Level 3 Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Level 3 Communications President & CEO Jeff Storey
Jeff Storey

Pros
  • Great work/life balance, lucky to have a good management team (in 48 reviews)

• Matching 401k and good benefits (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is questionable (in 45 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't understand what the front line employees do and creates a cya environment (in 34 reviews)

"Senior Account Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Level 3 Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits package, that's the only positive things that this company has to offer. Be sure to ask any and every question and get everything in writing (which I did but still made zero difference in the outcome)

Cons

Senior management unwilling to adapt to consolidation of markets and multiple acquisitions of varying business types. The acquisition of TW Telecom showed the arrogance of Level 3 and how they feel about their customers. Level 3 was global, TW was great as a local mid-market size solution provider. Following the TWT acquisition L3 made all TW markets operate and manage processes for customers as if they were L3 customers all along, more importantly they did not level set the compensation and more than tripled quotas overnight without any increase in pay, the commissions were worse than TW and salaries at TW were lower so anyone with TW pre acquisition had their quota tripled and earnings decreased.

This mentality, even though it was discussed thoroughly with management internally, management viewed it as unhappy employees, luckily multiple large customer decision makers confronted L3 about it, but still nothing was changed and that caused customers to leave faster.

This is the most important part about L3... just for reaching out to HR, this will in all cases, expedite Senior management to arrogantly fire any employee that communicated in any kind with anyone associated with HR. L3 preaches an open door policy, with the understanding by employees it is not by any means open and every level of management talks crap about every person under them because they feel they can.

This arrogance and ignorance caused an entire office, that was thriving as TWT prior to the acquisition to close down; hundred of dedicated employees let go all due to management not addressing a single problem and unwilling to even have a conversation with a single person in the entire office for 4+ months at a time, assuming anything taken to HR was false, even after HR fully validated and verified the claim and senior management reviewed it with the employees they did not accept any responsibility and against the recommendation from HR proceeded to let go employees who never once had a negative write up, etc., while being discriminated against.

Many managers are beyond condescending and do not allow the engineers and architects to do their job, causing millions of dollars in customer revenue to churn, while creating "false churn" without customer involvement and even customers not willing to make the change forced upon them, all to create fake sales numbers.

Lack of integrity from every level of management, everyone not at management level are the ones facing the customer every day, having to cover for inept managers to not follow through and not put the customer first; management is willing to sacrifice any employee below them rather than to take any ownership for their mistakes and all customers are able to clearly see exactly what is happening and some customers have been so disrespected that they were willing to pay extensive ETFs because of the blatant disrespect for the customer, equating to millions of dollars in lost revenue with no chance of getting it back.

Advice to Management

Communicate openly and honestly with your employees, we deserve to hear from senior management more than 1 time a year and deserve to know the vision and the future of the company after multiple acquisitions for reps to be able to set proper expectations with the customer.

Be willing to admit it both internally and externally when you make a mistake, we all do it, don't deny it or blame everyone else when you caused the problem and throw anyone around you under the bus to try to put the blame elsewhere.

Listen to your reps, they are in front of the customers everyday. Management especially in this industry are so far removed and out of touch from the day to day actions required for what it takes to sell; overcome today's busienss challenges (not what they were 25 years ago) how to cultivate and develop meaningful business relationships in today's landscape.

When you hire a new employee who leaves a job that they are wildly successful to work for you to do a job, let them do their job; if you aren't going to allow them to do it then why hire them and ruin their career. More importantly, especially when you proactively recruit a new hire, be honest with what the position entails and what the expectations are. It is inexcusable to promise everything to get a new hire on board and once they start, the key items that a new hire specifically accepted the job for and caused them to leave a successful position, you cannot completely change the responsibilities of their new job and blame the new hire for misrepresenting the job.

When you have senior level sales professionals, they clearly know what to do and how to be successful, otherwise they would not be at that level in their career.
    Sales management that has not sold and does not sell anything within this industry since email has become a popular form of communication, that person has zero busienss managing anyone because it causes the reps to have to manage their manager and their job and in this case caused multiple reps to lose six figure paying jobs without any reason and immediately following actively communicating with HR. Morally and ethically this company could care less about anyone under a management role.

