Leyton Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.4
William Garvey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • As someone who has hit target often, I will admit it is hard work but far from impossible (in 10 reviews)

• good career progression on offer for those who hit target (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Make sure to try and achieve some work-life balance as allot of time is and will be spent on the road across extended working hours (in 4 reviews)

• Highly KPI driven and working overtime is almost an expectation rather than a bonus (in 4 reviews)

1. "Fun, vibrant and an excellent place to start your career!"

Former Employee - National Accounts Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - National Accounts Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Leyton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent training package for starting your sales career. I started here just over 2 years ago as a graduate with no sales experience and they really do give you the tools to exceed if sales is exactly what you want to do. The money you can earn by exceeding target is also very good for your first year of sales too, so make sure you milk it. Above all else, the culture was probably one of the best things. Everyone's good fun, outgoing and sociable and will be very friendly to people who start.

Cons

Sometimes can be a little too KPI driven, especially if target for the day is already hit but that comes hand in hand with any graduate sales job.

Advice to Management

Keep the incentives flowing and make sure the atmosphere is kept fun. Maybe a little less worried about call stats too.

"Great culture and atmosphere"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Leyton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leyton provides a fun and friendly working environment which makes any new joiners feel welcome and a part of something. Progression is meritocratic and they are transparent with where you stand within the company. Sales Managers always have your best interests at heart and are willing to help when/if you are struggling which is testament to the time/money they invest in your careers. Incentives are great (bounce,flight club,escape rooms etc) and there will always be colleagues around to have after work drinks etc.

Cons

KPI driven which is standard for cold calling.
    Turnover of staff can be high but this is usually for the people who have been there for less than 3 months and didn't understand the role fully.

Advice to Management

Continued motivation and incentives.

"Great, Young Atmosphere"

I have been working at Leyton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Leyton provides a great platform for graduates straight after university. It's young and fun atmosphere, making it an incredibly interesting place to work. I really don't think I'll ever work somewhere as fun and full of so many weird and wonderful characters.

Cons

Large emphasis on dials. Many of the best people in the job make minimal dials and have a different way of working.

The commission structure is designed to reward the very best in the office. If you are average, you'll walk away with a few hundred £ a month only. (Pro if you're good)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing in terms of incentives.

"Leyton"

Current Employee - Senior Executive in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Leyton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Given the right training to succeed
    - I was given time to find my feet
    - The team are very friendly and have always been happy to sit down and help
    - Very fair system for promotions. Prove yourself! It took me a while that said
    - Plenty of incentives set up by the business
    - Hard work is recognized

Cons

- It is tough when you're on a bad run but I suppose that is the same with all roles similar

"Senior Commercial Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Commercial Executive in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Commercial Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Leyton full-time

Pros

The main reason I joined Leyton, like the majority of my colleagues, is the promotion opportunities. Regardless of whether you want to be in the field, a manager or consultant, promotion is based on targets/merit and is not particularly political so providing you work hard you will be able to realistically achieve this within 9 -12 months.

Leyton UK has an incredible culture of work hard, play hard. The company rewards individuals for the work put in through commission structure as well as extra curricular incentives such as fun days out and meals in fancy restaurants. This culture runs throughout the company including senior managers.

I have made genuine friends here and plan on growing with the business. Great way to start a career in Sales!

Cons

Sales is tough and has it's ups and downs. Some months are tough and at some point you will have to stay a bit late or come in early.

"Fun professional enviroment"

Current Employee - Business Development in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Development in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Leyton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked for Leyton for 2.5yrs now and it is by far the best company I've worked for. The support that staff receive is great and it is a very open and transparent environment. It's the first time in my working career I've experienced no cliques or backstabbing with everyone is genuinely pulling in the same direction. Such a rewarding company both in terms of job satisfaction and financial reward. The growth and results of the company speak for themselves.

Cons

The companies growth targets mean a focus on targets and KPI's. But this is a commercial organisation so that comes with the job.

"Leyton Scotland"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Leyton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a BD you are highly rewarded in the role in terms of salary, commission and benefits. Expensed company car given from top German brands. Sales team and management work very well together with everyone wanting each other to do well. Leads generated by Selfgen and Telesales giving a balanced mix of potential to go after. R&D still a wide open market with loads to go after so long-term potential very strong in the role. More and more products coming on increasing the potential offering to clients. The company is focused on diversification and sustainability.

