LexisNexis Legal & Professional Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

LexisNexis Legal & Professional New York City Reviews

Updated January 29, 2017

New York City, NY Area

Pros
Cons
  • So senior management can get rich (in 68 reviews)

• Upper management as all over the place with regard to long term strategy of the product (in 61 reviews)

"Content proofreading"

Current Contractor - Copy Contractor in East Orange, NJ
    Current Contractor - Copy Contractor in East Orange, NJ

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Served as a temp workers. Work was low pay but consistent.

Cons

The company has been sold to a company in California.

Advice to Management

None

"deteriorating company with no direction["

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers are great and generally have a good attitude. There's usually a group that goes to lunch together and we organize cocktails at least once a week.

The pay is pretty good, and the benefits are good.

Cons

While I have had fun and made some good friends, I feel like my career has not developed at Lexis Nexis. No one cares much about the company and managers don't invest in junior employees. While there's a friendly attitude, there is little collaboration and most employees do the minimum to get by.

Advice to Management

If there is an overall strategic direction for the company, it has not been communicated to the entry-level workers. If we don't have a strategy, get one! If we have one, then we need to work on internal communication.

"good vision, poor implementation"

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I used to feel that LexisNexis represented values that I could get behind. But over time, I realized that wasn't always true. However, the idea (or hope) that you are working to provide better access to academic research and primary sources is certainly motivating.

Pay is pretty good, and I worked with a great team.

Cons

The company is unwilling to adjust to the 3rd millennium. I say unwilling because they know what they could do, but refuse to adjust trusted and tried business models for unchartered territory. Because of this, the outlook is negative in the mid and long term.

Advice to Management

listen to younger employees. Focus on building a company that will be successful long term instead of immediate monetization.

"easy work, but most of dev is outsourced"

Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than a year)

Pros

sufficient time off / flexible hours / competitive pay

Cons

I was hired as a developer, but I ended up managing outsourced projects. I would do code reviews and such, but rarely did any development / little opportunity for career growth / management views staff as a resource to be exploited, not to grow and develop

"can't keep up with the times"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lexis Nexis has a proud history and was truly a great company 10-15 years ago. At least according to the veterans on our team, there used to be a climate of innovation, collaboration, and building value for our paying customers and for society at large.

Cons

While this is a great legacy, it is no long applicable today. Today Lexis Nexis is struggling to survive, fighting changes on several fronts:
    - changing technology (everything is based on the internet)
    - changing values in our culture (people don't want to pay for information anymore)
    - regulation

Today the company's primary concern isn't building value, it's preserving it. This means cutting costs no matter what the cost (no pun intended..) Teams are being outsourced, metrics are more important than ideas, and our teams are micromanaged.

This results in an incredibly uncomfortable workplace where there isn't motivation or excitement.

Advice to Management

think about the long term future, not just about the next quarter's results.

"Company in Transition"

Current Employee - Data Steward in New Providence, NJ
    Current Employee - Data Steward in New Providence, NJ

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Transition is a good time to get new types of experience, and to start over with new relationships with upper management.

Cons

joint venture changes the culture of the company quite a bit, very pared down community involvement and team building which can be supported by the original umbrella but is not part of the joint venture effort

Advice to Management

See what can be taken from the original managing company that can boost moral during transition - support activities that keep energy high - they are not all things with a high financial cost outright, but loss of them may contribute to loss of productivity, with will affect bottom line.

"Employees don't matter, only profit"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

I've been with LN for 2 years now, and I am confident saying that the company is only interested in bottom line financials.

Cons

Employees are only important when they bring value. If a division, team, or person's project is deemed to be not of value by upper management, the entire team can be laid off. More and more work is being outsourced to save costs, so this keeps most of the company on our toes as we wonder what the next division or position to be outsourced is.

Advice to Management

Take care of employees. We're the people who are building the company and working for you full time.

"formerly a great company, now resistant to innovation; leadership is absent"

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

LexisNexis was formerly a great company with an outstanding mandate and vision. As such, many employees have been around for a long time and are committed to that vision. These coworkers are great people from whom I have learned a lot. Working around GCS brings energy and is stimulating.

Cons

Company leadership is afraid to commit to a vision and long term strategy. The only interest is continuing to mine the traditional business models and there is an overall resistance to innovation.

There is little job security as more and more positions are being outsourced unless your in sales or business development.

Advice to Management

Build long term value.

"LexisNexis experiences"

Current Contractor - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Had an innovation tradition; A great brand name, well respected; A part of the bigger parent company. Decent benefit and good severance package.

Cons

Innovation seems now just legacy; very risk averse. Contribution not always recognized.

Advice to Management

Bonus/profit is not everything. Don't punish the growth business ---Respect growth products; Get the biz growing again.

"Great people to work with! Good benefits."

Former Employee - Law Firm Marketing Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Law Firm Marketing Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, good benefits, "decent" products

Cons

Fulfillment of products (web based marketing products), customer service & support are awesome, but reliability of solutions being fulfilled not so great

Advice to Management

more marketing of products

Showing 80 of 1,020 reviews