When HR tells senior management that management is in the wrong and the employee has zero grounds for termination, that an employee with not a single prior notice, email, write up, disciplinary action or anything be let go which at that point management finally took the time to speak to everyone in the office who confirmed everything reported, everyone was forced out. This company needs to be investigated thoroughly by the EEOC and any other institutions capable of doing so!

Apr 4, 2017 – Senior Vice President of Global Talent Management

Your candid feedback is important to us. Thank you for sharing your past experience with Level 3 and we will use this information as we move forward to strengthen our customer and employee experience.

"Referred to as Layoff company in Denver"

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Level 3 Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

East commute, flexible work from home, good benefits.

Cons

Layoffs and rehiring. Workplace bullying, there is a group of engineers who use excessive methods of verbal abuse and racism to get their way. There are many foreigners in the company from other countries who work really hard. I feel sorry for the way they are constantly degraded with derogatory name calling passing them of as jokes in meetings, Feels like the workplace culture is a true depiction of slavery and apartheid. Heavy workload with cost cutting measures and layoffs.

Advice to Management

Management though being made aware several times of the extreme racism prevalent in the workplace , does not take actions since it has not been reported by the non-white employees. The non-white employees for fear of not getting wages do not report the mistreatment. Management needs to give the company guidelines a re-read again and ensure those HR policies are maintained.

Mar 17, 2017 – Senior Vice President of Global Talent Management

Thank you for sharing your concerns. Level 3 takes them seriously and we provide various channels for employees to bring issues like these to our attention, including the Level 3 Compliance Line at ... More

"Not recommended please take seriously....current employee"

Current Employee - Account Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Level 3 Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Honestly and I speak genuinely I have none okay maybe one; I am looking actively to get out its so bad here the only thing I can think of is that the few people in the office that are nice to work with and that is it

Cons

Awful management, micromanagers, especially sales managers, GM who is new, fear-based, bullying types, will get rid of you in a heart-beat seen it with my own eyes; I'm in fear I may even loose my job at any second. They have junior reps with amazing accounts and favorite reps with great accounts while others suffers. Its not a balanced at all favoritism is evident. I have seen a teammate in tears, then eventually fired for no good reason and was set up to fail. I have seen illicit business dealings where they pressure even customers to sign offers. Its all about tactical selling they do not care about the employee whatsoever I hope they get fined or caught by someone for the way their treat their sales people. Their so called "star sales" people are the ones that milk the same cow over and over - never bringing in new business; not very practical or smart and eventually the new owners of Century Link will catch on. The delivery of service is embarrassing and customers are unhappy and frustrated and no one cares. Yet the Account Director has to deal with it regardless. I can't wait to leave and find another job!

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and deal with the reality of the situation of what is happening in organization. Are you that blind or are you that okay with what is really happening. While your HR is there to protect you who is there to protect your employees from their bullying managers? Treat your employee with respect there is something seriously wrong with the NYC offices - dig in and investigate no one is happy there and everyone is afraid to really speak up for a reason.

"No work life balance / major politics"

Former Employee - Director in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Director in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Level 3 Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers , never bored. Good benefits and nice campus. company has top assets for the industry. Once installed the product generally works great.

Cons

Worked many days, nights, and weekends but never. felt successful and was not rewarded consistently for positive performance. If you haven't worked there for many years very tough to feel included. Not a people centric environment. Fear based leadership and Leadership has too big of egos to even acknowledge or link in with lower level employees: too many org changes and no stability. Corporate greed. C-level take millions and don't even give their employees 100% bonus or merit increase.

Advice to Management

Evolve to a people centric culture. Listen and value the employees that work for you. Reward for positive results and clean out some of the leaders that have been there too long and do not want the change that is needed to be successful. Stop being so selfish and greedy.

"Would give 0 stars if an option company doesnt care about its employees"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Boise, ID

Pros

None, especially if you are a woman, this is a good ole boys club in many offices. Very clickish like high school, and rich get richer mentality because of favorites that are picked, better opportunities are given without regards to that persons real talents or abilities. While others that work hard, have impressive resumes are overlooked because they are either female or not in the click. Not sure how this company got awards for being a good place to work. A previous employee warned me to not work here, being but in Idaho, options for telecom are limited.

