Liberty Mutual Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long
David H. Long

Pros
  • They are concerned about work/life balance (in 258 reviews)

• It's an overall great company with tons of great benefits (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Tough work/life balance which lead to high turnover (in 211 reviews)

• The culture at Liberty is competitive and there is no work life balance (in 43 reviews)

"Ok Company, Would Prefer to Work for GEICO"

Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Diversity
    -Inclusion
    -Pension
    -Corporate Credit Card to cover expenses while traveling which was helpful so your not fronting the money.
    -Opportunities for advancement seem plenty.

Cons

-Pay, below standard pay in auto adjuster area. Would absolutely NOT allow any negotiation and started at lowest scale which really makes me like the job much less now and not providing my fullest focus to it and really just doing the bare minimum to get by since I believe I am getting below standard pay than others in the field.
    -Health Insurance will lose PPO in 2018 and move toward high deductible health savings nonsense.

Advice to Management

Less Bureaucracy, allow negotiation on salary. If an employee isn't comfortable enough with salary than that employee isn't going to be fully dedicated to the role and constantly looking for something else.

"Nice place to work as long as you know someone in management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life balance
    Salary
    that's about it

Cons

Who you know not what you know

Advice to Management

The Buddy Buddy system is not a good way to promote your so called Values.

"Stressful"

Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary offered encouraged job acceptance.

Cons

Stressful timelines which you have no control of.

Advice to Management

Hire more people.

Mar 14, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

We value our employees and strive to provide appropriate work/life balance. We're sorry to hear about your situation. Your feedback helps make sure we address work distribution issues.

5. "Analyst"

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

This company has good benefits

Cons

This company has an issue with micro management

Advice to Management

None

Mar 14, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Hi there, while we work hard to provide employees with the best work environment, we are always looking for opportunities to improve. Thank you for sharing honest feedback with us.

"White Collar Sweatshop.: You are nothing more than a number."

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Plano, TX

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Paid training for PC license
    - Benefits
    - Steady pay
    - Free t-shirt, plastic cups
    - Rewarded with $10 gift cards that are tough to redeem

Cons

- Treated like a machine. Tethered to your desk like a factory farm animal. Extreme pressure to perform within many metric guidelines.

- Many applicants are unaware that Customer Service Representative position is actually a sales job. Reps are held accountable if sales agents fail to follow up on leads and close them. You can lose your job because someone else does not do their's. Inadequate training given to help a Rep figure out the products or how to get a customer's permission for a lead.

- They don't tell potential hires that if they don't pass the licensing test that they will not be hired.

- Subpar training led by agents from local sales offices do not have the expertise to train adequately for a call center environment. Good luck navigating a 10,000 page web site, satisfy the customer and follow correct procedures in five minutes or less. I learned everything from other Reps in the few spare moments available.

- Point system punishes unexpected absences like a parent with sick children. At 7, you can't get promoted. At 9, you are terminated. This policy is very unfair to working parents. Points take 365 days to fall off.

- You cannot look at your phone for most of the day meaning if a family emergency pops up, no one can reach you. Supervisors have their cell phones out frequently which is poor leadership.

- Limited bathroom breaks. "Train your bladder".

- Extreme expectations cause many to burn out. The metrics are impossible to maintain perfectly and give the "world class" customer service they expect.

Reps are expected to take calls over rate increases and if the customer is still angry and writes a bad review, it goes on the Rep's record no matter what. This is incredibly demoralizing to take a hit for reviews about issues beyond your control like claims and Roadside Assistance.

- Intense micromanagement: Every second of the Rep's day is accounted for. You will clock in and out all day. Puzzling that breaks are off the clock.

I left because of a supervisor who questioned a bathroom break. My numbers exceeded expectation, too.

Advice to Management

Treat college educated people who work hard with some dignity. Back off of the insane metrics and let Reps take care of the customer rather than speeding through calls to please the numbers. You promote the Reps who focus only on metrics which is promoting habits like blowing off tasks or following through for the policy holder.

You say you want Reps to have integrity and compassion but where is the integrity from the company when parents are fired for having sick children or family emergencies? Many parents are afraid to bid for promotions as they might be assigned a schedule that would make it impossible to care for their children. Where is the compassion for your Reps?

If you want to hand out rewards for good work, why not give Reps an extra break? Or shave off a 1/2 point if employee has a doctor's note?!

Mar 14, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

We're sorry to read about your experience. If you feel you've observed unfair behavior, you may want to call our Compliance Helpline for guidance. Feedback helps us to improve, so thank you for ... More

"Stay away!"

Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Plano, TX

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a job, nothing special

Cons

Pay. They want you to do a lot of things for no pay. Managers play favorites. No room for advancement

Advice to Management

Take time to listen to your employees and not lie.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Commission on new business is good

Cons

Company competes with agents for leads

Advice to Management

Press upper management for a direction the company is looking to go. No target on customers they are looking for.

"Company sucks! Run Fast!!!"

Pros

flexible schedules
    Optional 30 min or hour lunch

Cons

Favoritism was at an all time high! If you are the managers pet, then they love you. If you are not they find the smallest things to pick at with you. Medical insurance is horrible. When you get hired, they give you a job title but you actually end up doing work that you are not qualified to do. No growth! No training!

Feb 6, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

10. "Bad internship"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern

Pros

I honestly cannot think of any pros

Cons

The work was uninteresting and the company culture was so bad. Nobody seemed interested in you as a person and there was this idea that everyone should only work while they are on the clock. Even in passing, people wouldn't say "hello" creating a sense that nobody really wanted to be there.

"claims adjuster"

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Warrenville, IL
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in Warrenville, IL

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food and Benefits and
    More free food

Cons

HR & management discrimates against Blacks. You have no voice in the co. If you speak up you get bad reviews, low ratings, overlooked for promotions & they will cherry pick audits to fire you. They throw claims at bodies. They don't care if you are trained unless you are a favorite. They lie to you. Inventory is out of control. Constant turnover of tenored employees. Overworked and underpaid. You can't do this job in 7.5 hours. They lie about that. People act very childish so you feel like you are working in a sandbox. HR does not care. Their main job is to protect the company and to find out if you have enough info to sue them.

Advice to Management

Stop stereotyping and hating Black people. Stop using Blacks as pawns to pit against one another. That's not teamwork. How can you use Blacks in you commercials to promote your products yet allow them to be discrimated against in the workplace. The time and effort you put into hating people you don't like; you can use to properly train your employees. Be honest with employees. Don't tell us you want to hear what we have to say when what you really mean is that you just want us to say what you want to hear.

Showing 266 of 2,854 reviews