LexisNexis Legal & Professional "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

LexisNexis Legal & Professional Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Feb 12, 2020

3.7
LexisNexis Legal & Professional CEO Mike Walsh
Mike Walsh
Pros
  • "I experienced a work life balance here(in 223 reviews)

• "I love getting to work from home and I am given the opportunity to grow without micromanagement(in 110 reviews)

Cons
  • "Out of date sales mentality from upper management that hasn’t(in 87 reviews)

• "I think this may be due to the leaders or senior management in place for those areas(in 82 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Great place to work - the professional development resources are excellent"

Current Employee - Manager in Dayton, OH

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits (tuition reimbursement, PTO, 401k program) Work/Life balance Encourages professional development & job expansion/rotation Promotes from within

Cons

Specialized Law sales' micromanagement: -The most successful and experienced sales reps have either left, or are trying leaving the company. -Decision-makers either lack sales experience or company/industry experience, yet are are dictating how and when the sales reps should sell, without giving them the resources needed. -Compensation doesn't align with desired results, or the reps can't control the outcome of their performance objectives -Overemphasis on "sales activities" (phone dials) rather than actual results (sales won/closed) Advice to Specialized Law: “It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.”

LexisNexis Legal & Professional2019-05-14

"Great work environment and culture"

Current Employee - Associate User Experience Designer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work life balance, opportunities to grow, collaborative and talented team

Cons

Poor business decisions, ineffective product lifecycle

LexisNexis Legal & Professional2020-02-12

"Team is great, leadership isn't"

Current Employee - Data Scientist II in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing people, challenging problems, great work environment, work life balance, regular on site social hours

Cons

executive leadership is out of touch, no data driven strategy

LexisNexis Legal & Professional2019-11-13

"Not good pay"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Dayton, OH

Pros

Nice people, good work life balance

Cons

Needs to increase salary, needs to show employees that they are appreciated.

LexisNexis Legal & Professional2019-08-12

"Not a great marketing experience"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Dayton, OH

Pros

Time off, benefits, work life balance

Cons

Lack of marketing technology, no marketing professionals to really learn from

LexisNexis Legal & Professional2019-03-07

LexisNexis Legal & Professional Response

March 28, 2019Director, Global Corporate Communication

Thank you for writing your review. We do have solid benefits here at LN, including the generous time-off policy and focus on work-life balance you mentioned. I hope you’ve been able to take advantage of them. As you know, we have many innovative developments coming out of our product and marketing teams, giving us a strong go-to market position. We continue to make improvements and there are opportunities to grow professionally through our Advance U development program. You may be a good candidate for a mentor – someone who can provide some insights and guidance into your career. It’s worth discussing with your supervisor or HR business partner. We want to provide all the support we can to ensure you and LexisNexis continue to grow – this is a good place to start. Thanks again for your review.

"Good but not great."

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Dayton, OH

Pros

Flexibility Great co-workers Competitive Salary Very good work life balance

Cons

Limited career path within the technology organization. If you are at a senior level, there is basically no career path nor opportunity for advancement. If you are in the Dayton location you are treated as second class citizen compared to the UK or Raleigh locations.

LexisNexis Legal & Professional2019-02-27

"A great place to work if you are complacent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

The people I work with are seemingly kind, amiable, and intelligent, even if they don’t really take an interest in me personally. There are 10 cent sodas. The company has a cool mission, even though it does an awful job of pursuing it.

