Liberty IT Reviews | Glassdoor

Liberty IT Managing Director William Hamilton
William Hamilton

1. Featured Review

"Amazing"

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Liberty IT (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Flexible Working and great work-life balance
    - Fitness class and well being workshops
    - Great associate training program and training opportunities
    - Amazing teams who always help and support each other
    - Monthly social events with social club
    - Great opportunities

I can't recommend this enough! I believe every job is what you make out of it and Liberty for me has been an amazing and the endless opportunities and support I got is world class. I can't imagine ever changing this job. Thank you for being a great work place to work. ! Keep up the great work and continue to support your staff!

Cons

I can't think of anything bad to say about this place! Its been the best opportunity I ever got!

Feb 6, 2017 – Managing Director

I am delighted that you are having such a positive experience at Liberty IT. It’s all about the people in Liberty IT (and the technology of course!) and we truly appreciate the value that each and ... More

"ok"

I have been working at Liberty IT full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

some of the most capable people I know work there

Cons

They are lions led by donkeys

3. "PROFESSIONAL"

Current Employee - IT Helpdesk Agent in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - IT Helpdesk Agent in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Liberty IT (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment, Professionalism between management and all others, Social Activities, Trainning

Cons

Location, Parking, Salary, Career Development

Advice to Management

Making more effort on get people to participate, engage on social events, training and career development

Apr 28, 2017 – Director Of Operations - Dublin

I’m always delighted to hear from current employees as it guides and shapes our thinking as we move forward as a company. I was also really pleased to read that you find the work environment great ... More

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Liberty IT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Training (except for system guys - comment from their department).
    - Flexible time, compress week, etc.
    - If you have no experience, that could be a good start.

Cons

- Manager harassing employees using his position to block developers careers. This guy went back to my team trying to put them against me, fortunately as I'm a professional and my team trusted me, they told me about that and supported me. It's so annoying to hear constantly you have not level enough to promote with excuses, no real facts. At certain point you start thinking you're bad at what you do, and unfortunately speaking with other devs they were feeling the same, it's more common inside the company that I thought. I started this "fight" because I couldn't see one of my coworkers crying because how this manager treats employees. We realised the problem was the manager. He literally told me "I have no time for your team".
    What a surprise when you go and check in other companies, they love you! of course I was a senior, I even exceed the expectations!

- Managers normally absents due to calendar full of meetings, so you'll be missed. (That could be considered as a positive feedback if you're not so good programming or you don't have much aspirations in your career, you know, you get a reasonable salary and if you do an average work, that would be enough. I would recommend this company if you fit this description - many people inside the company fit that as well, I don't want to sound pejorative, it's true, it's just a different mentality or the way you see your life, that's all. With "doing the average" I don't mean doing nothing, just the average, don't get stress and worried).

- Managers doesn't know how to handle resources. i.e. I know contractor left the company because he hasn't have job enough or he's been assigned to do "junior" work. That could happen to you as well, not just contractors, in fact it's actually happening.

- HR very rude, it seems like you owe them your life (except the girl during my exit interview, although I don't think they'll do anything to fix the issue). Again, I verified it with other coworkers, so no, it's no me or because of my situation, HR is ruining the image of the company.

- Company doesn't care about people in Belfast, the only interest is how the Americans think about us. I told my team about my issue and the answer from the direction of the company was (literally) "Don't say anything to the Americans", rather than asking me "what's the cause of that? how can we deal with it? etc". That's the most important for them, not you.

- From my point of view, They're becoming as a kind of religious sect, you can't complain about anything because the "policy" is the "policy". HR and managers will repeat that like parrots.

- There is no public salary range-band available, the salary for a SE and SSE is lower than other companies, even in Belfast you can get up to 10k more per year in the same position. They can say the average is in the same range as other companies....yes, but you're comparing people in the company from 10-15 years with people with the same or even more "IT level" and less years and they don't have the same fair salary.

