LexisNexis Legal & Professional Reviews in Cary, NC | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
LexisNexis Legal & Professional CEO Mike Walsh
Mike Walsh

Pros
Cons
  • So senior management can get rich (in 67 reviews)

• Upper management as all over the place with regard to long term strategy of the product (in 60 reviews)

"Great people, lousy upper management with no clear direction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fortunate to work with an amazing group of people, including managers, US based tech support reps, and sales team. The people I worked with were all very highly competent, willing to share, team-oriented, and funny (that always helps lol). In fact, as the company changed directions over the last several years, sometimes the humor was the only thing that kept us all going :-) LexisNexis offers a very diverse workplace (age, race, culture, sexual orientation, gender), and the work/life balance is good. They encourage volunteering at charitable organizations, so there is plenty to get involved in working there. The pay is decent for the area we live in, and the benefits are comparable as well. My managers were always fabulously supportive and flexible when team members found themselves facing personal situations (health problems, single parenthood dilemmas, educational pursuits), and that is a HUGE Pro for those of us who believe that work and life can exist together but may need a modification during times in life when **** happens.

Cons

Jobs have transferred to Manila over the last few years, and the trend clearly supports more job transfers. As a result, the running joke around the office is that LexisNexis is: "The Titanic." The company seems oblivious to the clearly negative effect this has had on customer satisfaction, employee retention and satisfaction, and daily stress at work that comes from not knowing if you are going to have a job next week or not = Zero job stability. If you ask management about whether or not your position is stable, management WILL LIE to you, even when they KNOW for months in advance that your position is scheduled to be eliminated. Guess it's just HR protocol???? As a result, we also saw many people with years of experience leave before they slipped off the deck into the frigid waters of the North Atlantic ocean.

As coworkers started to get laid off over the course of the last few years, it became a very emotional experience for all of us, and many days we cried throughout the work day. As the Manila operations struggles to keep quality employees and train them and get them up to speed, much of the backlash has fallen back on customer interfacing positions (such as mine) and this made my position become very challenging (lots of escalations). In one instance, they laid off one of the original software developers who had been with the company since the beginning (cost saving measure they said)....then encountered problems that no one could solve, and had to call him back and contract his services at double the salary they were paying him to begin with (nice move!) haha!

The company does not really care about customer satisfaction so that whole "delightful customer experience" dumb tagline that upper management rants about is just corporate b.s. The CEO seems to be a very down-to-earth guy, so we're all confused as to where the company directives are actually coming from: The CEO, or the VP of our office????

Some job opportunities (such as sales positions) offer limited growth, and the company can be pretty clique-y meaning, if you're not a butt-kisser then you may have a problem growing within the company. Some of my team members applied for different jobs within the company after several years of service, and were not even considered. One of them left LN after he applied for like five different internal positions and couldn't even get an interview. He left for a entry level sales position at another huge international software company, and is now a manager making double what he earned at LexisNexis - in less than two years (go figure!)

I only checked "recommend to a friend" because of the following: My advice is that if you are ambitious and desire promotions into upper management, explore other companies. If you are a sole provider for your family, find another stable company to work for. If you are looking for a job to pay the bills and you have another source of income (partner) and don't mind being in a constant state of flux regarding the company direction, vision, growth, and how you are evaluated each year, then it's a good fit. In my experience, it was truly the people who made the job special.

Advice to Management

KEEP YOUR COMPETENT U.S. BASED TECH SUPPORT!!!! People are not going to pay thousands of dollars for incompetence!!!!! If you say you are attempting to improve customer experience and retention, don't lay off people who have had a direct impact on creating an excellent customer experience!! Stop sinking money into products that are clearly NOT working. The organization is top-heavy (too many managers).

Stop changing directions every month. Get some stable senior management leadership in there who understands the "vision" (whatever that means lol) and then is able to incorporate it in word AND deed. Direct managers should not have to do the "dirty work" of hiring and then firing employees because The Top can't keep focus. When you hire an employee, try to at least stick with the job description and metrics so that a year or two from now, employees aren't jumping ship because you have changed the job specs so much. After all, that's one reason why they applied for the job in the first place.

Be careful who you let go of. Not only does it impact the customer, but your decisions filter out into the technie community (small world), which gives competitors distinct advantages! My position was eliminated a few months back. I interviewed with the VP of another software company this past week who said he LOVES the fact that LexisNexis is floundering, has no direction, doesn't care about their customers, and lays off great employees because it makes his workforce richer and his company more successful!!! I have recently interviewed with three companies who have hired multiple LexisNexis "rejects" (a/k/a layoff victims lol)

Now THAT'S embarrassing to have that reputation in an area like Raleigh NC, a city that is home to many technology companies!