Cons

Diaries can and do change daily so you need to be able to adapt quickly. This can feel relentless but lots of support is given from line managers. Make sure to try and achieve some work-life balance as allot of time is and will be spent on the road across extended working hours. Some frustrations can keep through when signed agreements fail to progress but on the whole, this is rare to happen.

Advice to Management

Give more time and reward for client management and retention instead of all being focused on net add.

"Perfect entry level sales job in London"

I have been working at Leyton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great working environment/people
    - fantastic work life balance with plenty of rewards on offer for good work
    - ideal role for graduates looking for an entry level position in sales in London
    - plenty of training offered - I had no prior sales training
    - graft is rewarded and noticed
    - good career progression on offer for those who hit target
    - by no means a cut throat sales environment - instead its an office of driven people wanting to hit their targets as well as helping others along the way
    - Great office location

Cons

- Given the nature of sales it can be tough when you have a bad spell but there is plenty of support on offer when this is the case
    - high turnover of staff in the sales team - again, to be expected in an entry level role

Advice to Management

In a targets based environment it can be a lonely place to be when you arent hitting targets and emails are sent round to the entire office showing this - a culture of naming and shaming can follow where people arent hitting target because they want to succeed but instead are trying to hit them through fear of failure. Instead of calling people out for not hitting target, ask questions as to why they arent hitting them.

"Make sure you know EXACTLY what you're signing up to"

Former Employee - Commercial Executive
    Former Employee - Commercial Executive

I worked at Leyton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- meritocracy
    - some nice people there
    - reasonable sales training

Cons

- horribly repetitive and boring cold calling from 8.30am to 5.30pm minimum
    - prospecting (finding) companies to call is tiresome and drawn out as the market is highly saturated.
    - KPI's and targets can be unrealistic and difficult to achieve
    - KPI's such as the number of dials you make is not an accurate measure of success - yet you are told off for not always achieving these
    - the huge earnings promised by recruiters typically do not match reality
    - given the nature of cold calling you should expect some less than friendly hang ups from people you do get through to
    - really did not feel like I was learning / doing anything that would particularly benefit me in a future career
    - turnover rate of staff is high

Advice to Management

- KPI's such as number of dials really aren't the best way of measuring success or ability.
    - More training on how to efficiently prospect.

"Great place to start a graduate career"

Pros

Leyton provides a very unique experience which I genuinely believe is not found anywhere else. The company culture is second to none, it’s full of like minded people who get on like great friends rather than colleagues. The pay and commission structure is more than generous with a new role being recently released in which people hitting their target consistently are promoted to a pre- field sales role and are even awarded an extra £500 for hitting target.
    As someone who has hit target often, I will admit it is hard work but far from impossible. The management team are understanding if you struggle and provide you with the support if you need it. There is not one week that’s gone by in which an incentive isn’t running. The managers acknowledge that sales is a difficult job at times and really try to incentivise it when they can. These include, days out, evenings out to fun bars/ restaurants, early leave incentives, gift cards etc.
    I was promoted within my first 3 months at the company and instantly trusted to conduct interviews etc as well as being trusted with other roles.
    Leyton is a fun place to work which really balances out the difficulties that Sales can bring. Alongside these benefits, management take on their roles with stride but also act as friends that you can go to in times of distress or worry and really manage to balance the two roles well.
    In my time I have also seen the pay being re-evaluated and increased, numerous promotion opportunities and fun incentives.

Cons

Sales is not for everyone. If you genuinely can’t handle the ups and downs that sales bring, then it isn’t always the workplace that’s the issue - it’s the role itself.
    Although sales is a role in which someone is definitely awarded for their hard work, this role is KPI driven and involves cold calling. However, this is clearly mentioned in the first interview that someone has before getting the job so it shouldn’t come as a surprise.
    Longer hours are sometimes required but that’s never enforced.
    As Leyton specialise in a niche area of tax consultancy, it can become a relatively repetitive job.

Advice to Management

Continue to try and motivate your team to do well, as it really does help, (keep doing what you’re doing)