Leverage Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Bob Kehoe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A collaborative environment for driving success"

Current Employee - PPC Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Leverage Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been at Leverage for nearly a year, and it's basically a collection of people dedicated to the success of the company, and the success of its clients. While everyone puts in full-time hours, the company is very flexible with scheduling, allowing work from home or other remote locations, as well as working alternative schedules, when necessary. Everyone brings important skills to the table, and everyone is willing to work together for success. I feel comfortable going to any colleague for advice or to collaborate on solutions for clients.

Cons

You have to be able to thrive in ambiguity. Sometimes you have to be willing to scrap everything you've done and approach things from an entirely new perspective. Not for people who don't have a passion to continually learn and grow. Temporarily without a physical office (should be resolved in the coming months).

Advice to Management

As the company continues to grow, make sure to find ways to prioritize a collaborative atmosphere and avoid (or at least limit) compartmentalization.

"No benefits, no vacation, no future here"

Current Employee - PPC Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Leverage Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun peers to work with

Cons

Lack of leadership, lack of any morale boosting efforts via benefits of any kind... no vacation days, no paid sick days, no retirement... you name it Leverage does NOT have it. This is a starter job type of place not a place any savvy professional would actually stay at (this is based on previous management not sure how it is now)

Leverage Marketing Response

Jan 6, 2016 – COO

This is a review that a past employee left more than two years ago. Unfortunately, Glassdoor displays the date the review was updated rather than the original date. While we've always had good... More

"A challenging yet empowering work experience"

Former Employee - Senior SEM Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior SEM Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Leverage Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees are fun and down to earth, which causes the atmosphere to be not only productive but engaging. Management encourages a lot of discussion and openness, so you feel that you are on equal terms with your superiors in many ways.

Cons

When my sales manager made a mistake on a contract that directly affected my pay, I brought this to his attention and to our company head. The company, however, refused to compensate me at the appropriate level, and 5 - 6 months later I was let go.

Advice to Management

How you respond to employee complaints directly affects the morale of your workforce. Considering the difficulty of service-based phone sales, it is important that your sales team is constantly encouraged and reminded that their efforts will bear all the fruit promised to them.

"Do great work and you’ll be rewarded"

I have been working at Leverage Marketing full-time

Pros

The emphasis is almost entirely on doing good work and building lasting relationships with clients and each other rather than on strict structure. That means that as long as you’re getting your work done, your schedule is flexible. Having the freedom to stay at home when you’re sick or to run an errand during the day or to go into the office late to avoid traffic is wonderful. And the organization of the company is extremely flat. Someone else said it before but there aren’t many places where you can tell your boss that you think they’re wrong or that you have a better idea than theirs and actually be rewarded for it. The healthcare benefits are solid – mostly covered by the company and I haven’t found a better package at any previous jobs. In fact, it just got upgraded and is even better than before with lower deductibles and lower copays. And if you’ve ever worked at an agency before (or ever hired an agency before), you’ll appreciate this: there has been exactly ZERO turnover since new ownership. That is directly related to having a great team and a great environment.

Cons

If you’re not self-motivated, you probably won’t last long here. There isn’t really someone there who plays the role of a cheerleader. You will have to be the type that wants to learn and bring in your own ideas. Awesome for the go-getter.

Advice to Management

Stick with the emphasis on good work and continue to be very choosey in who you hire. I love working with everyone at Leverage today. That wasn’t the case a year and a half ago. Thank you for getting rid of the bad seeds from previous management.

"New management provides for a great working environment --- really enjoy working with the people there"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Leverage Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I’ve been with the company for a long while now and it has gone through major changes from when I started. One of the best things since new management has taken over is that you’re at a company where you can make a major contribution(s) in building a greater company --- that is if you want to. Regarding previous reviews, I believe that the saying “Blame is not for failure, it is for failing to help or ask for help” holds true. You’re in an environment where the minimum effort isn’t going to work. The philosophy is very much “Show me, don’t tell me” --- which allows for the employees the freedom to explore any and all additional tools, services, and ideas they would want to execute. This is one place where you can be completely honest and you won’t get fired for it. Sounds strange, but nowhere else have I encountered a work place where the boss isn’t on some power trip; here the leaders don’t hold grudges and appreciate your honestly. The team at Leverage now is incredibly hard-working and smart. I can count on my peers if I need help and feel confident that they would do a job well done.

We have both health and dental insurance. They are very accommodating if you need to take days offs or if you need to take a few hours off. In my personal experience, I was able to take a few days off at a drop of the hat because a family emergency had come up. No questions asked, it was “Go be with your family.”

