Liberty Diversified International Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mike Fiterman

1. "Deeply rooted values"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Hope, MN

I have been working at Liberty Diversified International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

LDI has all of the resources of a large corporation with the values and culture of a family-owned business. All of the subsidiaries join together for a very strong organization while each holding their own unique cultures and attributes.

Cons

Communication and vision can be a challenge given all of the different subsidiaries but the leadership team is fantastic and communication has improved greatly in the last 2-3 years.

Advice to Management

Keep up the communication and employee involvement/buy in.

2. "Clamp Truck Operator"

Former Employee - Clamp Truck/Forklift Operator in Haltom City, TX
    Former Employee - Clamp Truck/Forklift Operator in Haltom City, TX

I worked at Liberty Diversified International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits , steady work.

Cons

Some supervisor personnel hard to work for.

Advice to Management

Random Drug test everyone more often.

"Inefficient waster of cash"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Liberty Diversified International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've met some lovely people here. It's an easy commute with no downtown parking required.

Cons

Not at all diverse. If you're white, over 40, straight and married, you're in. Their benefits plan only covers same sex partners in states where it's required. Talent isn't as important as a positive attitude and it shows in the bottom line. There's absolutely no focus on the customer, no teamwork required, and no clear strategy. It often feels like playing business for pretend while adding toxic office politics that rival anything on tv. No real forward movement is ever made because leadership is focused on their personal success rather than on inspiring the ranks and driving a solid strategy. I would go so far as to say we are leaderless. What we have are reactive people who focus on reports instead of long-term success. Nobody seems to know what our strategy is. Recognition for hard effort is not recognized and the Fitterman philosophy is "if you don't like it, leave." The founder, Ben Fitterman, is still talked about with deep reverence. The apple fell far from the tree.

Advice to Management

Don't make improvements to the business optional. Set real expectations and hold people accountable. Focus less time on gossip and griping and meetings with no actionables and more time on customer satisfaction and employee satisfaction. Set performance expectations, insist on peer reviews and skip levels. Stop with your current environment of overpaying and over staffing sycophantic management and get customer-focused, improvement-focused leadership in place. Most importantly: let people do their jobs. Don't indulge in directors who insist on creating silos and think they can do every job in the division better than the people educated, experienced, and hired for said positions.

5. "Great Employer"

Current Employee - Customer Care in New Hope, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Care in New Hope, MN

I have been working at Liberty Diversified International full-time

Pros

I work for Safco a subsidiary for LDI. I started 5/20/15 and found this company to be very caring towards its employees. Not just the division I work for but all division and LDI overall. I have already recommended to all my friends.

Cons

I do not have anything negative to say. I guess I can add to the PROs and tell you about all of the volunteer options.

"Liberty Carton Packaging"

Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Liberty Diversified International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rock solid stable company, doing business almost 100 years. Family own business

Cons

Many management changes, Inconsistant directions,

"Change and Turmoil"

Current Employee - Professional in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Professional in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

There is a general concern for a work-life balance, a genuine concern for employees, and a concern for the community in which we work. I work with some great people. The company has good intentions and strong ethics.

Cons

Talented people do not stay long. General Managers and Directors change over often. Strategic direction is lacking

Advice to Management

There seems to be a significant disconnect in the company. Executive Leadership members are not engaged with the divisions. It is an "Us vs. Them" environment, and there is a great deal of blame form divisional leadership to the corporate office. This is not healthy. “Work Place Effectiveness” is sent in often, with good intentions but lacking results. General Managers and Directors do not stay long.

In the past eighteen months or so, there has been a seismic shift in the company/divisional direction. In fairness to the other divisions, I can only give examples of what I have seen in my division. Constant change in leadership leads to change in direction. When I joined the company, I joined a successful division, yet most recently, we have seen another new General Manager and the most talented leaders removed from the division. One leader who valued strategic direction and accountability was suddenly terminated for reasons that are still unclear. Another was forced out (terminated?) because he was told he needed move out of state for the division and would not move once again. These were two respected and strong leaders, and yet they were not replaced with the same caliper of talent. In my short tenure, we have one leader who is still in the role he was in when I started. With all of the change, vision and direction are no longer. The shift has move from "Is that on Strategy?" to "What is our Strategy?" These instances are not unique to our division. Every leadership summit seems to have many new faces and a void of many others. Change is good, but only in moderation.

