Liberty Mutual Insurance Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long
David H. Long

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Biggest growth opportunity would be the work life balance associated with positions in the Direct Response Center (in 236 reviews)

• No work/life balance, in the 18 months I worked there was unable to get a day off (in 52 reviews)

"BI Claim Rep"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, great location and co workers

Cons

Treat you like a overworked dog. Unrealistic expectations and caseloads

Advice to Management

care about your employees

"More egos and politics than Capitol Hill"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salaries, almost impossible to get fired

Cons

--very poor management at all levels
    --News of big changes sprung on employees AFTER the fact
    --gigantic egos and office politics create a toxic work environment
    --company believes its own propaganda, so true innovation/improvement never happens
    --cold, unfriendly, non-supportive atmosphere where everybody does the minimum to keep getting paid

Advice to Management

A recent employee opinion survey indicated more than a third of your workforce did not "Trust the senior leadership to be open and honest with employees." One of your Vice Presidents ignored this finding and instead declared that moderate improvements elsewhere were GREAT RESULTS!!!!

Working for Liberty is like being part of the Trump administration. You have to hold your nose every day while leaders you can't trust flail around and inhabit their own reality.

"Sad"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is good - it's the ONLY reason I am still there. Benefits used to be good, but are pathetic compared to what they used to be.

Cons

Sr. "Leadership" is a complete joke. The egos that they have - ALL OF THEM - is just incredible. They chase the shiny object and want to be a tech company instead of an insurance company. Constant reorgs and layoffs have killed morale in the office. Everyone is walking on eggshells wondering when their number is going to be called. The company used to care about their employees, and now the only thing to care about is their inflated bonuses for executives due to outsourcing everything, adding more corporate jets to their fleet, and talking out of both sides of their mouth. They are NOT to be trusted!! I have been here over 20+ years and would most definitely NOT recommend this place to anyone!! EVER!!

Advice to Management

Blow up the entire thing starting at the very top - and take all of the yes men with you. Focus on insurance and stop trying to be Amazon, Google, etc. Pick a strategy and stick with to see if it actually works. Your hocus pocus keep changing things all the time before somebody catches on to your incompetence isn't good for anyone. P.S. - I'm sure I won't get a "thank you" response from anyone from LM for sharing my feedback....lol. Can't wait to get out of this place.

Oct 5, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

We appreciate your review, but we're sorry to see that you wouldn't recommend us at this point. We aim for an inclusive environment where there is a feeling of trust and fairness. Our goal is that... More

"It is becoming obvious that there is no grey hair at Liberty Mutual"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Comp and Ben are competitive

Cons

If you join this company in your 40's......it is highly unlikely that you will see any real advancement. You need to be in the inner circle of 30 somethings to be considered for roles regardless of your experience and qualifications. The same people keep showing up on org announcements. So....this is not a place to come to later in your career and expect to be valued. Majority of leaders are either ex-McKinsey folks or youngsters who grew up at Liberty.

Advice to Management

We talk about the criticality of Diversity and Inclusion.....now do something about it.

"Stifling, antiquated, bloated corporation"

Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strict 37.5 hour week - no extra effort required as "good enough is good enough" is the mantra in the marketing dept

Great destination for the fearful and risk adverse

Cons

Freelance model breeds lack of employee loyalty and profound disengagement

Rigid, old-fashioned, "this is how we've always done it" culture

Mind numbing sea of beige cubes and vanilla thinking

Aug 9, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. So sorry to read that you wouldn't recommend us at this point; we hope we can turn that around. If you have suggestions on how we can improve, we... More

"Terrible Leadership Decisions and Stifling Environment"

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Honestly none besides that you can fail your way to the top

Cons

Just recently allowed jeans (but still business casual)
    No personal email
    Corporate leadership might as well be a chicken with its head cut off
    Don't trust employees or actually care about culture

Advice to Management

Stopping thinking in antiquated traditions and focus more on really what your employees want

Jun 14, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

We appreciate you spending some time writing down your thoughts. We work hard to provide an open, positive work environment that employees can be proud of. We always welcome opportunities for... More

"PITA"

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance (More than a year)

Pros

Not a positive environment - other than some good people who experienced the workplace similarly.

Cons

One of the most toxic environments ever worked in. Favoritism and in-fighting among senior leadership in HR. Some good people but watch your back.

8. "Associate Disability case manager"

Current Employee - Associate Claims Case Manager in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Associate Claims Case Manager in Dover, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Monetary incentive, ability to further one's education and with the companies assistance with paying college tuition. There's always room to grow, (or so they say.)

Cons

Always being Overworked, Poor Management that often will make you feel unheard.poor training that leaves you unprepared for the job at hand, and horrible "mentors" that are supposed to be your go to person. Favoritism between managers and other co-workers. The stressful work environment is not worth the money. If multiple employees warn you to tread lightly around your manager. There's a problem. Or if someone who's been with the company for over 25+ years tells you they've seen your manager pick people apart until they finally just quit or get fired, then there's a problem.

Advice to Management

Managers need to take an ACTIVE interest and role with their team members and provide them with the appropriate tools to succeed. And a word of advice for HR listen to the employees concerns! Believe me, we don't take time out of our insanely busy day to tell you these things for nothing. Take action and do your job as our voice. Perhaps then there wouldn't be such a high disability case manager turnover and current case managers wouldn't have and unmanageable work load.

"Multiple Management Roles Over A 10+ Year Span"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Liberty is just over 100 years old and steadfast in modernizing its practices. Over the last several years, Liberty has strived for a lean-like operation, going as far as branding its own management system; however, to date, it has only penetrated the facade of the business.

Being a large company, it has wide footprints - mostly in the midwest and east coast, offering a range of opportunities to those that live in, or desire to move to those areas. Salaries are average.

Cons

Restructuring is a common practice, often displacing very talented people and creating very tall, bureaucratic configuration within the many SBUs.

Learning opportunities can be frequent, but are often limited to the narrow track of business in a particular unit.

Frontline management is primarily comprised of promoted technicians, giving rise to an ever increasing gap in fundamental managerial practices. Middle management seems to be caught between doing the right thing and heeding to the demands of the executives, often making promises they cannot keep and losing key personnel.

Work/life balance has been a popular thought over the last few years, but it seemingly has only been achieved with lower pay grades within certain SBUs.

While salaries are average, they are much lower than younger companies across different industries. Health benefits appear appropriate to such a large and mature company - limited and costly.

The culture appears to be driven by the home office in Boston, with many of the regional offices carrying resentment for this aspect. Once pseudo-independent, regional offices prided themselves in making regional decisions, even if it was only on the surface. Restructuring and centralization has caused an increasing rift within Liberty. Employees are given and annual survey, seeking honest opinions about management, operations and pride in the company. While scores, as well as participation rates have increased over the years, so has interdepartmental competition, coaxing participation and offering rewards to those offices/departments that carry higher rates of participation.

Advice to Management

Please reflect on the necessity for a mutual company to surpass revenue goals year after year. What are you impacting when taking a knee-jerk demand that operating expenses need to be reduced (or some other significant reaction) in order to achieve those goals? What components and or mechanisms are necessary for a mutual company to thrive in the future?

"Dictator style management"

Current Employee - Architect in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Architect in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance (More than a year)

Pros

They pay more than other companies

Cons

You will never know when you are the target and will be taken out. Full of games, poor managerial skills. Top management has no clue how managers treat their reportees and HR does not help in anyway. It's a rigged system.

Advice to Management

No bother. Company will be obsolete by technology soon

Showing 47 of 3,383 reviews