Levi Strauss Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Levi Strauss President and CEO Chip Bergh
Chip Bergh

Pros
Cons
  • They say they encourage work/life balance (in 24 reviews)

• The current IT upper management run by a CFO whose only interested in bottom line IT services (in 32 reviews)

1. "Quality Employer"

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Levi Strauss full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

LS&Co. strives to have a progressive and balanced office space at their headquarters.

Cons

The IT Dept is a mess.

Advice to Management

Fix tech support

2. "XX Captain"

I worked at Levi Strauss full-time

Pros

Great culture, fun environment, great playlist

Cons

Poor management, lengthy and over-complicated process for bringing up problems in the work place

Advice to Management

Work with corporate to enact more realistic goals, ease communication between all levels of staff hierarchy.

3. "Circular motion"

Former Employee - IT Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Levi Strauss full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good culture, interesting product that more or less sells itself.

Cons

I worked for LS&CO for 7 years in which time I had 13 different managers. We changed strategy at least once per year and shuffled the organizational structure each time to align to the new strategy. People were promoted or fired with seemingly no particular thought behind the moves. The product line is extremely mature and the company seems to have exhausted all possible lines to revenue growth.

Advice to Management

Define a cohesive strategy and stick with it.

4. ""All Rounder Role""

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Levi Strauss full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A Heritage Brand
    Quality Product
    Employee Discount

Cons

Global out-sourced business model
    The values that emanate from the top fail to trickle down to the regional offices

Advice to Management

Consider revising the business model in the ASEA region.
    Revise HR managers in this region

"Great company, all considered"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Levi Strauss full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

like many companies, a lot depends on your boss and your group. at Levis it also depends on the brand you work for, and the department you're in. being a denim based company, Levis and Signature/Denizen are the best brands to work for...Dockers not so much. Management clearly favors denim over khaki. Overall, salaries are very good, and health/dental/vision are very good (the market has dictated changes in plan coverage in the last few years and that will continue going forward.) take advantage of the Bay Club membership if you work at the SF corporate office. The annual Community Day is great, and the company allow each employee a certain $ amount per year to match your charitable donations. i loved that my yearly donations were doubled by this benefit. I was also very fortunate to travel and see many locations on behalf of LS&Co. I will forever be grateful for those experiences. they have shaped me and my appreciation of the world.

Cons

Apparel as a category/industry is seriously struggling and Levi Strauss is not immune. another reviewer described working there as "soul crushing" and I have to agree. I think much of that comes from the fact that most of the businesses are operating on a wholesale model, and therefor much of the brand(s) energy gets sapped by the sad, ailing retailers the company is tied to. it takes at least a year to change strategic direction and see the results of those moves. turning the ship is tough. it was always a bummer when a brand busted their backs, did everything right, and maybe a retailer changed their strategy or their biz tanked....well so did your yearly bonus. c'est la vie! in those times I focused on what I wrote in the Pros column.

Advice to Management

honestly I don't know. we'll see how the company fares in the next 3-5 yrs during this apparel/retail shakeout. I always thought Chip/CEO was doing mostly the right things.

6. "Terrible Company to work for. Constantly ReOrging"

Former Employee - Merchant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Merchant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Levi Strauss full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fashion is fun and there are some fun events.

Cons

They treat people like dirt. Work them long hours with no compensation and they could care less if you work there or not. They are constantly going through a company reorg (since 1999 with the same company actually). I saw 3 reorgs in less than two years and had 11 different bosses because of it. VP's in the merchandising department abuse their corporate card like no other. Shadiest stuff I have ever seen. They don't give you any feedback and then your yearly review comes around they say you haven't "met your goals". When you ask what those goals are and when they were every communicated to you they have no answer. Each VP gets a pool of money to farm our to their whole team for raises and they just pick their favorites and screw everyone else over. It has nothing to do with performance, only who is your friend. So much sexual harrasment going on at this place,... and sex. There is a public case about it you can look up online. DO NOT WORK HERE. They are a "lifestyle brand" that is FAILING. Their market share has been dropping and fast. They cannot keep up with fast fashion. They have shady sourcing and marketing practices. They lie to their consumers.

Advice to Management

Treat people with a little respect. When you grandma dies at work and you get a call about it mid day and you shed a few tears,.. don't go up to them and say "wholly hell, what are you crying about?". I even stayed and worked the entire rest of the day. One of your employees literally had a seizure in the bathroom from stress and there was little empathy. Upper management cares about one thing,.. $$$ for themselves.

7. "eh"

I have been working at Levi Strauss part-time

Pros

good coworkers, discount on jeans

Cons

very abusive to workers just overall not good

8. "Overall it was great."

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Stylist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Stylist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Levi Strauss part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discounts, the brand, and my coworkers were all amazing. I also love how they pushed me into selling. I became more confident.

Cons

Although there were many great things about Levi's, one thing that really irked me was the amount of stress they put on everyone for not making their daily goal, which I can see why. But it just felt like they had lost all care for the consumers' needs.

9. "I love working at Levi Strauss, coworkers are open minded and laid back, but not without saying serious and dedicated!"

Current Employee - Stylist in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Stylist in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Levi Strauss part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

401k plan for sales associates
    Lax Environment
    Fairly good discount
    Free item at the end of month if made to plan

Cons

I don't really have any complaints except that perhaps more work hours

Advice to Management

Doing great, keep it up!

10. "Simple Sense"

Current Employee - Recovery Specialist in Downey, CA
    Current Employee - Recovery Specialist in Downey, CA

I have been working at Levi Strauss part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Flexible and a good return if part time. Great experience too!
    - Get to meet mew people and hopefully provide them with satisfactory service

Cons

- Requires patience and knowledge of customer service along with retail sales expirience
    - Demanding job that requires you to be active and productive

Advice to Management

Definitely need to improve on increasing motivation in the workplace so that employees can show more efforts in organizing the sales floor.