Cons

Merit pay is almost non-existent. Bonuses unheard of. The salary merit increases every year do not keep up with the rising cost of living and inflation, and actually comes out to be a net pay cut each year when factoring in the increasing cost of the company's benefits packages. I have watched friends with comparable education and background increase their salaries to a ten-fold degree when compared to LexisNexis. There is a complete and utter lack of any sort of career path or long-term vision for the growth and advancement of employees. That cuts across nearly all career paths. Most training that the company offers is either tech-centric and offered only to employees within certain high-profile teams, or dealing entirely with "soft-skills" or the more mandatory, HR-type topics. There is very little in the way of training for employees who would like to learn additional interdisciplinary skills or become futurists in their field that apply to work both inside and outside the company. Management does a poor job of sourcing and recommending worthwhile training for employees that are interested in professional growth. If you ask the question, "How can I improve and learn and grow?", it will be met with either an honest shoulder-shrug or a well-recited reference to the company's very underwhelming, aforementioned internal training portal. Very little is put into the budget in the way of pure employee appreciation. The annual holiday party was cut from being one held at a huge venue downtown where spouses were invited, the company provided a free catered dinner, bar, raffle, and DJ, to one that happened during a Thursday workday, outside the office, without any family invites, and one where community service projects were undertaken in the name of the company's brand. It was a universally-panned slap in the face. Don't get me wrong, community service is great and vital to the furthering of community ties and the pursuit of the company's vision, but it should not be conflated, combined, or confused with simply appreciating and celebrating your employees for the hard work and effort they put in every day. Anything else steals the deserved spotlight from a job well done. Additional responsibilities and assignments are regularly doled out by managers who have either no ability or no intention to provide additional compensation to their workers for this additional work. This, along with the fact that there is about a 1% pay increase difference between the highest achievers and lowest achievers means that complacency is widely tolerated and people begin to dread or actively avoid such new assignments. This general toleration of complacency, coupled with a non-existent career path to promotion, wears on motivated and high achieving employees until they either become complacent themselves, or find a better external opportunity and leave the company. The company does provide recognition for some achievements, but to my knowledge, this does not come with any pay increase or bonus, and this recognition only goes to members of teams who have proactive managers or their entire team located at a particular site. Most of the best and brightest employees leave within a short time, because they are not encouraged and empowered to grow. I began my career with the company as someone who was motivated and completely on-board with the company's mission of advancing the rule of law, but over my tenure I have come to realize that the company does not really care about the well being, professional growth, and financial advancement of its employees and that this completely undercuts its effectiveness at pursuing this mission. Upper management intentionally and repeatedly dodges concerns about lack of career pathing and salary growth, by deferring to lower management and reciting rehearsed corporatese. Questions about where recent savings from corporate rate tax cuts would go was met with a vague answer about "corporate debt service." Employees are smart enough to know that this money could have just as easily gone into their pockets to make up for underwhelming merit in past years. When workers have worked hard to attend expensive universities and graduate programs, and are expected to live in an area with increasing living cost, but the company's wages do not remain competitive for the industry or the area, people leave. Employees have student loans, mortgages, and children. Giving employees all the vacation days in the world means nothing if they do not earn enough money to take a decent vacation every once in a while. Many of the people in the office self-segregate into groups centered around their particular product or project area, or otherwise have their own pre-established cliques. I am painfully aware every day that I am not a part of one of those groups, and not a part of the prevailing "techie" culture at the office, and I have felt increasingly isolated and marginalized. Much of this is due to the company's reliance upon conferencing software and Skype meetings with little personal face-to-face interaction. I barely know the people I directly work with, because all interaction I have with them is via technology. The culture is severely lacking. Most people who work within a 50 foot radius of me could not tell you my first name without looking at my nametag. Employees do not care much about corporate do-gooding or cheap soda and pinball machines, or the occasional meeting with beer and wine (an aside to management--as a millenial, I feel demeaned and insulted when management of the site/company thinks/assumes that all millenials want to do is sip craft beer and code in hoodies and flip flops and do not aspire to be high achievers and earn salaries that are in accordance with their level of education and high achievement, or that they are too aloof to know when they aren’t being valued). All employees (yes, including us in-demand, tech-savvy millenials) want a culture where they feel respected as professionals and empowered to actually contribute to the company's direction, feel motivated to work hard because their work will be recognized and compensated, feel connected to the growth of the company, and trust in and experience a truth that the company's success will be their own success. The current culture is one in which employees are clearly treated like a commodity and are merely kept satiated by almost insultingly modest pay increases, the ability to work from home, occasional catering, cheap (but yet, somehow, not free) soda, and an XBox in the break room. It does not reward or compensate hard workers, intelligent people, or attract the best and brightest minds, who are smart enough to go where they are wanted. The company does nothing above the bare minimum in regards to their oft-recited core value of "valuing our people." Corporate will tout "work-life balance" but in my opinion, there is a poor work-life balance. It is ideally a balance, but workers primarily want to work hard, get ahead, make more money for their families, advance in their careers, and carry out a grand purpose or mission in their work. The company provides options to "work from home" or have core hours or things of this nature. They give tons of PTO. This is to ensure they do not have to pay the high achievers the high salaries they deserve, and to have a leg to stand on when talking about the ever-shrinking salaries. For those who are hungry and motivated in their careers, there is a bit too much "life" in the work-life balance, and this tends to make people complacent in their careers. Most of the employees have put their time and money into acquiring useful and expensive skills in order to work hard and become high achievers and earn a great living. They didn't put all this effort in just to have more PTO and the ability to work from home while earning a truly underwhelming salary for the skills they labored to develop.