Cons

Too many to mention here. But to name a few, as someone else said in a review of this company, bullying goes on big time. And nothing is EVER good enough. You will hear negatives before any positive, unless of course you are in the right click. Management talks over you as if what you have to say is insignificant. This place is very emotionally unhealthy and toxic. There is a reason why there is so much turn over. Someones kid gets seriously ill or injured and their management tells them this is not the type of job where you can just leave to go take care of that, wth??? Many people have quit because of it, but no one in management cares. They dont care about their people.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. There is a reason there is so much turn over. The mentality is that when someone leaves, they were a traitor. But when someone leaves they have had enough of the toxic environment. This place treats people as if this was the early 1900s before labor laws. 0 stars for Jeff Storey too, nice guy, but ready for retirement so he is far removed from what is really going on. In fact, most management has no clue and far removed from reality.

Jan 31, 2017 – Senior Vice President of Global Talent Management

"Do better"

Former Employee - IP Tech II in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - IP Tech II in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Level 3 Communications (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pto is awesome if they actually let you use it and not say it's excessive.

Cons

It's chaos, one day you focus on this the next it's completely opposite. Manger knew nothing of the job function. I don't do well being cursed at...little unprofessional??? ₩

Advice to Management

Pay attention..I was there for 10 yrs in 3 different departments 8 different managers stellar reviews. I was let go for absenteeism yet I had 5 days pto, my Manger had cursed me out prior and made remarks that she was going to fire me to other employees. Her opportunity presented itself as my wife was in an auto accident in a coma and my father had a stroke...although I have phone records and text (her preferred method) I was let go for not calling in.

8. "Unprofessional HR department"

Former Contractor - Staffing Associate/Recruiting Scheduler in Broomfield, CO
    Former Contractor - Staffing Associate/Recruiting Scheduler in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Level 3 Communications as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Work was too easy and I was paid well.

Cons

My manager was very unprofessional. Speaking in baby voices, wasn't clear about what she wanted. Swayed back and forth on her goals for her team. Only hired women, wouldn't even consider a man when a position opened because she wanted to continue her giggle circle. She talked about recruiters behind their backs and created rifts between HR recruiting and their staffing associates. Most unpleasant environment I have ever worked in.

Advice to Management

Grow up and treat your staff like adults.

"About to leave"

Current Employee - Field Tech II in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Field Tech II in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

You can make a fortune working as a field technician here. If you like overtime, you will be in heaven. I have been here a little over a year and have not had less than 60 hours a week (forced) overtime. Some days never end, ie. spill into the next day. I have even had 100+ hour weeks.

Cons

If you like your wife and kids, bad news. If you want test sets and tools less than 10 years old, too bad. If I could give less than 1 star I would. This place chews us up and spits us out.

Advice to Management

Work-Life Balance means for every employee! Hire more people.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Level 3 Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Crickets......can't think of a damn thing. Maybe international access, but even that is not a pro--they can't even get that right

Cons

Dishonest leaders who 'get to the number' in creative ways that I'm sure the shareholders wouldn't appreciate, terrible culture, service delivery is a nightmare, systems that don't talk to each other, 3 different networks not compatible.

'Besides that, how was the play Mrs Lincoln?'

Advice to Management

Punt!

"Terrible treatment of employees and customers"

Current Employee - Account Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Level 3 Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great salary and compensation plan for sales

Cons

No life balance for employees. Processes are not communicated well. Really, it depends on who you ask for most processes which change daily. Sales Directors are not empowered to help the customer solve an issue with their services. Most of the time, it is impossible to get a service installed. Customer ratings since tw telecom was acquired have been low. Customers are leaving due to poor service. Management contributes to the problem by not effectively communicating the processes, or advocating the Account Directors that are buried in administrative duties. If you can't keep up with the administrative duties, employees across the board are put on performance plans, regardless of whether you are meeting your other performance objectives. Layoffs common.

Advice to Management

Good employees are leaving due to inability to help customers effectively. Customers are leaving due to poor customer services. Set new priorities, rather than looking for the next acquisition or being acquired. Recognize that good sales and service employees are trying to do their job despite conflicting communications on processes. Simplify install processes. Recognize that employees have families too, and cannot work 25/7.

Showing 180 of 1,075 reviews