LexisNexis Legal & Professional Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

LexisNexis Legal & Professional New York City Reviews

Updated June 6, 2017

New York City, NY Area

Pros
Cons
  • So senior management can get rich (in 68 reviews)

• Not easy working for a company upper management would rather not have to deal with (in 62 reviews)

"Not the Most Organized"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The employees were very friendly.

Cons

However, the project was not the best organized.

"Invests in Employees"

Former Employee - Solutions Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Solutions Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

The company offered a flexible work schedule and set you up with a home office. They also had great perks and contests which would increase earning potential. Top sales people won trips to fabulous locations. Invests in the growth of heir employees,

Cons

It seemed were working all the time as critical emails which needed to be responded to would go out over the weekend at all hours of the day or night.

Advice to Management

At times it felt like there was favoritism that went on. Also, in my particular case I got stuck with a manager who was going through in vitro, was distracted, did not pay attention to the reports I was sending regarding a particular client and then tried to throw me under the bus to get fired when her boss came down on her. No one interviewed me to get my side of the story. The only thing that saved me was that when she had to go out on complete bed rest, her boss' right hand man took over and only had rave reviews for me. My advice is to have a fair hearing and not just take a manager at their word.

"Good company, co-workers are hardworking"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

flexible, casual work environment, smart & hardworking co-workers.

Cons

it's not the company it used to be - benefits have declined, merit increases are between 1% - 2%, several lay-offs, increased workload, antiquated systems

Advice to Management

communication is still lacking

4. "Interesting place, Creative people, Management"

Former Contractor - Usability Testing in New Providence, NJ
    Former Contractor - Usability Testing in New Providence, NJ

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional as a contractor

Pros

Opportunity to learn
    Good talented employees
    Motivated teams

Cons

Lack of cross functional appreciation
    Management goals not clear
    Lack of management Appreciation

Advice to Management

Engage your employees in developing the corporate strategy

5. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Providence, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Providence, NJ

Pros

Great Pay and Benefits. Telecommute once in a while.

Cons

Management not so great. Some managers are not even fit for their positions.

"Underpaid and unappreciated"

Former Employee - Project Manager in New Providence, Union, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New Providence, Union, NJ

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people on the day to day basis. Clear project expectations and rates that must be achieved.

Cons

Work is mundane. Talks about quality but really wants quantity. Low paying jobs unless you are in sales. Doubled my salary when I left. It's a shame they do not reward loyal employees. Raise starting salaries for new incoming people, but those that were here for years get the shaft.

Advice to Management

You talk a good game about work life balance, but it the end it is all lip service. Quantity is what is rewarded; not quality.

"Great if you live Manilla"

Current Employee - Legal Editor Practice Area Content in New Providence, NJ
    Current Employee - Legal Editor Practice Area Content in New Providence, NJ

Pros

USA: Working from home/ work life balance, decent health plan (at least compared to other companies' plans), intelligent co-workers (at least those who are left), interesting projects. Nice office. Part of the RELX publishing group so there are opportunities for lateral moves other career opportunities in our sister companies. Offices around the world if you want to travel (and have a good reason for visiting them)

Cons

Yearly downsizing in US offices as positions are off-shored. Work load keeps increasing while compensation goes down (at least for those who had a 35 hour week increased to 40 hours without a change in salary so they make less per hour). Quality of our products continue to go down. Penny pinching. Little chance for advancement or a decent raise unless you move to an entirely different RELX company.

Advice to Management

Stop destroying/ devaluing analytical. We make the money for you. Stop devaluing your talent pool. Get rid of some chiefs and hire some "Indians," especially lawyers who know things about lawyers' needs that marketing people just don't get.

"ok company"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New Providence, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New Providence, NJ

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time

Pros

there was room for growth when I started in 2001, and salaries

Cons

yearly change in the management and the philosophy

9. "Great opportunities"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

Pros

Being at LexisNexis has given me the opportunity to expand my career. I've been with the organization for 3.5 years and after 2.5 years I was promoted. Work hard and be rewarded.

Cons

Communication across all business units need to be improved. Unfortunately employees don't know what's going on in different business units. It would be good to share what's going on so all are aware.

Advice to Management

I think great changes have been made to the organization, and trust that the work is getting done. We might want to better communicate the changes in all business units to all employees, not those that are on distributions lists.

10. "Immense opportunity for professional growth"

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time

Pros

Great co-workers who are smart, motivated, and dedicated. If you're willing to put in the work, lots of room to grow professionally and evolve your skills. Engaging and challenging project work. Purpose-driven company with focus on advancing the rule of law around the world.

Cons

Technology and products are rapidly evolving to meet customer needs. Have to be comfortable with moving quick, lean teams, lots of collaboration and creatively working to solve challenges/obstacles.

Advice to Management

To strengthen our flattened org structure - continue to build culture where everyone can have a voice and openness through info sharing.

Showing 82 of 1,038 reviews