Leviton Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Leviton President and CEO Donald J. Hendler
Donald J. Hendler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Very laid back work environment" (in 11 reviews)

• "Freedom to grow with good people" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay - Annual raises never break 3% and bonuses are not guaranteed" (in 11 reviews)

• "Sometimes it feels that upper management is better than everyone else, but that is no different than anywhere else" (in 9 reviews)

1. "Big Time Company with Small Company Feel"

Current Employee - Engineer in Melville, NY

I have been working at Leviton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Leviton is a private company so it may not be well known how big it is, but its a big company. You get all the pros of working for a large company, but there still is that small company feeling because it is family owned.
    The building in Melville is absolutely beautiful. It is a pleasure to come to work every day. Easy commute, easy parking, nice cafeteria, lot's to do in the area, great working hours.
    There are many different groups within Leviton so there is lot's of room to move around and change departments, and its not frowned upon when it happens.
    The management is very driven to grow the company. It feels very secure.

Cons

Project schedules and deadlines can be very aggressive, and sometimes unrealistic. There is a lot of pressure to perform...however, that makes me feel good about the long term growth potential of the company and also assures me I'll be working alongside the highest caliber of colleagues.

2. "Sales Organization"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Leviton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leviton has about the most stable and long lasting structure you could hope to join. As you evaluate your priorities if stability and security are high on your list then Leviton will be a fantastic company to work for.

Cons

While striving to adapt, there are some obstacles to anyone interested in seeing quick advances and/or opportunities to impact an organization quickly.

3. "Great company"

Former Employee - Engineer in Morganton, NC
    Former Employee - Engineer in Morganton, NC

I worked at Leviton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Freedom to grow with good people.

Cons

Salary and compensation needs improvement.

Advice to Management

Keep up the improvements your on the right track.

4. "ConTech Lighting, a Leviton Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Leviton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The building is nice. (I need to add at least 5 words, but that's all I have for pros)

Cons

There are too many to list.

Advice to Management

ConTech was acquired by Leviton and is a horrible place to work. The employees are very unhappy, yet "corporate" isn't willing to listen. Upper level management is completely out of touch and ConTech's HR essentially rules the company. Even though the main individual has no idea what they are doing, is rarely in the office, and is very rude to everyone. No one feels comfortable going to them, so HR is basically non-existent. Pay is all over the place. If you are younger and you are promoted from within, they will offer SIGNIFICANTLY less than if they were to make an outside hire (has happened to multiple people across different departments). They will not negotiate, and they will make you feel like you should be "grateful" to have been promoted at all. Turnover rate is at an all-time high, yet Leviton refuses to do anything about it. Sad, really. There are a lot of great people who go unrecognized who are planning to leave, if they haven't already.

"Lots of things need to change."

I have been working at Leviton full-time

Pros

Work/life balance is decent. Outside of work hours, you are generally not needed or bothered.

Cons

Too many "old timers" who are in positions just because they've been there for years. They contribute nothing useful to the company and hinder new employee performance.

Company does not like to plan for things. We get screwed because management doesn't listen to us and will not plan for issues. Then an issue happens and it is all hands on deck to rectify the problem--even new product development gets halted.

Good ideas from younger engineers are squashed by the "seasoned managers". Give us a chance, a lot of us have good ideas.

Technology is getting outdated. Testing Laboratory has equipment, but it's never the newest stuff and certain tests have to be hacked together.

Priorities shift by the hour. Today's hot issue will require 100% engagement, then tomorrow it's not even a blip on the radar.

Any non director/manager/VP level position seems to be underpaid. Bonuses are weak. Top performers in the group get 3%, actually it seems like almost everyone got 3%. Profit sharing is alright. No stock options since it is a private company. Compensation is weak. We feel undervalued.

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO EMPLOYEES. When we come to you with ideas, suggestions, feedback, etc., please listen. Don't scoff and write us off. It is disrespectful. We are people too, not just tools and resources; please treat us with respect.

Just because someone has been employed for 15+ years doesn't mean they are value added. Many "veterans" are sitting comfortably with large paychecks and they do almost no work.

