LexisNexis Legal & Professional Reviews | Glassdoor

LexisNexis Legal & Professional CEO Mike Walsh
Mike Walsh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • So senior management can get rich (in 68 reviews)

• Not easy working for a company upper management would rather not have to deal with (in 63 reviews)

1. "Mostly good but Dayton/RDU split and LARGE teams make things difficult"

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-- nice office space -- well designed open office environment that is designed to minimize noise and provide you with plenty of space to "get away" if you need to, still look out the window from your desk, and even take skype calls on a treadmill if that is your thing.
    -- flexible work hours with some WFH opportunities
    -- Interesting technology/product
    -- competitive pay and solid benefits (including stellar 401k match)

Good news (if you are in the US), the management has made the decision to reduce the offshore presence significantly. Bad news (if you are in the US), the offshore team has been doing much of the work and the knowledge transfer was crammed into a few weeks so US employees are put in the position of "fly or die".

Good news is that there are some incredibly smart, talented folks who are a pleasure to work with.

There is very good work-life balance... no micro-management.

Also, there are great opportunities to expand your technical skill set, pursue volunteer opportunities, and socialize on a regular basis with your co-workers.

Cons

-- parking decks are FULL and no other place to park without getting a ticket
    -- most management and old-timers are still located in Dayton.
    -- too many worthless standup meetings very early in the morning.
    -- Every day you feel like you are constantly on skype conference calls
    -- very mediocre medical benefits with high premiums, astronomical deductibles
    -- onboarding is virtually non-existent. Better be good at outgoing, tenacious, and enjoy sifting through VOLUMES and VOLUMES of ancient documentation to and figure out what is going on.

LN has been located in Dayton forever. However, they have decided to move their technology staff down to Raleigh. The management has given the Dayton folks a "move" or "leave" choice that has dragged on for years. That makes for old-timers in Dayton "mailing it in" for years so they can collect a large severance package. Most of the people in Raleigh are younger, hungry, and/or new without the product knowledge and their training consists of being left in a corner to go through documentation that is disorganized.... some on Sharepoint, others on OneNote sites, and who knows where. Documentation is inconsistent and spotty at best... particularly as we shift to new agile processes. Tools and technologies are constantly changing but that change takes months to years meaning that you are constantly shuffling between the old ways and the new tools.

If you are an FTE, you are golden. If you are a contractor -- keep your resume up to date. If you want to work here, NEVER apply through a recruiter -- always apply directly. Be comfortable for spending hours on Skype calls at a time.

Despite all the cons, I'm glad to be part of this group. It has taken me a long time to start getting a clue but it is interesting work and lots of opportunity to learn.

Advice to Management

Pick a direction and stick with it. I have never worked with an off-shore team or group of contractors who were so professional, knowledgeable, and were more part of the company than many of the FTEs you have kept on. While you have treated them much better than most contractors are treated elsewhere, their loss is our loss and their skills won't easily be replaced. While the lack of micromanagement is refreshing, it would be nice to have a bit more personalized direction and feedback by my direct manager.

Flipside, they way you are treating your long-term employees during the Dayton to RDU transition is admirable -- particularly in this day and age.

2. "Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional part-time

Pros

LexisNexis is a wonderful work environment with lots of cool work spaces and work perks as well as access to management you wouldn't get in other companies

Cons

No real downsides as of now

3. "Senior Financial Analyst"

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time

Pros

Flexibility, Work Family Life Balance

Cons

Compensation, Room for Career Development

4. "Great company"

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time

Pros

-PTO/paid holidays
    -Great health insurance
    -401(k)
    -Collegial atmosphere

Cons

-Pay is non-negotiable
    -Pay is not reflective of job reqs or duties

"Revolving Door"

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It pays the rent. It's hard to come up with the 20 word minimum here. Working here is better than not having a job.

Cons

Attrition rate is high and pay is low. Technology is outdated. The free coffee doesn't come close to making up for these issues.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at who's minding the store (i.e., middle management). Also put some thought into why all the good people have left.

6. "Review Short"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Close to home and drive is quick

Cons

lack of upper career movement

"Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Good compensation, lots of social event with drinks included. Flat hierarchy in the organization

Cons

Too bureaucratic. Its difficult to get much done. Things are soo slow that its hard to make progress on tasks.

Advice to Management

Make the org more agile and fast moving just like some segments within Lexis Nexis.

LexisNexis Legal & Professional Response

Jul 28, 2017 – Director, Corporate Communication

Thanks for taking the time to write your positive review. We’re working to make the Raleigh Technology Center a good environment where people can be impactful in their day to day work, and enjoy... More

"Marketing Director"

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people, LexisNexis employees are hard working people who care about the business and each other

Cons

Senior executive leadership, they are unable to make their aggressive profit goals from sales so every 6 months we cut costs to make our goals. We aggressively moving most nontechnical positions to the Philippines including customer service, finance, editorial, marketing and sales. Employee moral is horrible.

LexisNexis Legal & Professional Response

Jul 28, 2017 – Director, Corporate Communication

Thanks for you feedback and review. We have lots of good people at LexisNexis who work hard on behalf of our customers around the world. As a global public company, we are held to high standards in... More

"Good Work Environment"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Flexible hours, work hard play hard. Interesting work.

Cons

Large company makes it hard to grow career

Advice to Management

Reconize your employees and be willing to promote or incentivize hard work

10. "Portfolio Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Pros

The people who have worked there.

Cons

Reorganization can occur quite frequently.

Showing 617 of 1,058 reviews