Liberty Mutual Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long
David H. Long
1,158 Ratings

2,735 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • They are concerned about work/life balance (in 269 reviews)

• Good benefits and competitive pay (in 243 reviews)

Cons
  • Tough work/life balance which lead to high turnover (in 215 reviews)

• The culture at Liberty is competitive and there is no work life balance (in 45 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent Company With Great Work Life Balance"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Irving, TX

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Management - They actually cared for their employees.
    The Pay - You received performance raises and bumps with positions, but the pay was still lower than average.
    Morale - Great!!!

Cons

Upward Mobility - Several positions were lateral moves or there wasn't a lot of opportunity.

Advice to Management

With the new center, there should be an opportunity for more positions and employee pay.

Liberty Mutual Insurance Response

Apr 6, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thanks for taking a few minutes to post a review. We’re glad to know your time at Liberty was positive and that you'd recommend us! We appreciate reading your thoughts on compensation. The input is ... More

"Sexism and age discrimination run rampant...."

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Portsmouth, NH

Pros

There is lots of Vacation Time, however, some managers will not let you take any sick time.

Cons

Discrimination against younger, bright, female employees. Overall, I was grossly underpaid compared to my peers and male-counterparts. Despite the fact that I completed work of the same level of difficulty of my peers, they were paid twice as much as me. And, my computer skills were highly advanced compared to many of my peers. The admin who continually made error after error was promoted and earned more than I as a Business Analyst. Also, I was not given a promotion the entire time I was there -- 4 years.

Advice to Management

Eliminate sexism and age discrimination in the work force.

"Responsibility? More like IRResponsibility"

Pros

Flexible in Time off. Training.

Cons

Many times, roles are production based when they should be "customer based."

Advice to Management

I think many others have expressed my opinions on this matter, but I feel that for a company that has produced its national slogan to be relied on as the "RESPONSIBLE" company, then they should do so with their employees. I have known for OVER 2 months that there is some type of restructuring, but NO ONE from senior management has told any of the lower employees (including my direct manager) if we will have jobs. This is also after layoffs of some of my coworkers in different departments in my unit. Therefore, productivity in most of the departments is slacking. The way that management has treated their employees is completely irresponsible. I used to really enjoy working for Liberty Mutual, but now I'm almost ashamed to call them my employer.

"LMIC- no place to be"

Former Employee - Senior Trial Attorney in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Trial Attorney in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

The pay check arrives on time.

Cons

poor management-top on down- senior management worships only their balance sheet-pigs at the top. record profits and more and more office downsizing. Legal department devolved from ethical representation of Liberty insureds, to no representation. no staff, no secretaries, no help-just ever increasing case loads. Liberty has no concept of RESPONSIBILITY, other than as a slick marketing gimmick.

Advice to Management

senior management has no respect for employees.

"A company destined for failure."

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

Pros

If you really need a job and have NO other options.

Cons

Very cocky air of superiority demonstrated by management as well as some Sales Representatives. Poor management decisions and restructure is just the beginning of the end.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They are an asset, not a liability as you have recently demonstrated by your massive layoff.

"Liberty Mutual/Ohio Casualty promotes unfair working environments."

Former Employee - Insurance Assistant. in Hamilton, OH
    Former Employee - Insurance Assistant. in Hamilton, OH

Pros

Salary. The pay was decent.

Cons

Poor training - They do not train correctly in order for a new employee to perform the job as it should be.

Poor Management - They are clueless when it comes to providing the tools for successful completion of jobs.

Poor working conditions - They do not promote equal opportunity and training for all employees.

Poor communication between management and employees - They do not want to take the time and listen to employee concerns.

Lack of knowledge in what goes on in their own office - Management at the Hamilton, Ohio branch has no clue what goes in at their own office.

Advice to Management

Actually give detailed training on all aspects of the job.
    Learn to communicate better with employees.
    Improve working conditions and improve on giving all employees equal opportunity.

"SLACKERS ARE AWARDED / HARD WORK, NOT SO MUCH!!!!!!!"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Claims Representative in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Claims Representative in Tampa, FL

Pros

Everyone needs to get a paycheck.

Cons

It depends who you are on how you are treated. If you have family members in management positions you will do just fine. If you want to get by with hard work & dedication that is a different matter. This company seems to award the slackers and punish the hard workers. If you enjoyed Middle School with all the clicks, and want to follow the popular group no matter what they do or say......you will love working at Liberty Mutual. If you have a mind of your own and are uncomfortable treating coworkers badly I would suggest that you work somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and see what really goes on in the office. The gossiping, and back stabbing should not be tolerated. Hold all your employees accountable for their actions. It is not a sewing circle, or popularity contest and all the trash talk should not be allowed.

"Management is spineless and incompetent. God help you if you become icky."

Current Employee - Project Manager I/S in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Project Manager I/S in Dover, NH

Pros

Paycheck. A few good people

Cons

No leadership. No competent management. Spineless. Management behaves like middle school lunch. Some people get rewarded and a pass no mater what the disaster. Others can not be successful no matter what. Successes are discounted because they are icky. Once you are icky you can never overcome it.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes. Grow a spine. Grow up.

"Senior management needs to work the desk before implementing a new program for their adjusters."

Current Employee - Senior Customer Claims Representative in Westborough, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Claims Representative in Westborough, MA

Pros

IT is a job during some really tuff times other wise half the office would had been gone by now.

Cons

Upper Management implement the lean proces of handling a claim, but the lost the focus on their employees. It is sad to say that the Employees don't matter, if they left them alone and run their desk the way they wanted to, then the work would get done. Now it is all micro management, people are working at a table not a cubical and they are getting chest pains for having a piece of paper on the desk.

Advice to Management

Sit at the desk and try to handle the claim the way you want your people to do it. I bet you can't

"Liberty Mutual practices blatant age discrimination, and doesn't care"

Current Employee - Loss Prevention in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention in Boston, MA

Pros

There aren't any anymore. It used to be a fairly stable employer, but not anymore. Management just plain sucks, and that's putting it mildly. If you don't mind working for unscrupulous, unethical, law-breaking people, this is your company.

Cons

They just laid off almost 150 loss prevention employees, with an average age of about 52, and with over 20 years average experience. They kept all the young, inexperienced kids. If you are of retirement age (55 plus) chances are you are being laid off.

Advice to Management

Obey the law against age discrimination, be fair with your employees, and don't fire employees with over 30 years experience just because they are of retirement age.

Showing 2,735 of 2,934 reviews