Cons

There are days where you’re going to have to do tasks that aren’t part of your “job description.” Everyone here does.

"Great Place to Work - Caring People in a Non-Corporate Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Leverage Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I haven't been with Leverage for long, but from what I understand they have undergone a change in image and management over the past year. I've enjoyed my there here so far, and haven't experienced the negative things that people mentioned here. We have Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance and dental coverage. Upper management has been more than accommodating whenever I've needed to take time off for family or holidays. We're also able to work flextime if we need to. There's a great work-life balance. Times can always be tough when a company changes hands, but the team that's with Leverage now is hardworking, determined, and talented as well as laid-back. The company is steadily growing and set to move into a new, larger office in a couple of months. The flextime, inclusion in company affairs, and caring management make Leverage a great work experience.

Cons

For some this might be a con, but for me it keeps the job interesting - You may take on a variety of tasks at Leverage. If you don't like working and you enjoy the stale cubicle world, this may not be the place for you.

7. "No vacation days, no health insurance, poorly managed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Leverage Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Located in Austin, this place should have a relaxed unique environment just like the city, but it doesn't. The only pro I could say is that Leverage is good place for people with no experience to get their first job.

Cons

At the time I left Leverage was not providing ANY vacation days, sick days, or the like. No health insurance and overall a stale work environment. The company is plagued by "President" after "President" trying to turn the place around. I knew upper experienced managers who hadn't had a day off in three years while the drove greater profits for the entire company. SHAME ON LEVERAGE.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your talented managers, salespeople, and account people. Give them the Job Benefits they need and deserve like Paid Vacation/ Sick days, Health Benefits, and a 401K matching contribution program or you will continue to be a high turnover workplace with little future of growth and innovation.

8. "The old saying rings true. "The son of the shoemaker has no shoes.""

Former Employee - PPC Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Leverage Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clients we worked with didn't have a clue about online marketing so we weren't held accountable for achieving a negative return on their investment.

Cons

We were promised bonuses and pay raises and leverage failed to deliver every time. The leadership is light years behind becoming a successful online advertising company. As a result, they don't spend any of their own dollars on advertising. Subcontractors never got paid for months at a time. New hires inevitably learned on the client's dime with no formal training provided by leadership. How could they? They weren't competent in the field themselves. The company shrunk massively in the last several months when Matt Hooks became CEO. He was an unsuccessful SEO specialist (got fired) at his previous job with Apogee Search and figured it easier to buy his way into leadership this time around. Don't let them fool you with their marketing technobabble. They are incompetent online marketers and I highly advise you steer clear before they run your company and it's marketing budget straight into the ground!

Advice to Management

Start your own business, acquire some business know-how, develop yourself as proven and successful online marketers, and then at that point, "Maybe" you can tell clients how to spend their money.

"A Struggling PPC Agency"

I worked at Leverage Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to get hired on, real account experience and quick promotion due to employee turnover. Job security through attrition.

Cons

You will work with too many low spend clients and deal with a lack of expertise by management & sales to bring in the big clients. even if you do get a big client you will likely lose them as this agency can not live up to the expectations they set.

Poor upper management, Lack of quality clients and overwhelming work loads and no bonuses.
    High employee turn around. How high? Try 4 PPC directors in 1 year and all internal hires because not one would take the position as a new hire.

Advice to Management

If you do anything fire the GM and bring in a real specialist who turns around troubled companies, Rethink your business model and stop taking clients who cost the company more than they bring in revenue.

"Ok for recent college graduates and any one looking for a transitional job"

Current Employee - Minnion in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Minnion in Austin, TX

Pros

If you can't get a job any where else and need something to pay the bills (not many bills just some bills) this is a good choice.
    They hire people quick and don't do background checks or check references.
    Some of the people are fun to talk to and have businesses on the side

Cons

Leverage Marketing is not a place where smart people stay for any length of time.
    You will often wonder if you are the smartest person that works there.
    If you get annoyed by people who don't do anything, but still get paid you shouldn't join the sales department. They never sell anything, but continue to have jobs.
    People quit here all of the time in search of better paying jobs with more established companies.
    The management team seems oblivious to the fact that no one actually understands PPC or SEO as well as a company should that gets paid to perform services for customers.

Advice to Management

What is your plan for growing the business? Some companies that two years old have been sold for 10 million dollars.
    Inspire your employees and try to get good, smart employees not just desperate ones.