Lever "startup growing" Reviews | Glassdoor

Lever Employee Reviews about "startup growing"

Updated Apr 25, 2019

4.5
Pros
Cons
  • "With any start-up there might be growing pains with creating a solid knowledge base(in 18 reviews)

• "Typical startup growing pains are present here, but not overwhelming(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "startup growing"

Return to all Reviews
  1. Featured Review

"Startup that's going places"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lever full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I joined Lever when we were still a Series A company and the entire company could fit around a few lunch tables. I'm grateful for the way Lever has grown and changed, but stuck to its values. Now that we're north of 200 employees, I appreciate the way leadership continues to be transparent, places a lot of trust in employees, and encourages us to act like owners. That, and I really like my coworkers. People here... work hard, believe in our mission, and are here to get things done. Additionally: - Great office space - Free, good food - We celebrate in a variety of ways (introverts and extroverts alike can take part) - Town hall with leadership in all-hands meetings often - An actual compensation philosophy + performance / compensation reviews - Commuter perks - Leadership invests in management and provides resources to managers

Cons

Lever is not for everybody. People who don't do well with ambiguity, hard work, and being proactive with their work will generally struggle here. We do have turnover like any company, which can be frustrating, but it comes with the territory of being a growing startup. We do have some team members that get lost in the minutia and don't focus on serving the business. I've seen this at every company, so I... don't think Lever is doing anything wrong, but more acknowledging there's a pocket of that mindset here.

Advice to Management

Continue to align with one another and communicate across your team. I've noticed sometimes the left hand isn't aware of what the right hand is doing. Neither hand is wrong, per se, but keeping each other informed helps ICs understand the impact of their work. Your jobs are hard; thanks for all you do. :)

Lever2019-02-04

"Lever is rated one of the best places to work for good reason!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lever full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been at Lever for a year and a half and thank my lucky stars every day that I get to work there. Below are some of the reasons: -the culture. people at Lever take upholding our values and our people seriously -the people - high hiring bar and genuinely nice, caring people that want to do right by their teammates, by Lever, and by our customers -leadership - they care deeply, value feedback, and set the tone... for the company from the top down in the best way possible -best-in-class product and amazing product-market fit - it's fun selling a product that is #1 in the space and our customers LOVE -the opportunity to solve an important problem (HIRING) and be part of a company that is a thought leader on how to tackle this challenge effectively

Cons

-typical startup growing pains...but what has stood out to me is how leadership has been extremely receptive to feedback, honest about where Lever can improve, and willing to course-correct when needed. Building a great company, especially one growing as quickly as Lever, isn't easy - but IMO, Lever sets the standard for how to scale effectively without compromising culture or employee happiness.

Advice to Management

Keep the hiring bar high as you scale so Lever can maintain its amazing culture, which all starts with its people. And along that vein, continue investing in your employees.

Lever2019-04-26

"Love going to work! A company that truly invests in your growth"

I have been working at Lever full-time

Pros

We have a sweet new office! Lever definitely takes employee satisfaction/employee matters very seriously. They take care of us and want to make sure we are comfortable and feeling our best so we can do our best work. I also feel like Lever is the first company that has truly supported my growth and provided guidance to help me figure out where I want to take my career. I also am pushed out of my comfort zone and... given the opportunities to work on things that are new to me and things that specifically excite me.

Cons

I can't think of any real concerns. But as always, Lever is a growing startup and there will always be growing pains. We are really at the point in our company journey where we are no longer a small company and are putting processes in place to help us scale. This can always be challenging but not necessarily a con.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your leaders! Lever already does this and I hope they continue to. Giving managers training on how to best support their employees is one of the best ways to give back to your employee and in return amplify your workfoce

Lever2018-08-10
  4. "Career and Personal Growth Focus - Feeling very lucky to work here!"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lever full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been at Lever for 1.5 years and feel extremely fortunate to work here. I've seen my career and skill set grow dramatically in such a short time because Lever takes the time to invest in their people. Lever doesn't just talk the talk when it comes to employee development, career paths and diversity inclusion - there's a lot of action to back those initiatives. I also notice that the types of people the... company attract are a unique combination of extremely ambitious, humble and team oriented. I consistently feel challenged because the work my peers are contributing sets a high bar but I also feel like everyone is rooting me on vs competing to be better than each other. I find myself excited to go back to work on Mondays (my friends laugh at me for saying this!) because my team is so fun/kind/smart and the work feels really rewarding. Also from a sales perspective - this product is a dream to sell. It works as you're told it will and is a dramatic improvement to the technologies our prospects are used to seeing. There's still tough competition out there so you're earning every deal you close but it always feels like we are fighting the good fight

Cons

Your normal startup growing pains - you need to be your own advocate especially as you ramp-up because the process is not standardized and we have so many people coming in at different stages in their career. Determine what your gaps are and proactively ask for help/resources. The neighborhood is a bit dicey. I've never had a problem in the last year and a half but 6th and Market but you need to be extra aware of... your surroundings, especially at night. I don't think this is a permanent problem as we're quickly outgrowing out office but it's something you should be aware of.

Advice to Management

Less advice more a thank you for being conscious of the employee experience, asking for feedback and always taking action on that feedback. It's so refreshing!

Lever2017-11-22

"Two thumbs up"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lever full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lever was a great choice for me. I'm really glad that I landed here. The product is really awesome, second only to the people here. The SDR grind is tough anywhere, but my peers make it enjoyable to come into work every day.

Cons

Typical startup growing pains are present here, but not overwhelming. When I first started they were more apparent. Over the past few months, the Sales team has developed a lot more structure and is continuing to move in a very positive direction. People work really hard here, and for some people, that isn't for them.

Advice to Management

Continue with the transparency and open dialogue when it comes to opportunities for career shifts within the company. There wasn't quite enough management when I first started, but that has since changed.

Lever2017-10-10

"Fast growing company with lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lever full-time for less than a year

Pros

I joined Lever 6 months ago. The company produces a great product with lots of customer love. The high growth rate and fast-paced environment provides opportunities to grow and pursue areas of interest. The culture is both diverse and inclusive.

Cons

A fast-growing startup at this stage requires each team member to shoulder responsibility for the success of the organization. Each team member faces some uncertainty and ambiguity in daily activities. While this environment is typical of startups, this level of responsibility is not for everyone, and some may prefer the structure of a larger, more established organization.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency in goal setting, and continue to offer the personal growth and career development workshops.

Lever2015-08-30