Levi Strauss Reviews | Glassdoor

Levi Strauss Reviews

Updated February 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Levi puts a huge importance on work-life balance (in 40 reviews)

• Energetic work environment, hired on originally as a seasonal pt sales but got offered a permanent job upon completion of the holidays (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • They say they encourage work/life balance (in 24 reviews)

• The current IT upper management run by a CFO whose only interested in bottom line IT services (in 30 reviews)

1. "Great Culture but High Turnover Rate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Clinton, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Clinton, CT

I worked at Levi Strauss part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Monthly free items give employees an incentive to work actively
    *Friendly working environment

Cons

*Brief lunch/dinner breaks
    *Favorite managers left because of limited upward mobility

Advice to Management

Sales teams work well when there is a sense of community and familiarity with coworkers and managers. High turnover rates stunt or disrupt this sense of community.

"Sales"

I worked at Levi Strauss full-time

Pros

Great Brand and a great group of hard working people.

Cons

slow at reacting to results. Too many ineffective meetings

Advice to Management

Hold yourself accountable 1st.

3. "Admirable focus on social responsibility"

Current Employee - IT Senior Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - IT Senior Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Levi Strauss full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People still care about one another and the community. Every May, we take one day off and spend it on community service.

Cons

Lots of dinosaurs who work here.

5. "Great company, iconic brand. Occassional inconsistent people management."

Current Employee - Finance
    Current Employee - Finance

I have been working at Levi Strauss full-time

Pros

Ground breaking leader in standing up for workers, human rights and the environment. Beloved brand.

Cons

A few self-promoters in corporate can at times undermine teamwork and company objectives.

Advice to Management

Direct managers should have more weight in people decisions than dotted line.

"Change is good except when it becomes overload"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Levi Strauss full-time

Pros

Overall great company culture, support of community and sustainability, and good co-workers

Cons

As with any company, a department's productivity, efficiency and employee engagement is a reflection of it's management. Low marks on a company engagement survey surprised the management team because they were only listening to their usual audience or not listening at all. To their credit they tried to raise the ratings by the usual methods of scheduling team-building events but like most companies they fail to see the real underlying reasons why employees are not engaged.

Advice to Management

I would give you advice but then I'd have to charge you for my services.
    There are a lot of smart, well-paid people there - listen to them.

"Levi Strauss & Co. experience"

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Levi Strauss full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people and office environment, beautiful location, good benefits including a regular annual bonus.

Cons

Constant restructuring - had to worry constantly about job security.

Advice to Management

Give people direction, feedback and a path to move to in the event of a reorg.

8. "Sr Account Executive"

Former Employee - Vice President International Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President International Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Levi Strauss full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Access to a wealth of knowledge that goes beyond retail and wholesale but running a business. You get what you put in and make of it what you want. There's complete transparency to the profitability of business and where dollars go and where your role in that lies. Health insurance benefits could not be better! They are AMAZING!!! Sometimes get free samples of jeans. Corporate campus is beautiful. Creativity and the intelligence of the people who work at LS&CO are of the highest standard. Employers seeing LS&CO on a resume should be quick to hire!

Cons

There is no training for entry level employees in corp office. Re-orgs are the norm. After a whole dept is wiped out from a re-org and you are doing the job that once took 3 people, another re-org will happen so you'll be doing the work of 4 people. Also, a year or two later the re-org that happens will be realizing all the people they let go from a dept, they now actually need, so they have employees from field offices uproot their families and lives to keep their jobs or let them go. They say they encourage work/life balance... passive aggressively you'll be shamed and punished for being sick or taking a vaca like it's an inconvenience. There is no accountability for any issues that arise and LOTS of finger pointing within depts, within teams, throughout the company... getting things done takes an act of God. Meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings.... gotta have another meeting to talk about that meeting we had over the meeting! Tons of redundant processes. Having internal conflict over doing what's best for LS&CO in regards to your account when you know your account is in the right and you have to be the bad guy. Other depts within the company not having realization or care to the fact of this burden they place on sales and again co doesn't hold any accountability....

Advice to Management

Your wholesale teams can give you the most feedback... they have more access and cross functional working relationships with all departments and with all accounts than any other dept within co. SALES KNOWS what your consumer WANTS and not who the brand wants the consumer to be. SALES KNOWS what processes of working are ineffective. SALES is very intelligent and they can come up with an effective and profitable way of doing business if you let them. Also, workload should not be measured by how many units are being shipped. It takes more time and energy to ship 5 units to 5 different accounts than it does shipping 10 units to 1 account. 5 accounts means 5 buyers you need to develop relationships, 5 accounts to analyze sales, 5 accounts to report on, 5 accounts to plan... How is this even a disconnect??

9. "Amazing company"

Pros

Will learn a lot regardless of your career level. Many people with decades of experience and willing to develop others

Cons

Not the highest paying company but still pretty good

10. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sunrise, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sunrise, FL

I worked at Levi Strauss part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Room for advancement - People that stay in the store for over a year are immediately looked at when there are sales lead or supervisor openings

Managers genuinely care about you - They're there to listen. They will find your strengths and find room for improvement. They want to bring out your potential

Cons

Hours - Depending on the season, there are either too many hours or too little hours. There is no in between

11. "Terible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Central Valley, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Central Valley, NY

I worked at Levi Strauss part-time

Pros

They give u a free pair of jeans and my co workers were nice

Cons

Levi is a horible to work the way they Train there employee suck . They try to cheat me out my money . I never work for them again . The mangers are rude and they were not honest with me when they let go .the backward company . They had to rehire me to fire me

Advice to Management

Learn what your doing