- Lack of natural promotions (associates to software not included). They invite you to apply for internal positions, very limited and randomly available, mostly in different markets so practically there are no chances to fit the requirements (different technologies, etc). You have more chances applying outside (As I did, fortunately). The average to promote to Senior is from 5-10 years!! I verified it with other coworkers there, this is not new, that's a non-writing rule there. Some veterans employees think because in the past it took them 10 years to get promoted, everybody now should take the same time, LOL.

- They implemented Agile methodology, but just for developers which mean: as developer you do everything now. But the company is still in waterfall, any process you need to raise or any queries, take ages from HR and they will treat you as you were doing average work even if you work harder than the rest, so no promotion.

- You have to BEG for your awards (literal expression from HR email). Sometimes the company gives awards to employees, so you need to beg to receive it, if you realised you got it, because there's no notification about them.

- Legacy code in mostly of the projects. Client developers not too bad, Services developer using IBM tools, it's the worst thing I've ever seen, you'll waste your time developing their app.

- Many meetings (easily 40% of your day) and they expect you to develop as the speed of someone with no meetings during the day and no distractions.

- There's no balance from a team/market to another: you could be lucky if you get a great manager (there are) but from comments with other employees, it's difficult to find it. You can work 10 times more than other guy in other team and you will get the same salary as him.

- You can read a recent comment about an employee from Dublin Office. It's 100% true and I can say this guy was polite. Everybody knows in Belfast, the worst projects are assigned to Dublin office, nobody feels they are at the same level as here. Salary is not even competitive when your office is far away from Dublin! HR there doesn't even answer applicants.

You're wondering: Why they got GPTW award? I can tell you (it's just my opinion):
    - Senior people normally working from home or compress weeks, that's very limited in other companies. It's a great extra when you have family.
    - Plenty of juniors in the company: votes positively (as I did previously) because they don't know how the company really works.
    - Knowing how Dublin office works and They got the same award this year, I have serious doubts on how honest is the people doing the survey or how this award works. But hey, It's ok.

Note: Everybody in the company knew me, they will know who is writing that and I told them about my issues and how the company didn't do anything to sort that out. I wish them the best, at least they're aware now about the reality there. I did it for them too, but it's like David vs Goliath, I can't do more if they don't want to change so I just left (but I'm proud I helped them with similar issues, moving them to different teams thanks to me).

Note 2: I said I wouldn't recommend it to a friend, but because my friends are professionals and experienced. But again, If you have no experience it's a nice company to start with and you can jump to a different one with your knowledge, earning what you deserve to be respected.

Note 3: Sorry, it's been a long read, but I've been honest as I usually am; And I know more people in the company, at the same level SE, that feels the same but they're scared to do something like I did. The consequences: I had to leave the company. I have proves of everything and emails for any doubt you have. I wouldn't complaint about anything if the company doesn't adverts things that can't accomplish, I'm realistic and I have so many experiences in other companies, so I saw lot of "things", I'm not new on that.

Note 4: And try to understand the context of this text.

Advice to Management

A manager shouldn't know everything, a manager should handle the resources properly and let the experts do the work.
    Stop harassing people.

Apr 5, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your time with us. I was disheartened to read your views on career progression in LIT as we are committed to helping our employees advance ... More

"Trying, but failing."

Former Employee - Software Engineer Java in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Java in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

Modern office, good workspace. Flexible working options / work from home (team dependent). Good variety of people who generally are very amicable. Canteen & free parking. Good training opportunities for lower grades anyway. Office director seems to be really trying to improve things. Appear to be very active in promoting from within.

Cons

Brutal middle management - disconnect between upper senior management and whats happening on the ground. Constant turnover in staff affecting morale and stability. Salary not in line with Dublin norms. Shortage of experienced developers to lead teams. Poor support for legacy applications. Software engineering process is poor. Project managers only seem to care about budgets and deadlines, never quality of code or growing the teams skills, pay lip service to good development practices. Question marks over whether Belfast really want the Dublin office to perform. From talking to other teams, Dublin seem to get the junk projects.

