Leslie Hindman Auctioneers Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

"Great Company, Many Roles, Exceptional Knowledge"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

Leader in the auction and art world. Exposed to exceptional objects and opportunities to learn everyday. Management encourages and supports employees to take on new responsibilities.

Cons

Unclear job descriptions and responsibilities. Cluttered and over crowded workspaces. Inefficient property flow and management. Unclear advancement opportunities and mentorship.

Advice to Management

Set up clearer mentorship and advancement system in relation to yearly and bi-yearly reviews. Design more room for workspaces and desks. Incorporate better compensation and incentives to company benefits.

"Careful what you read on here."

I have been working at Leslie Hindman Auctioneers full-time

Pros

N/A (There is a five word minimum in here)

Cons

All positive notes were incentivized. At a company meeting, employees were encouraged to write positive reviews on the site after so many people trashed it over the years. The rest is true… The company is failing FAST and it’s caused a lot of internal chaos and conflict. You’ll be compensated at poverty level and frowned upon for leaving on time or not volunteering on weekends. The CEO treats people like scum, often cursing and threatening them for not meeting impossible standards, turning good people into demonizing creatures like herself. She encourages the spreading of gossip, especially scrutinizing hard on women like myself for what they wear and how they act. Not the feminist you’d hope to work under. Oh and she buys her favorite five people condos, vacations, gifts, invites them to her home... I have watched many young people (especially recent grads) lose their dignity in this environment very rapidly, which is why I forced myself to write this. I hope that young people do not apply here and work somewhere else! What an awful, dark, miserable place.

"Good people!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

All of my co-workers are amazing, the atmosphere is really one of a team, will often promote from within

Cons

Ridiculous hours- this is not a 9-5 job, horrible clients, raises are extremely rare, the CEO can be very difficult. She is mercurial and often does not respect the rest of the staff.

"Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

Pros

Employees were kind and engaged.

Cons

Internship was unpaid with little to no guidance from senior employees (or the powers that be). Information sessions on the auction world and/or current art market would have been beneficial.

"Director, Business Development"

Former Employee - Director, Business Development in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director, Business Development in Chicago, IL

I worked at Leslie Hindman Auctioneers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Among the top firms in Chicago and entire Midwest to learn the auction business and gain valuable work experience in a profitable, fast-paced, sophisticated Art business.

Cons

The pace can be grueling during busy seasons, which occur often throughout the year. Workspace is tight. Close quarters with co-workers is helpful, but often very distracting.

Advice to Management

Redesign workspace with more thoughtful use of space.

Mar 4, 2016 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your candor. The leadership team has been working on redesigning our space and made some significant improvements over the last couple months. We always want ... More

"Internship"

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Leslie Hindman Auctioneers (Less than a year)

Pros

Hands on. Self-starter. I enjoyed my internship here, but wouldn't work for this company.

Cons

HIGH turnover rate.
    Personal relationships withLeslie will either get you a job, or will bypass said article and place it in the lot even if it isn't up to standards or goes well with the current auction.

"This is not a career apportunity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Leslie Hindman Auctioneers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I found the auction items and history behind them very interesting.

Cons

So many of the negative review really describe the environment. It is toxic. I was brought in to rework a department that desperately needed it. I had rework reports and show the good, bad and any many cases ugly of my department. One of my staff was, as people have said, was Leslie's "favorite". I could not point out errors, or change procedures or make the changes needed to turn the department around. I was told, by Leslie to "get along with her" or it was my job. I ended up doing most of the work myself, but with a toxic person in my department going out of her way to make things difficult, it eventually resulted in my job.

On other items I found interesting, was during the interview process I was told there would be overtime due auctions on Saturday & Sunday's, but I would be comp'd for my time when things slowed down. When I asked for time off it was refused and if you took time off, it was frowned upon.

If you take a job here, you will only have to explain the short time there to future employers.

