Levin Furniture Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Robert Levin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Impressive Company and Culture"

Former Employee - Humn Resources in Smithton, PA
    Former Employee - Humn Resources in Smithton, PA

I worked at Levin Furniture part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked a temporary, part-time project for the company in 2016 and was very impressed. I have also been a very satisfied customer for over 20 years. The company is highly employee and customer focused and the culture is very open and welcoming. They make a sincere effort to support the local communities in which they do business. Opinions and suggestions are encouraged, the leadership team is accessible and the training provided was thorough.

Cons

I did not experience any negative aspects of the company.

Advice to Management

The culture is outstanding. As the company continues to expand, continue to remain focused on your most valuable assets, your employees and your customers.

Mar 22, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to write about your positive experience! As Levin's continues to grow, we work hard to be a company that our team members are proud to work for.

2. "Supervision is lacking and forgetful."

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Levin Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back environment. Great benefits. Friendly coworkers.

Cons

Supervisors are not available most of the time when needed. No communication. Not accepting of employee ideas.

Advice to Management

The drivers are out there everyday and most for 10+ years. Yet none of their suggestions are taken seriously. Most drivers just stay silent during meetings because nothing ever changes. I have a list of issues that have been brought up at every meeting for the last 6 months and 1 of the 13 things has been addressed.

Sep 7, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for the 4-star review. We appreciate your time in providing your feedback. We are always open to hearing ideas and suggestions from our employees. Please reach out to us at 724-872-2050.

3. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Middleburg Heights, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Middleburg Heights, OH

I have been working at Levin Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They do a thorough job of vetting potential hires. I appreciate the time and effort this takes especially this day in age. The store appears to be very well equipped with anything you could think of to facilitate a good stable selling atmosphere. A lot of long time employees at this location with positive things to say about company. This is rather unusual; usually it is the opposite. Also, owner appears to be very well regarded.

Cons

I cannot come up with any cons.

Advice to Management

None - could not be nicer. Stable, professional atmosphere.

Aug 24, 2017 – Recruiter

Hello,
    Thank you for the 5 star review, and the positive comments. We're glad that you have been enjoying your time with us!

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in South Hills, PA
    Current Employee - Sales in South Hills, PA

I have been working at Levin Furniture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A large variety of furniture and many prices. Advertising is a lot and mostly the cheaper stuff.

Cons

Poor training for new employees. Do not seem to care. Mattresses seem most important in training they make us do. Bad customer service. Not good pay.

Advice to Management

Train and be fair.

Aug 29, 2017 – Recruiter

We appreciate your feedback, and are disappointed to hear that you did not have a good training experience.
    In our efforts to create a best in class training program for our new hires, we are... More

5. "Excellent Company"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Levin Furniture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A sales environment you can honestly thrive in.

Cons

The hours can be overbearing.

Aug 3, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time for the review, and for the five star rating!

6. "Great people, great culture"

I have been working at Levin Furniture full-time

Pros

Training with top performers, consultative sales culture.

Cons

Can be a long day.

7. "Furniture sales is not for everyone, but it sure does help you gain experience"

I worked at Levin Furniture full-time

Pros

This was my first full time job out of college and it was quite the learning experience. I worked in retail for all of my working years but I never had a position where I had to actually sell a product. I learned a lot about sales. Some from the training, some from the other sales professionals. I most enjoyed my time there because of my coworkers. They were all very inviting and I got along with many of them whom I plan to keep in touch with even after working there. The monthly reviews were both good and bad(see cons) because I got to sit down, look at all my numbers and learn on ways to improve on low points. You definitely have the ability to earn money here if you stick with it for a while. I enjoyed the family atmosphere that this job provided. Every Saturday we had a nice potluck lunch where everyone took turns bringing in food and cleaning the kitchen.

Cons

While you can make a good living, it is not easy to do right from the start. I am a young professional who is not from the area so it was harder to get friends to make the drive out when two other stores were closer. Being younger, most of my friends could not afford the furniture and were not comfortable opening up a Levin card. Some of my closest friends even went to Value City because the price was better.

The monthly reviews. It was nice to know every detail of my work but some minor details often received criticism. Management will look at every single thing you do. How many emails did you collect? How many thank you notes did you send? What is your average sale? Did you sell any pillows? Why did you not sell any pillows? I understand that it is important to go over smaller details of your work but some of them should not be stressed about as much as they are.

