Lexmark International Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Be Ready for Change"

Current Employee - Enterprise Software Support Specialist in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Enterprise Software Support Specialist in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Lexmark International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast Growing, Relaxed Culture, Good People

Cons

Fast Growing = Lots of Change -- Downsizing and reorgs seem to be a constant thing over the past 2 years.

"Best people I've worked with"

Current Employee - Consultant in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Consultant in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Lexmark International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I first started I couldn't ask for a better place to work, company and culture were everything I was searching for.

Cons

Since the sell, the culture has greatly declined and many of the people I loved working with are no longer there.

Advice to Management

Management has always been great! No advice for them. If you're fortunate enough to work with any of them, you'll know why everyone loves them.

3. "Engineer"

I have been working at Lexmark International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People, unlimited vacation, pay, location

Cons

Future uncertainty with Chinese ownership

Advice to Management

Keep the company growing with new hardware focus.

4. "Good people, difficult environment with constant acquisitions"

I worked at Lexmark International full-time

Pros

Had good strategy for growth, hired good people, very ethical for a large company. Good benefits and work/life balance.

Cons

Growth strategy, while good, was too focused on acquisitions, resulting in fatigue for employees. It was difficult to execute when the rules of the game were always changing.

Advice to Management

It's too late at this point given Lexmark's current status but one area for improvement is to be more flexible when working with partner ecosystem.

"Done. So very, very *done*"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Lexmark International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It was once a great place, with scrappy people and a "satisfy the customer" attitude.

Cons

Geeze. Where to begin?

Strategically, the company has no place to go. Print is dying, quickly. Moreover, companies that *are* buying print aren't using consumables like they once did. The Imaging R&D can't justify its budget, so expect cuts every year from now on, if not every quarter.

That last flight of super-expensive devices went "thud" in the market, didn't it? You didn't need to develop it in the *FIRST PLACE*, but you needed to justify that R&D budget for another 5 years.

The software business is a mess and will be sold-off for pennies on the dollar. The "Phoenix Kofax" will still be run by its megalomanical CEO. That pernicious potentate thinks he's another Steve Jobs, so act accordingly employees.

Then there's management. Choose your metaphor: Lifeboat...melting iceberg...sinking ship. Whatever the case, they keep kicking out people who disagreed with them, so the standard cadre of sycophants are left. Hopefully APEX gets that and has cleaned house, but who knows?

Advice to Management

You're no longer wasting shareholder money and time, so congrats. You succeeded in living off consumables profits waiting for the music to stop. It's stopped.

"Not much life left. Future strategy is a long shot. Older employees forced to step aside."

Current Employee - R&D Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - R&D Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Lexmark International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great co workers. Unlimited vacation is awesome. Flexible work as needed. Good tools and technology are generally available. Lexington is a decent place to live.

Cons

Dying. Upper management always seems to "know what best" and demotes anyone who doesn't agree. Some directors at this tech company can't even use a computer beyond basic email, but they are setting the vision?!

Most people recognize the new strategy as what drove our inkjet business into the ground, now being repackaged to do the same for our laser business.

Many solid managers dismissed and replaced with youngsters who don't know what they are doing. I was recently told that if you are over 45, don't bother trying to have any sort of career path (especially if you are male) - those spots are reserved for the chosen few.

Advice to Management

Build a winning team and stop the ageism!

"The pre-Kofax days were great"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Lexmark International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited vacation, great 401(k) matching.

Cons

Software side (formerly Perceptive Software) now being managed by Kofax in anticipation of selloff. Substantial layoffs in preparation for the sale. Substantial culture change from old days.

8. "Constant change"

I have been working at Lexmark International full-time

Pros

Good benefits, friendly atmosphere, committed to customers

Cons

Constantly changing owners, executive management, no direction or strategy as of now while going through multiple owner changes

Advice to Management

Need to figure out our strategy and communicate to their employees, which will then drive success for ourselves and our customers

9. "So So"

I worked at Lexmark International full-time

Pros

Good people, close to home.

Cons

Limited investment. Hitting hard times.

Advice to Management

Invest!

"Not so great anymore"

Current Employee - R&D in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - R&D in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Lexmark International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company used to be called Perceptive Software and the culture and product and team synergy was awesome. It was definitely one of the best work experiences I've had.

Cons

The company was recently purchased and another company that was bought along the way is absorbing everyone and there have been layoffs and technology shifts that move towards making rapid money fast and no care for a leading quality product.

Advice to Management

There isn't much advice to give to management. The management above us have either left or are doing their best to try and keep what we had. But it's a sinking ship right now with a dismal outlook.