Lia Sophia Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Tory Kiam

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Met new people, exciting, positive, eventful (in 4 reviews)

• It is amazing how much you can make in direct sales if you work hard (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I would recommend working in the direct sales industry in another capacity (in 3 reviews)

• Too many lavish expense reports from upper management have left this company with little to salvage (in 2 reviews)

1. "Advisor"

Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Madison, WI

I worked at Lia Sophia (More than 10 years)

Pros

The flexibility of being an advisor was great. I could set my own schedule and the earnings were unlimited.

Cons

Unfortunately, the company went out of business. I would recommend working in the direct sales industry in another capacity.

2. "Regret the Employment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wood Dale, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wood Dale, IL

I worked at Lia Sophia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary, benefits, some talented employees, jewelry, jewelry discount. Met some good friends and connections there. Did some creative work although approval process was highly disorganized.

Cons

Everything. The place was so poorly run with bad management and unethical policies, from the top down. They ended up letting go of everyone and then closing and lying to all of their commissioned sales people. Morale was horrible.

Advice to Management

What comes around goes around. It's just telling that this company inevitably closed and is no an outlet store online only. When you treat people terribly, good things do not come.

3. "Overall"

Pros

We had fun times with end of year celebrations and summer events. Experiencing the annual conference, working with the advisors and getting free jewelry for a job well done.

Cons

The company closed! That was hard to deal with. Especially when you were lead to believe one thing but in actuality it was a totally different story that upper management knew about.

4. "Shady shade"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Lia Sophia full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

So I worked here for quite sometime, and saw some really shady stuff go down. I don't know that there is an upside to this.

Cons

Everything. From hiring decisions to HR not being aggressive enough in pushing back. Workplace was very very hostile.

Advice to Management

Business is closed - but seriously hire good people to run your business.

5. "Disappointed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Lia Sophia (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun job - love the customers

Cons

Poor treatment of consultants, poor quality product over last few years of busyness poor business ethics

Advice to Management

Place more value on the people that are in the trenches making you money

6. "Horrible Working Environment"

Pros

My coworkers were very kind, creative people who genuinely cared about their coworkers and the quality of their work. Casual environment.

Cons

Had to report to two managers, when I was originally told I was only reporting to one. Had a person who had no idea what I was doing directing me and making poor decisions. Worse of all, the president of the company will embarrass you publicly with no compunction. There is no rational conversation with him or the management. He is hateful and everyone takes it or they get out. I chose to get out with my head held high.

Also, management was deliberately withholding information both their warehouse and shipping companies, and overtly lying to them. If this is the way they treat their business partners, they are certainly not going to be honest with their employees or customers.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage. Treat your people with respect. Employees are adult professionals not children or slaves you can treat however you want. Learn honesty.

7. "Dishonest ending"

I worked at Lia Sophia full-time

Pros

Had a great career with lia sophia. It is amazing how much you can make in direct sales if you work hard.

Cons

The family who owned lia sophia vowed to the field that they would never "sell out" by cutting us out and selling direct, acknowledging that is was the FIELD who built the company. In the end they were dishonest and untrustworthy and selling out was exactly what they did. I have been raised that "you never bite the hand that feeds you". Shame on the Kiam Family. The moment you place more importance on dollars than people is a sell out in it's entirety. I would rather be able to have good character and hold my head up high, I am not sure they would feel proud to look us in the eye and that is not a success story in my opinion.

Advice to Management

I think it's too late now.

8. "Manager"

Pros

There was a time when it was a great place to work. New management came in who did not understand direct sales and took the company down a bumpy road.

Cons

Worked with a skeleton crew. So everyone was spread very thin. Departments did not communicate very well so missing information.

Advice to Management

It is too late for advice. The company closed their doors. Very sad! I understand the company is opened selling online which has made the field angry.

9. "Unfortunate Business Closed"

Pros

Good employee culture
    Good benefits and compensation
    Good opportunities to develop skills and experience

Cons

Consistent direction caused rework, missed details, difficult to give customers a consistent answer.

Advice to Management

Helpful to stay with policy or decision once made to avoid embarrassment with customers.

"Questionable Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Lia Sophia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Owners in New York are great. Good brand with a former good reputation.Used to be a really good place to work. Now, we are all unsure of our jobs, or even if we will have one every day we come in to work.

Cons

The man the owners hired to run the company as President has no clue how to run a business. Avoid like the plague.

Advice to Management

Hire a CEO or President who understands management and how to run a business.