

Advice to Management

Please take the workhorse's feedback more seriously and stop giving promotions to those that really don't deserve them. Also, if you're going to be an inclusive space, please stop catering to certain kinds of people. Thank you.

6. "Social Work Consultant"

Former Employee - Social Worker in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Social Worker in New York, NY

I worked at Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The clients are wonderful, and (most of) the people working are truly dedicated and happy with the work.
    -Good location.
    -Worthwhile if you can deal with the cons.

Cons

-Ridiculous politics. The money goes to the top and the salaries are VERY POOR.
    -Many burnt out people given too much work and very little money or benefits.
    -Supervision is very mixed- mine was an angel but I got very lucky.
    -Things are constantly changing, and somehow always for the worse...

Advice to Management

Stop sending all the money (which already isn't much) to the higher ups, and pay your workers! You are supposed to be there for the clients and at this point you aren't even there for the staff, muchless the people who need us.

7. "Want to give a better review"

Pros

Does great work, 99% of staff are great

Cons

Poor management, not good to employees

8. "I wouldn't."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Great building with coffee shop. Mostly great people to work with who have common values.

Cons

The COO is not a nice person. Horrible salaries and non transparency with employees. They work you hard and don't appreciate the results.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and pay them commensurate with the work.

9. "Well...."

Pros

- Great cultural history
    - Community center
    - (Majority) of the staff
    - Impact-focused work
    - Glennda is a wonderful leader and visionary and is genuinely a hoot and a half.

Cons

- Low pay (has gotten slightly better over the years, but still needs work)
    - Senior management (specifically the COO)

Advice to Management

Increase diversity on staff and senior management. Work on retaining of employees. Develop and institute cultural competency trainings. Be more transparent.

10. "Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Inspiring programs, beautiful environment, in building coffee shop

Cons

poor work/life balance, low compensation