LexisNexis Legal & Professional2019-03-15

LexisNexis Legal & Professional Response

April 9, 2019Director, Global Corporate Communication

Thanks for taking time to write your review. You raise many concerns about your experience. However, I’m mostly concerned about you feeling isolated – no employee should feel that way on the job. And no employee is helpless. For example, starting a conversation with your manager about your situation and your concerns. Your manager has a vested interest in your success and how well you integrate with your teams and coworkers. Similarly, you can talk to your HR partner. They can help identify tools and resources (both inside and outside the company) that can help you, as well as listen to your concerns. It can also be helpful to take an introspective look at your role. LexisNexis encourages movement throughout the company. Technology roles change and new ones open up on a regular basis. You might be a good fit on a team with more local staff or one with the skills you are trying to develop. And as much as we try to assess this in the hiring process, it’s worth noting that not every person is a good fit. That said, LexisNexis continues to have another strong year. We’re bringing innovative products to the market that our customers love. We’re hiring strong talent and training our teams in advanced technologies at a very high rate. We make many efforts to bring people together through social events, volunteer activities, professional development other site-based activities. We also offer competitive benefits and market-based salaries. And we do have career path programs which your HR partner can help with, especially if your manager is unclear. All of this happens as we continually improve in pursuit of advancing the rule of law. This year along we launched a new Rule of Law Foundation, designed to take this mission another step forward. There remains much work ahead, but our efforts are paying off in pro bono service, promoting women’s leadership in law and assisting human rights defenders in legally documenting rights atrocities, among many other efforts. No other company is doing this kind of work. Please check out the website to learn more – www.lexisnexisrolfoundation.org. I hope that things improve for you and that you’ll find time to have that conversation with your manager or HR partner. Thanks again for writing your review.

Continue reading
  8. "Good Entry Level Office Position"

in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional for more than a year

Pros

Cohesive team that delegates work when workflow is high. Managers are extremely flexible and allow a good work-life balance. The office is very nice and clean, with amenities readily available for employees. Opportunity to take free online classes during downtime is a huge plus. The chance for career development in Engineering is a viable route if you have technical skills.

Cons

Workflow can be stressful, with daily deadlines to push content through. Computer equipment is outdated and compensation is not as high as it should be. Career growth is limited to analyst-to-manager promotions during vacancies, unless you have technical skills to offer Engineering.

LexisNexis Legal & Professional2019-01-30

"People are great but upper management lacks judgement"

Current Employee - Product Owner in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Reasonable work life balance, they are trying to offer trainings.

Cons

Top down, a lot of disfunction.

LexisNexis Legal & Professional2018-10-12

"Good Starting Place"

Technical Support Representative in Dayton, OH

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Pros

Pay/Benefits are great. Work/Life balance great as well. Plenty of resources for assistance.

Cons

Don’t expect a raise unless you get promoted or go to a different department. Even then, you’ll have to fight for one. Outsourcing is eminent as they look at the bottom dollar. Most customers want you to do their job instead of educating them on how to do it. Simplicity is way overlooked.

LexisNexis Legal & Professional2018-09-28