The probationary period can really hurt you. In your first six months with the company, you must hit your minimum. While the minimum is not unreasonable to hit, it can be difficult. I came in at a rough period. Days were slow and we had a total of 25-30 sales people staffed. I started in February with my 10 full days of training. In March, my training continued off sight. I finally hit the sales floor full time by the end of March. April was my first full month on the sales floor and it was great. I delivered my minimum and sold over what I was expected. My second full month was much harder. I was well under my minimum and I blame it mainly on a smaller amount of customers coming into the store as I did not change anything about my approach. Because I did not hit my minimum, I received my first of two written warnings. Once you hit two in your first 6 months you will be relieved of position. My third full month was immediately hurt because of a planned vacation. I was out for 5 days and was never able to make up that money with as slow as business was. Knowing that it was going to be nearly impossible for me to make up my losses, I decided it was in my best interest and also my coworkers for me to resign from my position. I did not want to take away from their sales just to make a last minute attempt to hit my mark.

The hours are tough. While it averages out to be a 40 hour work week, you will often spend a lot of you time there, especially on weekends. You will be scheduled off two days between Monday-Friday. You will work every Saturday and get every third Sunday off. Unfortunately, there will be times when you Sunday off falls on a day when every sales person needs to be there. It can be difficult to plan social events around the hours. I know not all of the stores run this way, but mine had us working either 9:30am-5pm or 9:30am-9pm on Saturdays. When the store was crowded, those hours were fine because you were constantly working and making money. On slow days, being there for 11 hours was awful.

There is a lot of wasted paper. From my first month working here, this bothered me. It felt like almost weekly we were asked to retag the entire store for a different sale. Retagging meant we would change the price tag for the appropriate sale by placing a new sheet over top of the already placed sale tag. After that sale ended, you would take of the written sale tag and throw them away. The prices were always different so you couldn't even save the sale tags.

Advice to Management

You have great products on the floor. Why are you not advertising them? I started really watching the advertising that was happening and realized how much we were only show the "deals." Forever, I have known Levin to be a quality furniture store. The ads were not doing the store justice. It showed with the clientele as well. Most customers I had, came in asking for the "deals" we were showing and then were upset that they were not of the highest quality. Also, we started advertising the incredible $198 mattress and box spring by using a picture that was not of the actual mattress. In the commercial, it looked great. In the store, it looked like a flimsy piece of fabric sewn around springs. You need to be honest with your customers.

Run less gimmick sales. Customers get easily confused by the amount of sales being run and always think the sales person is out to get them because of it. I had countless people ask about sales that were already done, complained that they weren't getting that sales price and then upset when I explained that our current sale would still be getting them around the same price. Being simple is okay.

Jun 29, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your experience and for the 4-star rating! We agree that Levin’s is a: Great place to make a great living; Provides an extensive, paid training... More

8. "Sales Position at Levin Mattress"

I have been working at Levin Furniture full-time

Pros

Good company culture, friendly staff, good learning

Cons

Don't know any cons at this point

Advice to Management

Trainings should be paid, otherwise, keep doing good job.

Jun 15, 2017 – Recruiter

Hello,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback.

9. "Sales assoc"

I have been working at Levin Furniture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

health insurance coverage good sales people

Cons

flooded floor to many sales people. No life balance work all holidays. Little respect for sales people not a unlimited income job many sales people just getting buy

Advice to Management

stop flooding the floor with sales people and update your furniture

Jul 12, 2017 – Recruiter

Hello,
    We thank you for taking the time to write a review. We make sure our stores are sufficiently staffed by using a standard calculation. This calculation makes sure we are in order to provide... More

"Current Manager with Levin"

I have been working at Levin Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are several important reasons to work at Levin's. I reviewed the company mission and vision statement when hired and can truly say that their goals are not just words. They really support and care about their employees. they are generous and reasonable when it comes to compensation, benefits and amenities. And they believe in taking care of good people. Because of this, many of the employees that I have met have been with Levin's for upwards of 15, 20 years. You can think of making a career here and not just having a job. I have referred more than one former colleague.

Cons

Obviously, it is a retail environment so all non-corporate employees have a challenging schedule with weekend and evening work; But there is a lot of flexibility with days off, so it balances out a bit.

May 22, 2017 – Recruiter

Hello,

Thank you for your review, and we appreciate your referrals! There are numerous associates that have a long tenure with Levin's, and have had successful careers. Sometimes, we like to say... More