Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Robert Lewis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent job that provides some good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Fine Attorneys and support staff (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover, pay is below-market, opportunities to work across multiple practice areas are very limited (in 6 reviews)

• Different than other law firms takes a bit of adjusting to get comfortable (in 6 reviews)

"Anonymous"

I worked at Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience. You handle cases from beginning to end. It is easy to find a mentor who is willing to go above and beyond to help you learn and assist you with cases. Excellent work life balance.

Cons

No training. The work environment is high school like. Lots of gossiping and talking about people. The benefits are not that great either. Pay below market rate and increases/bonuses are difficult to come by.

Advice to Management

Do more team building. Include everyone from file clerk to senior partners. Also, listen when people complain about toxicity. Lose too many great employees.

2. "Very straightforward and fair Company"

I worked at Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith part-time

Pros

I applied for a file clerk position as a college student looking for part time work. Their interview was extremely straightforward about the job itself being tedious and boring, but I was extremely okay with that. What was nice was that once they trusted I could do my work without being supervised, you were essentially left alone. I know some people don't like having to deal with small talk or anything, so it was a pretty chill work environment for me. Just left alone with a bunch of boxes for 4 hours.

Cons

I wasn't there for very long, maybe a year or so but a lot of the staff who were there for a long time complained about losing a lot of the fun things the company used to do. Like moral building things ie Bagel Monday or something. I never had much to complain about since I was PT only.

"Accounts Payable Specialist"

I have been working at Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith full-time

Pros

Nice location in downtown, co workers made work enjoyable

Cons

Accounts Payable seems to be forgotten about, bonuses aren't anything and the pay is better at other law firms.

Advice to Management

The benefits should be more affordable for people with children

"Litigation Paralegal"

Former Employee - Litigation Paralegal
    Former Employee - Litigation Paralegal

I worked at Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great stepping stone - it is what you make of it. Although there was no formal training and little to no guidance from the partners I worked for, I learned so much because of an associate who worked there the same time as me. If it was not for her, I would not have been able to learn the way that I did and continue to evolve professionally.

Cons

The partners were condescending. Unappreciative of my hard work. No open door policy. No room for growth. Unreasonable expectations as to the work I was doing and expecting things to get done without the option for overtime. Horrible benefits with the exception of vision insurance.

Advice to Management

Invest in training. Make sure each location has their own ONSITE manager who will make sure that each office runs smoothly and not under the authority of attorneys who will do whatever they choose. Value your employees or there will continue to be a significant high turnover rate. Invest in a greater benefits package.

"Billing Chaos"

Current Employee - Biller in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Biller in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A good place to work for a short period of time, definitely a bridge and not a destination. Great building though.

Cons

When I first started working here, I thought we were through a transition phase. There was a mass exodus of billers, and even the billing manager departed. One person (supervisor) was put in charge of a 40+ billing department. Eventually a National Director was hired to lead us into a better working environment. Now we have four supervisors, but our working environment has not improved, even though the Firm has hired 20 additional billers. We have been told that Firm would like to improve morale, but all there efforts have been spent on cosmetic fixes, that you wouldn't want for a children's birthday party. More billers are leaving, because all the decent/good billers have options, and this is not a place any normal person would want to stay.

Advice to Management

If you are promoting people to higher positions such as supervisors/manager, please require some sort of business education (MBA), or at the very least people skills. It is very sad to see first tier management more interested in impressing upper management, and stepping or throwing others under the bus, in order to get ahead. When supervisors want to lead from fear, rather than respect, very few will follow.

6. "Previous Employee"

I worked at Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People are friendly and easy to work with.

Cons

Unless you're looking for a job in the legal field, there isn't a lot of moving up in the company.

7. "E-Storage Coder"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Proximity to intelligent and respected professionals

Cons

Staff environment is unprofessional
    Inefficiency was encouraged
    Pay was lower than advertised

8. "Billing"

Former Employee - Billing in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Billing in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot to learn. Use this job to learn as much as possible ( websites) and go to a better firm with better pay/ vacation /benefits. If you do your work no one is on you.. the billing supervisor is know it all condescending dbag. He thinks he knows the solutions to all problems but really complicates things more and makes it more difficult. ... but hey!!! Free coffee and water.

Cons

Not sure where to begin....lots of work. As mentioned before, billers are responsible for their own appeals, following up with clients with payment ( should be collection departments work) and bugging attorneys for budgets etc. other departments who deal with billing are extremely rude ( collections department are awful and rude so is the rates department, makes you not want to ask for help and the people who are in charge of those departments have literally been working for 20 + years and are untouchable, so complaining wont help).

Advice to Management

If billing/ money is the blood of the firm, pay the department what they are worth.

9. "Billing Department"

I worked at Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith full-time

Pros

Job security, some great people in the department, decent benefits.

Cons

The location of the department is basically in a dungeon, there are no windows, white walls...it can feel suffocating. The management is completely unprofessional, inappropriate, and disorganized. The workload is intense and they are so short staffed because every keeps leaving.

"Legal Secretary/Paralegal"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Parking almost completely paid, ($30 per month) in enclosed attached garage. Decent salary, but not nearly enough to put up with all the drama. A few nice people, but from the sounds of it they won’t be there long either.

Cons

This is hands down the worst place I have ever worked in my life. The Cleveland office, formerly Mannion & Gray, is unprofessional, unethical and will treat you like garbage. There is no respect given here whatsoever. It’s not just office politics. If you like being screamed at and talked down to like a child then you might like it here.

Advice to Management

There’s a reason people don’t stay...figure it out!!! If LA were smart, they’d cut ties with Cleveland!