"No Growth at Raleigh Location"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cary, NC

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexible. Depending upon group, you might get some work.

Cons

Dayton GTO wants to control power, treats Raleigh location as a satellite office. They don't give any room for promotion, no decision making power.

Advice to Management

If you truly want to make this a global company, fire every one in GTO and start a fresh.

"To big and divided for success"

Current Employee - Analyst in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Analyst in Cary, NC

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible on PTO depending on department

Cons

"Us vs. them" internal mentality. Too much political bickering over trivial things such as dress code in non-customer facing roles. Unannounced layoffs.Too much preaching innovation without action and investment. It's a corporate game with too many managers trying to build their own portfolios.

Advice to Management

Change yourself before trying to change the company.

"Good place to work for years, but has steadily declined over the last few years"

Former Employee - Manager, Software Engineering in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Manager, Software Engineering in Cary, NC

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Good pay. Good challenging work and products

Cons

Constant layoffs. Even when advertising many job openings, they are laying off good employees while other good employees leave on their own. Seems to me like they are hiring in Raleigh/Cary to get tax benefits from NC. But at the same time letting good people go to make profits look better. Revenue prospects don't look good to me.

Advice to Management

Value your people! It's one of your "core values", but it just doesn't happen.

"A great team, an exciting product, and a company that is improving for employees and customers."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cary, NC

Pros

- We stay fairly on top of technology
    - Great coworkers, I've never such a tight knit team before
    - Fun but fast paced culture
    - Improving product and platform vision over time

Cons

- Some middle managers feel a bit too much like used car salesmen
    - Sometimes a little too focused on cost cutting
    - Business side can overcommit team without them knowing and often go for the quick wins over long term wins
    - Still a bit blind on issues of employees, but trending for the better

Advice to Management

I would hold all levels of management more accountable for the performance and happiness of their teams.

"Great people, but lack of professional advancement training & opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

Pros

Great workplace culture and benefits

Cons

No opportunity for advancement and lack of leadership to mentor and help individuals grow out of their current roles and promote.

"Great only at sucking the life out of acquisitions... While core business is disappearing to free/cheaper alternatives."

Former Employee - Development Team in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Development Team in Cary, NC

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great individual contributors to work with. First line managers that try their best given their limited influence.

Cons

Arrogant and clueless SR management and GMs. Would rather talk around the problem than try to dig in and solve the problem. First level managers are left powerless. Budgets are held at SVP level giving Directors and Managers no insight into fiscal health. As a result, all cost saving measures are implemented by treating the person as a number and salary cost instead of their contributions to the organization. Highest paid are first to go. Others see this and proactively choose to leave. One could call it: Talent Cancer.

Advice to Management

Take a close look at the talent walking out the door. The is the intellectual property you invested hundreds of millions in through acquisitions and you are driving them away. Time to pause and reflect on what went wrong instead of defecting the blame.

"Too much work and not enough resources..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits are in line with industry average. There are frequent fun company sponsored events.

Cons

People are overworked and there is a lack of trust in executive leadership and management. Constant turn over among executive and management positions. The organization structure also includes a large number of these positions relative to the number of employees. There's almost an equal amount of time spent communicating and reviewing with different layers of management as there is on actual deliverables. Low morale and high burnout.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like they're human, are valuable, and have lives outside of work. Set reasonable expectations and schedules based on resources. Also, spend more resources on technical, hands-on skills and decrease the management layers!!

"Frequent passive-aggressive behavior and contemptuous attitudes in the N.C. software business. But interesting products."

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Cary, NC
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Cary, NC

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is making headway into SaaS (software as a service) and reorganizes often to stay atop a dynamic market.

Cons

Reorganizes often to stay atop a dynamic market.. Several managers seem to have passive-aggressive behaviors that (apart from the obvious personal drawbacks) result in many meetings to pin people down to commitments.

Advice to Management

More modeling and rewarding of humility and the celebration of others could reduce communications stonewalling and employee attrition.

"Painful"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

Pros

LN really cares about the community and giving back to others. Somewhat flexible with using your PTO.

Cons

Too many people think they are your manager. Execs often forget that if it was for none execs, they wouldn't be in there position. Management will ask for feedback but do nothing with the feedback. Certain departments you cannot get out off, if your good they want to keep you there. There are execs who you do not report to, determine your future. If you have "friends" here, your golden.

Advice to Management

Listen to the "little" people, we are in the trenches and we know more than you think.

Showing 15 of 1,004 reviews