Leydig, Voit & Mayer Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

"Eh"

Former Employee - Document Clerk in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Document Clerk in Washington, DC

I worked at Leydig, Voit & Mayer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They were willing to teach, give a lot of chances, and are very warm.

Cons

Tedious, not given enough work.

"Leydig, Voit & Mayer"

Former Employee - Paralegal in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Chicago, IL

I worked at Leydig, Voit & Mayer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Your own office, treats on birthdays and holidays, clean environment, great in-house copy center, supply room, structure, nice building, convenient location(metra below building and access to pedway), lots of food options in the building, professional environment.

Cons

I started out without any experience. I wasn't paired up with a more experienced paralegal to mentor me or show me how to do things correctly or efficiently. I knew the bare minimum and only learned things as they were required for the projects I was doing. I feel as though I would have been able to do my job a lot better if the firm invested a little time into teaching me what to do on all levels. I would have had a better understanding of the big picture. I didn't get the experience I needed to become successful until after I left this place. Also, they will bring you in at bottom dollar. Don't be foolish to think that you will get pay that matches your experience or workload. You will have to leave Leydig to get the pay you deserve for your position and work product.

Also, it seems that the firm has lost a lot of clients over the past 5 years. They have some good patent prosecution, but lost all of the big money litigation. It makes me weary of the future of the firm. With the current situation, it is unlikely that the people on the bottom(staff - not attorneys) will get the boost they deserve. If you're desperate for a job or experience, you may be happy to start out here. If you really want to develop your career and get the experience and mentorship you need to succeed, this isn't the place you want to invest all of your time and hard work. I stayed at this place way too long and wish I left years ago. There are greener pastures out there!

Advice to Management

Treat your staff with the same respect you give to your fellow attorneys. You will get more from them if you treat them as part of the team. People want to be involved in the business and have a lot to contribute, if you give them the opportunity. If you treat them like a fill-in, then that is what they will act like. A good managing partner should want to know the details when issues arise, so they are dealt with properly. If you don't treat your employees fairly, then they will continue to leave bad reviews of the firm on websites like Glassdoor!

3. "Legal Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Leydig, Voit & Mayer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team, interesting work, great after-work activities, great insight into the legal field.

Cons

No upward mobility, very heavy workload, lots of turnover, average pay

Advice to Management

The support staff would love to have their feedback heard.

"Going the Wrong Direction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Leydig, Voit & Mayer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This firm offers profit sharing and matches 401k contributions. However, there are no profits to share when the firm isn't making any money.

Cons

I have worked here for over 5 years and the place has just gone down hill. Leydig is being managed into the ground. There are many bad things I could say about Leydig, but will just point out a few. In all my time here, they have never hired a secretary with experience. They only seek cheap employees, new grads with no experience and no expectations(and consequently no interest). This place is definitely an old man's club(white man), leaving women of all levels(attorney, paralegal, secretary) last in line behind the men. The partners at this firm fight like they are all so much more important and powerful than the others, which makes it difficult to come to agreement about simple things. And above all, they pay bottom dollar and do not seem concerned with something called "quality work". I worked at 4 other law firms and none of them had these problems like Leydig has!!

Advice to Management

It's time to look for a new managing partner. Find someone who is more focused on the future of the firm rather than someone who wants to make sure everyone knows that he is in charge of what happens and how much money is spent.

5. "Toxic work environment"

I worked at Leydig, Voit & Mayer full-time

Pros

Compensation is average. Some people are nice and fun to work with.

Cons

As far as human capital is concerned, company culture appears to be selfish, counterproductive, and Machiavellian. Many seem inept or unambitious except in respect to social maneuvering and power plays. There is a lot of gossiping, a lot of backbiting, and a lot of self-centered, one-way conversations, sometimes it's all hidden by cheery faces, but it comes out behind closed doors or in how the work gets handled.

As mentioned before, working here requires good working knowledge of specific industries, but the company offers little training or access to knowledge to how it applies. Some hoard information, even to the point of refusing to discuss how they want to approach a job if you have to work together, except to disrupt and criticize and your contributions in any way they can. This is usually just to distract from their mistakes or poor choices, or to use their status to make other people look bad. The environment is highly disorganized and overwhelming because the confusion allows people to hide their motives or more easily shift the blame for poor outcomes.
    It's all just a setup to scapegoat whoever falls into the trap.

There are many exceptions to this throughout the company, but the likelihood they and you will be setup to fail and thrown under the bus regularly is pretty high.

"Horrible work environment"

I worked at Leydig, Voit & Mayer full-time

Pros

Decent salary. Good way to gain some experience in the law industry, especially if you are considering going to law school.

Cons

This was one of the most unhappy, anti-social jobs I have ever held. Most of my co-workers were only concerned with themselves and their own business, and could not be bothered to make eye contact with others. I had no previous law experience and received only two days of unhelpful training, from someone who was not qualified to do so. I never felt that the particular lawyer I supported cared about me at all, and often times when he would be out of the office I was left with nothing to do - my day was 8 hours of staring at my computer screen, reading Buzzfeed articles and talking on Gchat. And not one person noticed, or cared.

Additionally, I had no idea who I reported to. Was it my lawyer? The woman who hired me? The office supervisor? Any time I tried to ask one of my superiors a question about the work the response was to ask one of my co-workers. There was no organizational method in place that I could find, and often times I was left to figure things out for myself. Then, of course, I was criticized for doing the work incorrectly.

Advice to Management

I know that you're lawyers...but you could at least try to pretend that you care about other people.

Oh, and provide sufficient training.

7. "A great starting position"

Former Employee - Summer Clerk in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Summer Clerk in Chicago, IL

Pros

The employees are nice, and everyone works hard to make the company stronger. Additionally, the firm is very good at IP law.

Cons

People don't seem overly productive, and everyone seems like they're a bit unhappy with the their work experience. Limited room for growth.

Advice to Management

People need to be happy with their work, which means recognizing their efforts.

8. "Best firm I've ever worked for"

Pros

The firm culture is wonderful - there are no little cliques or politics. Everyone is friendly and helpful.

Cons

I wish they trained people better or hired people with experience.

9. "Great place to work"

I worked at Leydig, Voit & Mayer full-time

Pros

There is room for growth if you tell them and show you are driven.

Cons

The job is repetitive. The 401k plan does not get matched until after your first year.

10. "Great place to work"

I worked at Leydig, Voit & Mayer full-time

Pros

Everyone was very friendly, good atmosphere, perfect location, beautiful view out of the office, my boss was great to work with

Cons

I can't think of many cons or many things that I did not like. There were some people that were unhappy but I was not one of them