Liberty Mutual Insurance Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Liberty Mutual Insurance Boston Reviews

Updated June 26, 2017

Boston, MA Area

Pros
  • They are concerned about work/life balance (in 288 reviews)

• It's an overall great company with tons of great benefits (in 241 reviews)

Cons
  • Tough work/life balance which lead to high turnover (in 224 reviews)

• No work/life balance, in the 18 months I worked there was unable to get a day off (in 49 reviews)

"Leadership says one thing; means something else"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Comp is good
    Lots of smart people working here
    W/L balance is great

Cons

Management spins everything in a positive light, even when they make changes that have a negative impact. You have to read the fine print very carefully. Health benefits have been cut in the past year.

Advice to Management

Just give it to us straight.

2. "Human Resources Intern Program"

Former Intern - Human Resources Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Human Resources Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience - worked with a lot of different mangers and a lot of different projects

Cons

After the internship program, I was offered a job in their Human Resources Development Program. While I loved working there over the summer, the program seemed a bit disorganized and it was difficult to get a straight answer about program logistics.

"Would recommend to some but not all friends..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some areas at Liberty have great pay, great work/life balance and humble managers who try to include their teams and make good decisions. If you're in the right group and/or working for a good manager, Liberty can be great.

Cons

I have had 9 managers due restructures (which are frequent), some good (see Pros) and others who played favorites or cared more about impressing superiors than supporting their team (and in some cases I can hardly blame them since the superiors were the problem). Some managers say they want honest feedback but if you say anything they deem negative they will punish you. And it's hard to change jobs unless your manager is supportive.

Advice to Management

I know I am not the only employee who feels stuck. I want to develop new skills so I can have more opportunities in Liberty and stay current, but it seems like Liberty would rather hire for some skills externally than help current employees upskill. Management should also know that some feel that tenure and age are playing a role in restructuring decisions and it's making people sad and fearful.

Mar 14, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

We're sorry to read that you wouldn't recommend the company at this point. We're invested in developing the incredibly talented people who work at Liberty. It sounds like you don't feel that's been ... More

"Overall good company and benefits."

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Big company, decent benefits, semi-flexible work arrangements, 401k match 50% up to 6% pay, mission statement, lots of talent, tuition reimbursement and insurance designation reimbursement and bonus.

Cons

Big company is also a con at times with a Corporate cookie cutter environment. Communication sometimes feels like it doesn't make it through all levels of the team/department/organization the way it should. I also view the company as more of a follower instead of an industry leader.

Advice to Management

While I think it is ultimately up to each individual to develop and grow themselves, I think leadership could do a better job at fostering development and advancement opportunities at all levels, not just the top.

Apr 19, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thanks for a thoughtful review. We are invested in the growth potential of every employee, but we appreciate your feedback here. We will share it as appropriate, and we encourage you to speak with ... More

5. "A wonderful work environment and company culture"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good amount of time off, helpful coworkers, everybody's will to help, very educational, opportunities to do impactful work while still an intern, fun company culture

Cons

Limited options for full time employment within marketing, a lot of approvals necessary for anything outwardly facing

6. "Good Company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and competitive pay. Lots of recognition for those who go above and beyond. Management cares about all employees.

Cons

Due to a multitude of factors, our health insurance plans have become more expensive and don't cover as much. They have also significantly decreased the pension and set the 401k match to a fixed amount (used to have a discretionary match based on company performance).

Advice to Management

Review health plan and see if we can get better coverage. I know of friends who work for smaller companies and get 100% coverage after their deductible.

Mar 14, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thanks for the kind words. We're so glad to hear you are satisfied overall! We also appreciated the feedback on benefits. Your constructive feedback helps us to improve the employee experience.

"It can be good depending on your department/manager"

Former Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- smart employees and leadership
    - good benefits
    - decent pay
    - friendly people
    - nice office

Cons

Management in HQ plays favorites. No opportunity to grow and develop skills. The internal training and professional development curriculum is useless and I was shot down multiple times over multiple years when I tried to use the budget for outside training. Lots of office politics and covering to impress your manager.

8. "Great Place to Intern"

Current Intern - FinancialProgram in Boston, MA
    Current Intern - FinancialProgram in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very well designed internship program.
    Work weeks are 37.5 hours on the dot, no long hours.
    Very good at creating an internship community.

Cons

Do not extend offers to the vast majority of interns.

Advice to Management

None, great company and great program.

9. "Pros and Cons"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of bright people. High expectations. Good access to resources

Cons

Values consultant opinions over employee opinions. Lots of reorganizations leads to multiple managers and inconsistent feedback with no real grooming for next role.

Mar 14, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's good to hear that your outlook is positive. We do our best to ensure that employees feel empowered. We'd encourage you to talk with your manager about your ... More

10. "Executive Compensation Manager"

Current Employee - Executive Compensation Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Executive Compensation Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Organizational culture and sense of community; opportunities for growth and development

Cons

Large organization can take longer to get to completion

Mar 14, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thanks for taking a few minutes to post a review. We’re glad to know your Liberty Mutual career has been positive!

Showing 573 of 3,074 reviews