"Interesting industry, management needs improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Leslie Hindman Auctioneers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every day is different and the industry is very interesting. The people who work at LHA are very intelligent and the team dynamic is very strong. Every effort is collaborative and everyone seems to pull their weight and work extremely hard on every assignment and auction. Procedures and structures are constantly improved and new ideas are welcomed and often implemented. Huge learning opportunity and great people.

Cons

There isn't a very good management structure- I have never heard of anyone having a review and the management structure is undefined. Working conditions aren't great as everyone is sandwiched into small spaces with little natural light. Employees are rarely rewarded or even acknowledged for going above and beyond.

Advice to Management

Do more to retain good employees. Turnover is very high.

Aug 3, 2015 – HR Manager

Thank you for providing this thoughtful review. We agree we've got some brilliant talent here at LHA, and we thrive on teamwork! Reviews are done around 90 days after hire and then annually. Please ... More

9. "An amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Leslie Hindman Auctioneers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment, everyone is helpful and truly cares. Coming from a large corporate background, it’s very refreshing to be a person rather than a number. The main pro to being at LHA is having such great exposure to amazing artwork and other property, and participating in the auctions. There's never a dull moment, and there’s a wealth of smart, talented, interesting and passionate employees. Work-life balance is also a huge positive about this company.

Cons

I don't consider this a con, but if you are looking for career growth expect to work hard, development your skills, and expand your knowledge.

Advice to Management

Keep empowering your teams to strive for greatness. Continue to hire only the best candidates. Continue to share the company's growth plan, strategies, and outlook. Continue to work hard on retaining the best talent.

"Chicago Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

It is truly fascinating to see the wide variety of property consigned for auction that comes through the door on a daily basis. If you have an interest in antique furniture, fine art, expensive jewelry or any of the other many categories auctioned here, this is a great place to get hands-on interactions with the objects, learn about them from the specialists and greatly increase your knowledge base. There are a lot of competitor's catalogues and other relevant literature in the office that one can read to learn more about the history and details of the various categories and the auction business in general.

The business development team (and regional offices) are very successful in finding high-profile estates and collections available for auction and convincing their owners to sell through the firm.

The property department does an excellent job organizing and managing the hundreds of items that move through the building every day. The four large preview spaces in the building are expertly arranged by them for each auction and are like mini museums that change every month.

The photography department shoots and edits every piece of property that sells at auction, which can be thousands of pieces each month. The photos are used for print catalogues, online catalogues, print and online advertising, and pop-up individually on monitors during the auctions.

The marketing department produces high-quality print catalogues for every sale, designs magazine and online ads, publishes press releases, organizes radio and television appearances and manages a healthy social media presence.

Auction days can be exciting when the top lots go up for sale. A Thomas Hart Benton painting recently sold for over one million dollars, a Louis XV commode recently sold for $128,000 and fine jewelry pieces regularly sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Cons

The staffing is somewhat thin considering all of the work that needs to be done to successfully run the business at a high level. When you are dealing with consigners, buyers and property that is worth so much $$, you cannot make mistakes. The necessary level of detail required often means that the staff is working a lot of unpaid overtime hours. In addition, weekend and evening previews and auctions are staffed by employees and attendance is often mandatory.

The management structure is somewhat loose and undefined. Employees with "stronger" personalities can sometimes dominate project discussions - for better or worse. The true decision-maker in most cases is the owner. While she is a smart and experienced businessperson, there is only so much time in the day, and it can be difficult to get a timely meeting with her in order to keep your projects moving along on schedule.

Advice to Management

Give a few of your trusted leaders the authority to make some of the day-to-day decisions without "checking-in" for owner approval. This would greatly speed-up the timeline on some of the less-important projects, giving us all more time to spend on the truly important ones.

Jul 30, 2015 – HR Manager

Thank you for your thoughtful review. As our business has grown, we definitely are working to hire to the needs of the business and understand that we've been stretched thin at times in certain ... More