Liberty Mutual Insurance Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Updated November 14, 2017

Boston, MA Area

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Biggest growth opportunity would be the work life balance associated with positions in the Direct Response Center (in 237 reviews)

• No work/life balance, in the 18 months I worked there was unable to get a day off (in 53 reviews)

1. "Data Science Internship Program"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern

Pros

Liberty Mutual's Data Science Internship program is an excellent opportunity for students to get exposed in insurance business. Internship projects are very interesting and challenging (you would be amazed how data science is utilized across the organization).

The pay is competitive.

LM helps with the relocation for the interns

The program is a great opportunity to build up a professional network.

Many social and professional activities organized for the interns including but not limited to scavenger hunt, harbor cruise, presentation skills training, executive speaker series-where you have the chance to listen from the leaders, and so forth.

Cons

Can't think of any cons.

"Job security without much autonomy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Liberty is a good place to get started and there are a lot of potential career paths you could pursue there. Analysts and actuarial students have development programs when they first start out which provide structure.

Cons

The flip side of being part of a 'development program' is that you don't have much control over your career early on. The leadership lacks vision, falling back on buzzwords and acronyms instead of actually helping their employees do good work. I was often frustrated, having a technical job, but not being given much freedom to use methods/tools that seemed appropriate for the job. A lot of the analytical work feels more clerical because you end up copying things between spreadsheets instead of really working closely with data.

Advice to Management

There's too much focus on process and management concepts and not enough focus on good ideas. "Innovation" is a word that gets thrown around a lot, but nobody seems to be willing to accept the time, uncertainty, and often failure that leads to actual innovation.

Liberty Mutual Insurance Response

Oct 26, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thanks for sharing your experience. We do our best to foster an open work environment where employees feel empowered. We're sorry to hear of your experience. We will pass your feedback along... More

3. "Great Company!"

Former Intern - ADP Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - ADP Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern

Pros

Everyone was very nice and the work that I did within ADP was interesting.

Cons

Lots of people just live for 5-o'clock.

Advice to Management

Find a different way to promote work/life balance. Motivate your employees to work hard.

4. "Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome place to grow and develop. People at Liberty are very dedicated to helping you along your career path, at any part of the company! Work life balance is great!

Cons

Very big company, work can be slow as a result. Bureaucracy. Data.

Advice to Management

Make getting and analyzing data easier!

Liberty Mutual Insurance Response

Oct 12, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thanks so much for your review! We're invested in developing the incredibly talented people who work at Liberty Mutual. Glad that's been your experience!

"BI Claim Rep"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, great location and co workers

Cons

Treat you like a overworked dog. Unrealistic expectations and caseloads

Advice to Management

care about your employees

"More egos and politics than Capitol Hill"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salaries, almost impossible to get fired

Cons

--very poor management at all levels
    --News of big changes sprung on employees AFTER the fact
    --gigantic egos and office politics create a toxic work environment
    --company believes its own propaganda, so true innovation/improvement never happens
    --cold, unfriendly, non-supportive atmosphere where everybody does the minimum to keep getting paid

Advice to Management

A recent employee opinion survey indicated more than a third of your workforce did not "Trust the senior leadership to be open and honest with employees." One of your Vice Presidents ignored this finding and instead declared that moderate improvements elsewhere were GREAT RESULTS!!!!

Working for Liberty is like being part of the Trump administration. You have to hold your nose every day while leaders you can't trust flail around and inhabit their own reality.

7. "ADP is solid overall, but room for improvement"

Former Intern - Analyst Development Program in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Analyst Development Program in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern

Pros

*Many training opportunities - as an intern, I felt that I was able to dip my toe in the water in skills such as SAS/SQL and VBA.

*The program is set up with plenty of opportunities for mentorship/guidance, which allows interns to learn a lot. I felt very comfortable with my team/boss and the ADP Mentor I was assigned to.

Cons

*The survey placed me on Marketing, even though I had no interest in Marketing. I questioned how much they use the survey as a guide in terms of placement for the summer.

*The work was bland - one long project vs. many smaller ad-hoc projects took some adjustment, and I wish this was taken into account when considering placement.

*My team had multiple leave, and the last week I was left in the lurch in regards to who I was reporting to.

Advice to Management

Overall, I enjoyed my time at Liberty but couldn't see myself there full time. It ultimately came down to personal preference and the belief that I can learn/do more at a different firm.

8. "Great intern program and impressive pay"

Former Intern - IT Intern in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Liberty is extremely in making the internship program a great experience. They set you up with mentors that make you feel welcomed right away. Everyone in the company wanted the interns to have a good experience and was willing to talk to me/teach me/let me shadow them. They also set up an project for all the interns and divide you into teams so you get to know people. There is also an opportunity to participate in a volunteer day.

Cons

Some of the work I was doing was monotonous and didn't seem to have a big impact. There were also a lot of unnecessary meetings each week that were not productive.

Advice to Management

Don't schedule meetings if they're not necessary and make meetings that are necessary more productive. It also would be nice to understand why I was doing the work I was doing and how it played into the bigger picture.

"Used to be Great - Never Ending Reorganization is Killing Morale and Motivation"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart people, challenging work, flexible work schedules, work at home, great co-workers, some opportunity for movement amongst departments, some managers are great.

Cons

The current environment of never-ending reorganization has been affecting many for over a year resulting in low morale, minimal productivity, and lack of confidence in the company. No one knows who is responsible for anything so either too many people are involved OR not the right people. Employees are in constant fear that they are going to be laid off.

Advice to Management

Make a final decision on the organization and get it DONE. Leave it in place long enough to give it a chance to work. Stop assuming that there is always a better/perfect organization which will make the company better. It is constant, too frequent change which is causing efficiency issues.

10. "Means to an end"

Former Intern - IT Intern in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent Pay, great flexible time off

Cons

You are only used for Liberty's IT requirements and don't really care about you as a person, or a Software Engineer.

Advice to Management

Too bureaucratic, feel like we're used as a means to an end

Showing 632 of 3,384 reviews