Advice to Management

If you talk the talk, then you better walk the walk. There are so many messages being transmitted, its like every tech buzzword is whizzed around the place but often very little substance behind it, which means you lose credibility. Shut the Dublin office if you don't really want it to succeed, there's plenty of other companies in town hiring at the moment. Offshore all legacy applications if LM wont finance modernizing them. You have a two track organisation and nothing bridging them. You need to be very careful about what some of your pm's are doing.

Feb 28, 2017 – Director Of Operations - Dublin

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, although I wish we had the opportunity to discuss it in person. Our Dublin office is growing and very much an integral part of our organisation, in ... More

7. "Great people, lots to learn"

Pros

Good people. A lot of fun

Cons

Work load. very strict call centre environment.

Feb 7, 2017 – Director Of Operations - Dublin

Thanks for taking the time to post. I am sorry you aren’t with us anymore and I’m glad you had fun and enjoyed working with the people here – that’s rewarding to read. I was disappointed to read your ... More

8. "Very Positive so far"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Liberty IT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive Salary at my level
    Competent management, quite open minded and receptive to experimentation and change which is great
    Competent workforce, some very smart and effective people here, felt it brought up my game
    Super friendly people, and helpful, always willing to give some time to help you out or explain things
    Yearly bonus depending on performance(again, at my level, not sure about others)
    Feel there is opportunity to advance quickly if you put in the work
    Dublin office has big growth plans coming up, great time to get in
    Really good amount of levels, I've worked in and know about companies that have an entry level, a level you reach after a few years, and a level you reach about 15 years later. Here it seems you're never more than a couple years off a new title and pay bump if you put the work in
    High up management genuinely willing to make changes to improve the overall experience of employees, and improve general performance as a development firm

Cons

Could be less meetings & things to dial into, but to be honest they've already addressed that in recent months and are working on improving it
    I'm stuck to think of anything much else, I know some people are working on a bit of an out of date stack, I doubt that can be avoided in almost any company though.

Advice to Management

They seem to already know what so much of management do not - just ask the employees regularly for their opinion and listen to the answers it's not rocket science, and yet I have seen it myself 1000 times, I hear from so many engineers in other places that have management like this.

Jan 30, 2017 – Director Of Operations - Dublin

I am delighted to hear that you have had a positive experience so far at LIT. Regarding some of the points you made; we pride ourselves on being a career driven organisation, promoting from within ... More

"Long serving employee"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Liberty IT part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible working arrangements
    Excellent work life balance
    Great benefits
    All of which combine to make a company you would like to stay in for a long time

Cons

Salary seems low - in my experience you are not rewarded for long service, if you don't negotiate a good salary on the way into the company you are stuck on a below average salary for the length of your service, although Liberty do conduct surveys to check salaries they do not publish salary bands so there is no way of knowing if your salary matches others of the same grade, performance and service.

Oct 4, 2016 – HR Director

Thanks for taking the time to write your review and I was really pleased to read that your overall LIT experience has been positive across your 10+ years. It’s great to read that you appreciate ... More

10. "Liberty IT Review"

I have been working at Liberty IT full-time

Pros

Good salary, great benefits, it is a good place to work. Offices are modern and spacious. Good career opportunities. Very flexible with working arrangements.

Cons

Not really any major cons, maybe management could be a bit more open with team decisions and moves. Management styles can vary greatly from team to team

Advice to Management

Be more open with decisions that may affect your team directly or in-directly.

Oct 19, 2016 – Managing Director

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience of working at LIT. I really enjoyed reading your very positive review. We are committed to doing our best to help our employees to find a ... More

11. "A great place to work!"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Liberty IT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Surprisingly innovative for such a large company
    Plenty of opportunities to learn from very experienced people. Mid-management management team are very approachable, realistic and highly experienced.
    Friendly/laid back culture & people
    Loads of training and opportunities for career development

Cons

Some parts of the organisation seem to be a bit more behind on the times than others, and it may be difficult to get a transfer if you want to work on more interesting projects/technologies.

Advice to Management

The laid back and friendly culture is what makes this place. Make sure this isn't lost as the company continues to grow

Oct 19, 2016 – Managing Director

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. I am delighted that you had such a positive experience while working with us. Thank you for the recognition of our extensive learning ... More