LexisNexis Legal & Professional Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
LexisNexis Legal & Professional CEO Mike Walsh
Mike Walsh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Company values its employees by providing great benefits and fun-filled activities that promote work-life balance" (in 134 reviews)

• "Love the job with work from home its nice" (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management are not technical" (in 71 reviews)

• "Upper management does not appear to understand the ramifications of the constant cost cutting" (in 67 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Lexis Brand is very highly regarded. It's an easy sell into law firms who need legal research and online regulations. Worked without being micromanaged. Pay was good and was president trips

Cons

The umbrella of offerings was a bit overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

2. "Awesome company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment, flexibility and managers

Cons

Company is a bit slow, claims to be agile, but shadow s of waterfall can be seen(not always though)

"Sales Operations"

Former Employee - Sales Operations in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Operations in Dayton, OH

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility of schedule, generous PTO, matching charitable donations and the people.

Cons

The regular use of layoffs to hit profit margins every year. And, year over year benefits for employees have been declining.

Advice to Management

Stop using innovation as buzz word and start truly innovating.

"Accounting Manager"

Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Dayton, OH

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

PTO was generous along with generous 401K package

Cons

CFO did not care about employees and thought everyone was replaceable. When given promotions raises were minimal. Often asked to absorb others work with no increase in pay or incentives.

"General Employee"

Former Employee - Various in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Various in Dayton, OH

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company has great pay, average health benefits. Most employees are great to work with and work together as a team. They have a great vacation/PTO package.

Cons

There are issues but I loved working there despite them. I just wish insight for the following: Management doesn't seem to see the potential in all employees, lack of training opportunities (success/failure setup), high outsourcing of departments/jobs to other countries which puts the job security at a high risk.

Advice to Management

Provide more specialized training, don't say one thing in person but do another behind employees backs. Take a better look at the outsourcing of jobs for all employees who gave loyalty to the company in the US but lots all their jobs to other countries. It does not bod well when employees lose their jobs to people that have no geographical

Quite oursourcing jobs. Management needs to be on the floor with more interaction with the employees, hold round table events to listen to what employees are saying and wanting as they are the vital connection to the customers we served and know best what the customers need and want. Get more training to employees, listen to what they want to assist them in advancing.

"Multiple"

Former Employee - Customer Service TSC in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service TSC in Dayton, OH

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work/life balance, vacations, retirement match

Cons

There is a lot of turnover and outsourcing to Ilo Ilo and Manila taking jobs from the US .employees.

Advice to Management

Take a look at keeping jobs in the US for the company that has been built by US employees.

"Account Care Customer Support, Miamisburg OH / Help Wanted: New Management / Philippines and ´On-Call’ Updates..."

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Miamisburg, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Miamisburg, OH

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A nice view from my cube. There used to be a lot more Pros, but the current management has worked diligently to remove them.

Cons

- The job is just not ‘fun’ anymore. This position now involves doing the exact same thing day after day, week after week, month after month, etc. There are no longer any attempts by management to make the job more interesting by mixing things up with project work and refresher training.

- Our schedule is micro-managed down to the last minute. We are not allowed to make any decisions regarding our schedule. Even going to the restroom outside of our fixed break or lunch times is frowned upon and counts against us on our annual PDP.

- This job is now reminiscent of being back in school where we needed a hall pass to leave the room! Of course this inappropriate treatment quickly leads to burnout and people leaving, and consequently the hiring of replacement reps in the Philippines.

- It is difficult to get any needed work related refresher training to improve our job performance. The latest suggestion by management is that we should train ourselves in our own time even though we are non-exempt employees. This is unbelievable, but true!

- It is also apparent that management do have their ‘favorite’ employees who get time out of the phones to do project work, etc. ‘Non-favorite’ status means taking calls all day.

- We never see management, they seem to spend all of their time in their offices manipulating numbers. They make us feel like datapoints on an Excel spreadsheet rather than human beings.

- We are only very rarely allowed to attend company meetings that give high level business unit information regarding LexisNexis. During these meetings employees are given the opportunity to ask questions. Our management tells us to request time to listen to video recordings of these meetings, but most of the time these requests are denied. Even when we are able to watch these recordings we obviously do not have the opportunity to ask questions.

- I recently discovered that LexisNexis is not giving pay raises for employees at the top of their pay scale. This is the first time that this has happened. In the past these employees always got a lump sum payment. Apparently this is being done to ‘save’ money despite senior management stating that the company is doing great financially and also having received a windfall profit due to the recently passed tax laws.

- Account Care has a mandatory on-call WITH RESTRICTIONS policy (no alcohol, brief response time, unable to travel extended distances, etc), but does not give compensation for the full week(s) while being on-call. It ONLY compensates employees if they are actually called on to work. Please see the ‘Advice to Management’ section below for more information.