If the corporate leaders spent some in depth time within the divisions, they would understand the dysfunction. The company has low tolerance for under performing businesses. With more involvement from the top, maybe we can avoid more divisions being closed. I think there is hope for the future, but the right change has to happen. What was once passion has turned to apathy. I hope the leadership of the company realizes this before it is too late.

I will eventually move on, but want to see success for all of my peers.

8. "Family oriented company!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

The people make it great to work here.

Cons

The compensation and benefits package could be more competitive

Advice to Management

Ensure the most qualified people are in the correct positions.

"LDI's Leadership needs to wake up!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Hope, MN

I have been working at Liberty Diversified International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very flexible work schedules as far as work/personal life goes. Their community involvement is admirable and they participant annually in Habitat for Humanity, Meals-on-wheels, Race for the Cure, and more. Good technology and support. Good benefits with generous profit sharing.

Cons

LDI used to be a great place to work. Employees with years of valuable experience & knowledge of the organization suddenly disappear without much explanation. People with tenure and wonderful experience are coldly dismissed by HR and shown the door. The Leadership Team is either cold like corporate HR, buffaloed by HR, or have no clue to what is going on in the ranks. They need to wake up. Managers with even a small amount of power will make your life miserable if you do not agree with them. Cliques.

Advice to Management

Act on some of the concerns expressed by employees. Walk around occasionally and talk and listen to your employees. Do some investigations.

"The "family" has left the company a few years ago"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Liberty Diversified International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people I work with are the best. They make it easy to collaborate and rewarding with some of the accomplishments

Cons

Management has no direction. Managers keep leaving. Difficulty in hiring GMs for the divisions that stay to create or maintain a direction. Benefits are good but salary is lacking. What do you expect from a CIO that says 'If you want more money, get a different job'

Advice to Management

Stop trying to think we are a 'family' anymore. That's ok but don't fool us and yourselves.

"Change is needed from the top down"

Current Employee - Middle Management in New Hope, MN
    Current Employee - Middle Management in New Hope, MN

Pros

The people, the support and camaraderie of ones fellow employees is fantastic. The employees at each division of LDI truly know the meaning of the word "teamwork" and go out of their way to help each other succeed. When it comes to difficult situations (either personal or work-related) you could not find a better support system than the ad-hock group of work friends.

Cons

There is a varying and inconsistent message continually flowing throughout the organization. Due to the inability of the executive team to honestly present and debate their vision with Mike Fiterman, employees receive Mikes vision, and then many of the executive team come through with their vision which, at times, area 180 degrees different from Mike.
    The compensation offered is much less than what is offered in the local market. LDI is torn between being a "family business" where lower salaries are expected due to small size and an "international" company with an employee base of over 1500 and operations throughout the world where rewards are comparable to other similar companies.
    The constant flushing of management. Most of the General Managers for each Division ("Business") have been on board for fewer than 3 years. This revolving door assures that each Division is either training in a new GM, adjusting to a new direction, or awaiting the arrival of the newest GM. With this model, true consistency and growth will never be achieved and the 2010 vision will not be achieved.
    The money and effort spent to market the businesses as "the best place to work" or "community focused" when the employees are the ones who make that possible. The survey results that indicate this miss the point that people within the businesses create this feeling within their business unit, it is not happening from the top down, but the bottom up.

Advice to Management

Be honest with each other, be honest with Mike. You are all shirking your responsibility by not debating opposing views and you are damaging the company by allowing Mike to micromanage divisions that he no longer has day to day contact with. If you cannot confront this basic problem that resonates throughout the business, you are not earning your keep. Believe it or not, lower level employees realize the misalignment between the Executive Team and it is a cloud that remains over our daily work lives as we wait for the next zig or zag in our individual direction.
    Compensate your people fairly so that you do not have to worry about other companies taking your best talent.
    Hire the best people you can and let them run the businesses. Do not send an Executive Team member through with new ideas, clouding the direction already issued by the GM on a regular basis.