Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Senior Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 12, 2019

Found 12 reviews

3.9
Louis J. DeGennaro
  1. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Campaign Manager in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Care about employees and the work

Cons

There are no real cons for this job

Advice to Management

none

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society2019-06-12
  2. "Great mission, local leadership needs direction."

Former Employee - Senior Campaign Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Have saved countless lives as a result of their work and advancements in blood cancer research. Passionate volunteers and board members. Staff truly do care about their work. Really enjoyed being there.

Cons

Data management and record keeping is sorely lacking. Information is kept in numerous Excel spreadsheets, in numerous locations, and is hard to find or paint the bigger picture of corporate partnerships. Much of the information are met in people’s heads. Local leadership is steering the ship without a compass. Everything is typically done last minute and in rush, despite the event occurring on an annual basis.

Advice to Management

Implement better data and record keeping procedures for donor/sponsor management.

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society2019-05-20

"Rewarding mission, Poor work environment"

Current Employee - Senior Campaign Manager

I have been working at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Inspiring mission, dollars spent wisely; CEO and Senior Leadership have a great vision; rewarding day-to-day work, partnering with volunteers and being part of campaign growth

Cons

Environment varies from Chapter to Chapter depending on local leadership. My Chapter’s culture is toxic; morale and turnover is horrible. HR has not been receptive to concerns. EDs don’t seem to have a clear role or accountability.

Advice to Management

Focus on boosting employee morale, and listen to your employees (ex: we were given an employee engagement survey, but the poor results were ignored); need better systems in place to support the field (IT, HR, CRM software, etc).

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society2017-11-05

"Fundraising is Sales"

Current Employee - Senior Campaign Manager in Harrisburg, PA

Pros

LLS is drastically different depending on the chapter and the campaign in which you work on. National office is trying to implement campaign standards to make a more cohesive experience. I have been at LLS for over 3 years in Man & Woman of the Year and I love my job. I have the freedom to make my campaign my own, I have the trust of my manager and the regional and national staff. I have learned SO MUCH about science...

Cons

The first 1.5 years. Generally speaking most campaigns are on yearly cycles, so it takes a whole year to see all aspects of a campaign. It isn't until the 2nd and 3rd year that you start to feel confident in making your job your own. There is little to know training- it is sink or swim in the first year, which really isn't fair and definitely leads to turn over. Staff is scarce and everyone has full plates, which means...

Advice to Management

Absolutely have to making training mandatory and hold off on making new employees accountable until they are trained properly.

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society2017-06-20
  5. "Senior Campaign Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Campaign Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Incredibly mission focused and patient centric.

Cons

Can be a challenge to maintain a healthy work/life balance.

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society2017-06-04

"Great mission, very low salary, very high stress"

Former Employee - Senior Campaign Manager

I worked at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

No doubt LLS does great work providing resources and care to blood cancer patients, and funding invaluable research.

Cons

I took a $20k pay cut over my last job (also in the development field) when I came to LLS, and that was after the hiring manager got permission to offer me $10k above the prescribed salary range. The job was extremely high stress with long hours, and my supervisor repeatedly threw her staff "under the bus" in order to save herself. The turnover was extremely high (my entire team quit around the time I did), and management...

Advice to Management

Decent salaries and better managers would go a long way toward making LLS a desirable workplace.

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society2016-06-09

"Great mission and opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Campaign Manager

I have been working at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Mission is always first and foremost. Working at LLS affords you the opportunity to see impact from your fundraising and meet those that you are influencing. You will instantly get great volunteer leadership experience and new thoughts, program ideas are highly encouraged. It is very campaign driven and focused. Relationships are built through event fundraising in many forms.

Cons

The salary below director level is not significantly competitive with similar non-profits. With event based fundraising, focus is less on larger gifts and more on longer hours in campaign driven relationship fundraising.

Advice to Management

Increase compensation at the chapter level based on revenue generation to match expectations.

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society2015-10-07
  8. "Not a bad place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society for more than a year

Pros

Great mission, great staff team, fun events, decent work-life balance, overall I enjoy being a part of the organization.

Cons

National management seems in disarray, and are missing a clear plan of action to staff.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent from the home office to the chapters about where you are in terms of transitioning programs. Also allow for more participation on national calls, particularly in campaign specific calls. Allow for more interactive conversations and peer-to-peer sharing of wins vs just giving speeches.

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society2015-07-13

"Senior Campaign Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Campaign Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

The mission and the people. You will find some of the most amazing reasons (ie. patients, dedicated co-workers) to work here.

Cons

There have recently been many changes and cuts to the organization that is making it difficult to complete tasks with confidence. There is a lot of pressure placed on staff to work with limited resources.

Advice to Management

Visit the field often. As the campaign directors and managers what they need. It's not always feasible to get what they need at that time, but it may be possible to sketch out a plan to help staff see that it may be a possibility later on.

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society2015-06-23
    • "Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in White Plains, NY

I worked at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society

Pros

Good work life balance and telecommuting policies. Collegial team.

Cons

was there during a time of significant transition, but understand it has stabilized.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your staff

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society2015-01-10