- The company recently introduced mandatory high deductible medical plans (unless you can somehow pay unaffordable premiums) with average deductibles around $4,000. This is like being given a pay cut of $4,000.

- Management do not give us any time to catch up on email, etc before we start the day, even after being on vacation for a few weeks, so it is very possible that we start taking calls unprepared and give customers incorrect information (we are not allowed to check email at home nor before the start of our shift). I did discuss this with management to no effect. However, management often has email time scheduled on their calendars at the start of the day. Strange that they get it but we do not!

- Management tells us not to do ‘something’ and later we find that they are doing this same ‘something’ themselves.

- Quality has been devalued over the years in favor of metrics like talk time and after call work. If a call taker is talking to a customer and has not completely resolved their issue but their allotted talk time has nearly gone, then they feel pressured to end the call as soon as possible even if the customer’s issue is not completely resolved. Crazy! Is this the best way to increase the NPS score for Lexis Advance? In the past call takers did not have this talk time restriction because quality used to be paramount. Management claim that they are just following other call center’s processes (they always quote ‘industry standards’). Why cannot LexisNexis set its own high ‘industry standard’ rather than always following the rest! Let’s get our competitors following us! This also applies to other things like benefits, etc.

Advice to Management

- It is about time that long-time managers retire and give younger people a chance. There are many employees ready for these positions, but these long-time managers are staying put and are stopping real progress being made. They just settle into the routine and nothing changes.

- When management’s foremost accomplishments include several reduction in force actions within the LexisNexis United States organization and the transition of Account Care Customer Support functions offshore it makes one wonder to whom their loyalties lie.

- There should be pay for performance. If somebody is at the top of their pay scale, and their PDP was good, then of course they should get a lump sum payment.

- Unless management are proactive about this I would suggest that Account Care employees look for a solution to their lack of compensation for full weeks while being on-call WITH RESTRICTIONS (as explained in the ‘Cons’ section above). Management tried a similar thing in the past before call takers became non-exempt employees. Employees had to initiate an external action to get this resolved. Do not let management tell you otherwise! This could result in a considerable amount of back pay being due to you, as was the case when call takers became non-exempt.

- Allow employees to attend all relevant company meetings that give high level business unit information regarding LexisNexis.

- Help employees with their medical plan’s high deductibles beyond using the negligible tax savings from an HSA.

- Stop blaming employees for management’s own shortcomings. If management cannot staff the phones with enough Product Specialists nor give regular refresher training then management should be taking the blame for incorrectly entered problem reports, not call takers!

- Stop offshoring our jobs! We have heard firsthand how the LexisNexis campus in the Philippines is much better than ours. Just have a look at the Reed Elsevier Philippine’s Facebook page to see how much their hiring is increasing while ours is decreasing. They have much better training opportunities than we have in the US. Also, their working/break facilities and team building activities are much better. Why cannot you improve our training opportunities, working/break facilities and team building? There was definitely no real teamwork on our team even though management keep on spinning the importance of it. I realize that LexisNexis is trying to reduce the high rate of attrition in the Philippines, but that is no reason to forget about us.

- Management are primarily ‘people managers’. Rather than staying in their offices all day manipulating numbers they should get out and about, asking us how we are doing and what they can do to help. This should not be left to a thirty minute meeting once a month which may or may not take place.

- When denying requests from employees for better training, benefits, etc stop using the excuse that LexisNexis is just following ‘industry standards’. LexisNexis should be setting its own high ‘industry standards’ and the goal should be to have our competitors following us!

- When an employee has an important anniversary at LexisNexis please present the plaque during a team gathering rather than leaving it on the employee’s desk one morning. I have heard of this happening on more than one occasion and it leaves a very bad impression. Celebrating the individual should be a priority.

- Rather than forcing good employees into situations where their only option is to leave the company, management should be proactively trying to keep good employees. Just throwing away many years of investment into good employees is a bad business decision.

"Legal Analyst"

Former Employee - Legal Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Legal Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Loved flexible schedule, I loved my coworkers, Benefits, Working from home 3 days a week.

Cons

More work than employees, lots of lay offs

Advice to Management

Need to start valuing employees more in the United States.

"sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional (More than 8 years)

Pros

i like the friendly people

Cons

their products are not as good

"Great company, awful coworkers"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Dayton, OH

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product respected throughout industry. Company leadership is accessible and effective.

Cons

Did you like high school? Were you in a sorority or fraternity? Then you will absolutely love Lexis/Nexis. No matter how old your coworkers are, most of them act like they are in some club nobody outside the company walls would ever want to be a part of.

LexisNexis Legal & Professional Response

Aug 14, 2018 – Director, Global Corporate Communication

Thank you for taking time to write a review and for your enthusiasm for our products. Yes - our teams are doing very innovative work with advanced technology and analytics that our customers really... More

Showing 679 of 1,270 reviews