Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Campaign Coordinator Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 27, 2017

Found 12 reviews

2.7
Louis J. DeGennaro
  1. "I've had a great experience working at LLS and have had the opportunity to grow within the company"

Current Employee - Campaign Coordinator in Hollywood, FL

I have been working at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, great work-life balance, wonderful mission

Cons

Technologically behind, Low salaries, under-staffed,

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society2014-01-12
  2. "Campaign Coordinator"

Former Employee - Campaign Coordinator in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good foundation for the fundraising field

Cons

There was no room for advancement.

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society2017-11-27

"Good organization with unfortunate cultural problems"

Former Employee - Campaign Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

LLS has a great mission to, unlike many cancer organizations which focus on awareness, prevention, etc, focuses on funding research and clinical trials to find cures for blood cancers. The national organization's unrelenting focus and achievements are admirable and due to the work of many passionate employees. I encountered many kind and super motivated people in my time with LLS.

Cons

The company culture was toxic, cliquey, gossipy, and snide. Senior staff would cut staff members short, visibly roll their eyes and shut down clarifying questions or comments in meetings. Employees favored by senior management were united in trying to isolate some managers, laughing openly that they would be fired in short time. Often new employees would find that they were either "in the club" or not quickly. Those who...

Advice to Management

Stop trying to emulate a caricature of wall street style management, pitting certain groups against each other and throwing chaos into routine endeavors like fundraising, event planning or donor retention efforts. Work with new folks with an open mind, or place more of an up-front emphasis on getting cultural fit from new hires.

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society2017-02-27

"Campaign Coordinator Review"

Former Employee - Campaign Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society for more than 3 years

Pros

Good for networking and making connections, entry level admin job

Cons

Limited Growth Opportunities, lots of micro-management

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society2016-12-16

"Churn and Burn Non profit Mentality"

Former Employee - Campaign Coordinator in Washington, DC

I worked at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society

Pros

LLS provides great opportunities for young professionals, helping you learn the ins and outs of the non profit industry. Some management are great employees and have become more mentors. Overall, the people at LLS are outstanding. LLS also does a great job connecting you to the mission and making you feel included.

Cons

Senior leadership at LLS thought if you left, you can be replaced (and cheaply). Salary is low, typically below average for non-profits and you are expected to work whenever they say.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your staff at their first date of hiring and try to help them succeed more and promote within instead of hiring management from outside.

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society2016-01-12

"DO NOT WORK HERE!!!"

Former Employee - Campaign Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society for more than 3 years

Pros

Really good benefits/vacation time. Good cause.

Cons

I would give this place no stars. Do not work here unless you like to be micromanaged and talked down to at every turn. Incredibly poor management who use belittling and condescension as leadership tactics. And that would be fine if they actually knew how to succeed and reach chapter goals, but they are completely incompetent. The chapter is run by directors who have learned to b.s. their way up to the top and do not...

Advice to Management

Hire competent Campaign Directors and keep a close eye on them. Hire people who actually care about the cause and have a passion for fundraising, not the selfish corporate world rejects I experienced.

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society2015-09-23

"Great Mission, incredible people involved,.......... thats it"

Former Employee - Campaign Coordinator

I worked at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The overall mission of the organization and everything that has been accomplishment since day one has been incredible. The people involved with the organization are compassionate and devoted to do more to achieve the goal of the mission.

Cons

High stress, low pay position. Upper management is way too overly unrealistic in numbers during fiscal year. I agree with other reviewers that there is a LOT of favoritism with many staff members and many double standards. Highly inappropriate and unethical actions on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Get rid of management and keep those individuals that actually want to be there. Give them a chance to grow and not get rid of them because they aren't working to executive director standards.

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society2014-07-22

"Great volunteers; poor workplace environment."

Former Employee - Campaign Coordinator

I worked at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time for less than a year

Pros

It was beyond amazing meeting survivors, family members, and athletes who were passionate about fundraising and/or training. Good benefits and pay for entry-level.

Cons

Ridiculous hours, disrespectful and highly judgmental work environment, expectations that cannot be met, lots of blame thrown around. On the job training was way worse and different than what they had told me to expect (when I asked about job training in the last interview.) They completely threw out the giant training handbook that people before me had used.

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society2014-03-27

"Sucked the living daylights out of me."

Current Employee - Campaign Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time for less than a year

Pros

Best reasons I can think of is its mission and those staff who work at the bottom (assistants, interns and temps) are truly genuine.

Cons

I have way too much to say here. MICROMANAGING AT ITS WORST. First off, they let people go for no reason, have you sign a contract to confirm that you quit on your own so they don't have to pay you unemployment and WILL NOT give you a reason as to why they let you go. Secondly, they have no respect for their staff. The entire organization was jewish women, no offense but where is the DIVERSITY? and finally, they instill...

Advice to Management

STOP micromanaging, diversify your org, and HAVE A HEART FOR YOUR EMPLOYEES.

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society2012-12-01

"Accustom to high turnover so not committed to lots of training"

Former Employee - Campaign Coordinator in

I worked at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is an organization with a great cause and you have the opportunity to work with wonderful people in the public sector. Being able to help patients and their families during a time in their life that is difficult is a very rewarding job experience!

Cons

It is very low pay as with most nonprofits, and in my particular position there was lots of hours expected with small rewards and very little understanding of one's personal time

Advice to Management

Care for your employees as much as though you are helping

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society2012-08-23