Stop saying "there are too many employees". We work our you know what's off, day in and day out. we are running very lean. We need help. Turnover rate is insane here-everyone is either a company veteran (15+ years), or entry level. There is almost no in-between. The vets are overworked and thrown on every single project and have almost no time to teach the newbies.

Please understand that we HATE saying a project is delayed or a schedule is slipping. Schedules seem to be driven by Management/Leadership without input from Engineering. Now when engineering fails to meet the schedule given to them, don't flip out on them. We have been telling you that this is unrealistic; it should be a surprise. Especially when you shift priorities around on a daily basis.

PRIORITIES - define them and STICK WITH IT. The way priorities shift here is insane. From one disaster to the next, people are tossed around and no one truly knows which projects are the top priority. When you're on the big "L" project and get pulled off for silly issues, it totally interrupts workflow. Creation of NPD/PLE groups is not working as well as it should. Too much cross work.

Communication - fix this. too many people working on similar issues, too many people misinformed, too much confusion with suppliers/factories, etc. it is a nightmare.

A lot needs to change. Maybe your upper management group needs to be looked at. Things are not changing around here. People keep leaving. New hires last 2-3 years before they realize how messed up certain things are. People feel overworked and undervalued. This needs to change. Big things need to change.

6. "Production"

I have been working at Leviton full-time

Pros

The company has great benefits and preventative Wellness Program with choices of BCBS of North Carolina. Strong emphasis on safety.

Cons

none that I can think of

"Disappointing"

Former Employee - Engineer in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer in Melville, NY

I worked at Leviton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, decent benefits - health insurance is actually decent

Cons

Low pay - Annual raises never break 3% and bonuses are not guaranteed

Very difficult to get promoted - I had outstanding reviews every year yet every time I broached the topic of a promotion, I was always brushed aside. It felt as if the goal posts were constantly being moved, no matter what I did.

Risk aversion - For a company that supposedly wants to break into IoT, Leviton is doing great at dragging its feet when it comes to embracing new technologies and ideas. Management and senior engineers talk about wanting to bring in new blood, yet any time a new engineer is brought on board, their ideas are always disregarded. If Leviton wants new ideas and expertise in modern technology, then why are they so risk averse? Honestly, unless Leviton learns to take risk and really invest in quality R&D engineering (not temporary oversea contractors), they're not going to get anywhere in IoT.

Younger engineers' ideas often disregarded - I mentioned this already but I'll elaborate more. We've brought on very talented and ambitious engineers both fresh out of school and with some experience under their belts. I've seen excellent work and ideas completely dismantled and tossed aside by engineering management and senior engineering because "it's not how we've been doing things here". Again, risk aversion biting Leviton.

Rampant nepotism in management - Certain members of engineering management are very blatant in their favoritism with certain employees and people they hire. Both myself and others have gotten passed up for promotions time and time again because we weren't on the favorite list by these managers.

Advice to Management

It's not engineering that needs spring cleaning - it's management, specifically mid level management. Your engineering management - PMs, VPs, and directors - need some serious evaluation.

Start taking risk! Embrace new technology and ideas from younger engineers. They know more than you think. Just because you have 15+ years of engineering experience doesn't mean you know everything. Engineering is a field where you never stop learning.

Stop making excuses for late delivery of projects. Engineering is horrendously understaffed and contractors aren't helping. Stop being stingy and hire more full time high-quality engineers.

8. "Not too good"

I worked at Leviton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Building, location, commute, co-workers

Cons

Nothing really comes to mind

9. "Pl"

Current Employee - Insp in Morganton, NC
    Current Employee - Insp in Morganton, NC

I have been working at Leviton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No acct'ability . No concern with the empl. Well being

Cons

No well being of empl.

Advice to Management

Hire more in injection. Remove night shift pl. - Military issue.

10. "Great Experience"

I have been working at Leviton full-time

Pros

The employees, work environment, continuous innovation making the work interesting and ever-changing.

Cons

A bit behind the times and should integrate more.