Liberty Mutual Insurance Reviews in Portsmouth, NH | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long
David H. Long

Pros
  • They are concerned about work/life balance (in 288 reviews)

• It's an overall great company with tons of great benefits (in 241 reviews)

Cons
  • Tough work/life balance which lead to high turnover (in 224 reviews)

• No work/life balance, in the 18 months I worked there was unable to get a day off (in 49 reviews)

1. "Liberty Mutual Insurance IT Early Talent Internship"

Current Intern - IT Business Operations in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Intern - IT Business Operations in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I was with a really awesome team! Not sure if every other intern's team was this great, but I had a great experience. Nice laid-back, productive people. Not annoying let you get your work done. Good pay. Good days off.

Cons

Not many cons to be honest. Great experience at least for me.

2. "Poor Strategy from upper management"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good bonus structure, and retirement options.

Cons

Poor culture, low developer ability, drive, and strange restructuring strategies

Advice to Management

Don't hire people in one location and tell them they need to move to another in the same week.

"Generally great company except for healthcare benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Great people, great working flexibility and work/life balance (at least in IT - can't speak for the markets), determined to be cutting edge in IT

Cons

Health insurance offerings have gone from top notch to bottom of the barrel; certain areas seem to have difficulty supporting career growth for women; limited management opportunities in IT due to organizational changes

Advice to Management

Bring back great health insurance, do a better job of supporting career growth for women in all areas of the organization

4. "Good Company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and competitive pay. Lots of recognition for those who go above and beyond. Management cares about all employees.

Cons

Due to a multitude of factors, our health insurance plans have become more expensive and don't cover as much. They have also significantly decreased the pension and set the 401k match to a fixed amount (used to have a discretionary match based on company performance).

Advice to Management

Review health plan and see if we can get better coverage. I know of friends who work for smaller companies and get 100% coverage after their deductible.

Mar 14, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thanks for the kind words. We're so glad to hear you are satisfied overall! We also appreciated the feedback on benefits. Your constructive feedback helps us to improve the employee experience.

"Work"

Current Employee - Network Analyst in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Network Analyst in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

many learning opportunities in the IT world. Good pay and Good time off

Cons

Information is not freely shared from management to workers. There seems to be a disconnect.

Advice to Management

share info

Mar 14, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thanks for taking a few minutes to post a review. We’re glad to know your time with us has been positive! We appreciate your input on communication. We continue working to improve the way information ... More

"Great Workplace Flexibility"

Current Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Liberty Mutual provides ample opportunity across the organization to help you grow your career. The workplace flexibility and work/life balance are two of the best reasons to check this Company out!

Cons

Because of Liberty being such a large organization, the bureaucracy causes incredible slowdown when making decisions. It can be very slow moving at times.

7. "Good place to start!"

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance, benefits, managers that really care about you

Cons

Some of the technology is reaaaalllyyy old (Cobal...)

Advice to Management

Tinker time!

Feb 6, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thanks for sharing your review. We believe in empowering employees to be physically, emotionally and financially healthy. We continually invest in technology to improve our customer and user ... More

"Truly a great, caring company with a focus on both customers' and employees' happiness and well-being"

Current Employee - NCO NOC DATA TEAM MANAGER in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - NCO NOC DATA TEAM MANAGER in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Customer-driven work provides depth of meaning to work
    Flexible work schedules and integrated reward systems show great appreciation to employees
    Earned time and time off is actually used and is generous
    In fact, generous is the right word for Liberty Mutual both to its policy holders and employees.

Cons

Honestly, I'd be stretching it to say that there are any true negatives. Some managers may be less sympathetic than others but the training they receive focuses on employee experience and development so that's on them.

Advice to Management

Management at Liberty Mutual is generally very high quality and caring as a group. I have no great advice to offer other.

Jan 24, 2017 – Chief Talent and Enterprise Services Officer

Thanks for taking the time to post such a thoughtful review. I’m glad to know your time at Liberty has been positive!

"Great employees, challenging executives"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very engaged and focus from Directors to front line. Many people have been there for eons and love it! Big changes coming in the IT world for next 2 years or so.

Cons

Execs rarely engage with anyone other than their direct reports. If someone has a door on their office, its usually closed. Communication is by written word, not face to face. Meetings get rescheduled constantly - lack of respect? or just rude?

Advice to Management

Open your doors, engage with the people directly and experience their world. Seek to truly gain the trust of your team(s) with open and honest, two-way communications.

10. "Getting better for millenials"

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been at Liberty for 6 months now as a developer. I can say that they are definitely investing in Liberty's IT department, ramping up all sorts of modern web technologies such as React and Atlassian products. We work in the Agile methodology which is the modern web dev workflow. I'm hearing that if you stick with it then the salary is definitely competitive.

Cons

I'd just say that while the IT department is ramping up funding, they still have a ways to go with offering the type of workplace that millenials will want to stick to. And since it is such a large company, it takes a while to change some things like IT.

Advice to Management

Trust the IT department and empower them to do all they can. Make the entry level IT employees feel a little more useful and let them stick together for a few months.

Jan 17, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Tech is obviously an area of focus for our company, so your feedback here is appreciated. We're invested in developing the incredibly talented people who work at Liberty. Glad that's been your ... More

Showing 81 of 3,066 reviews