Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Louis J. DeGennaro

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Supportive executive management; good work life balance; ability to truly give back" (in 19 reviews)

• "Great mission; wonderful co-workers and staff who are excellent at their jobs; job satisfaction knowing you are contributing to a good cause" (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay and low work life balance" (in 27 reviews)

• "No salary, but that's to obvious when you volunteer with a non-profit" (in 30 reviews)

1. "Intern"

I have been working at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is nice and I loved working with my supervisor

Cons

Not much work. There was times where I was staring at my computer screen

"We ARE going to find cures for cancer!"

Pros

It is an absolute pleasure to come to work every day. I fully believe that this organization will fund the cure for cancer. We are not just curing blood cancers, but all cancers.

I have the most dedicated colleagues that I have ever had the pleasure to work with from the National Office to Chapter Staff.

We are forward thinking and nimble enough to make sure we are serving patients, funding research and raising money to support co-pay assistance, travel assistance and community based programing.

Every day I know the hard work we put in helps to save someone's life or make their life better.

We have a healthy balance of non-profit and for-profit experience through out the organization.

LLS puts resources into staff training, retention and benefits... truly making sure we hire and retain the best employees.

Cons

We haven't cured cancer yet!

Advice to Management

Thank you for making LLS a great place to work.

3. "Pleasant Work Environment"

Former Employee - Senior Program Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission is critically important to everyone involved.

Cons

It is hard to lose people to the disease.

"Used to be a great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society part-time

Pros

Cons

Lots of turnover; overworked and underpaid employees, even after multiple record-setting years of fundraising (i.e. positions elminiated, increased hours) ; most issues stem from the chapter leadership; lack of trust in management

Advice to Management

This used to be a very tight-knit group that was incredibly successful with a family-like atmosphere. All of that has changed under current leadership. National staff needs to take a closer look at the chapter leadership and make changes to avoid losing more talented employees.

"Hopefully moving in the right direction."

Current Employee - Campaign Assistant in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Campaign Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great mission and vision. 75% of funds raised go directly towards the mission. I have moved around to a few different campaigns and titles within LLS since being a campaign assistant for the Light the Night Campaign. LLS is a great organization and is working to change their internal struggles with recent management changes. It has caused some growing pains within the chapter staff from national, but hopefully there will be positive outcomes soon!

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth. Lots of politics between coworkers and national to chapter level.

6. "They didn't keep a budget before 2015..."

I worked at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time

Pros

They advocate for research development.

Cons

My department was eliminated as a cost savings strategy. We provided support to patients and their families. The previous CEO didn't maintain or support a budget.

"Make a difference. Great mission. Low pay. Lots of Work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for a greater cause; working for something you're proud of and that you're truly benefiting society.
    Flexible with some work from home days.
    Great coworkers

Cons

A lot of work for little pay.
    Lack of job security.

Advice to Management

Strategize how to sustain fundraising campaigns for the long run (ie, 5 year plan, 10 year plan) rather than year over year.

"Campaign Director"

I worked at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tons of training - fairly flexible, autonomous work environment, peers were the best

Cons

ED had a problem with drinking and it was embarrassing! HR absolutely knew and did nothing other than a slap on the hand. The board knew and did nothing. Any HR issues with staff were met with " find some way to work it out" - The payscale is not to scale.

Advice to Management

look deeper into the chapters.. there is a reason why turnover is so high

9. "Mission is amazing but organization does not provide support for success of employees."

Former Employee - Campaign Manager
    Former Employee - Campaign Manager

I worked at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The survivors you meet and hear their stories of overcoming the diseases touches your heart daily. Research is key and LLS spends accordingly.

Cons

Employees fend for themselves and does not lend to team efforts. Existing staff does not trust new personnel and has a clique feeling among coworkers. Sink or swim mentality on education of employees. Short career life spans with those with tenure about 3 years.

Advice to Management

Commit to your employees the resources and training with the goal of building success. Turn and burn is a reputation that plagues 501c3s and systemically proving that LLS may be guilty of this.

10. "Great mission, horrible work culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible research resulting from the fundraising. The people not at the executive level in the national office are mostly incredible to work with. Most chapters have amazing staff.

The years the org as a whole surpassed budget, the benefits package was great for me (under 40, single, no kids, general good health).

Cons

The salary increases that came out of left field (though much appreciated!) did not apply fairly - they were applied to only campaign staff and not to administrative staff in the Chapter level. I advocated successfully for my direct report to be part of that pay bump, which I am proud of and she certainly deserved. My managers failed me though and despite having 10 years of professional experience, I was making the same as my direct report who had 2 years experience.

After a much needed org-wide technology upgrade & initiative - several hundred thousand dollars at my chapter alone, and the pay increased mentioned above, we had major layoffs last than four months later.

For campaign staff in the major metropolitan areas, when there isn't an actual event occuring: unrealistic expectation be available via email or phone to volunteers off-hours. Many volunteers are high level corporate types used to being on call and expect their campaign contacts to be on call 24/7.

Advice to Management

Staff turnover is normal in this industry, but when 1/3 of a chapter voluntarily leaves within an 8 month period, with promotions readily available, leadership in the chapter should be examined asap not a year later.