Liberty Mutual Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3,222 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Death marches for projects are common and work life balance can be tricky (in 239 reviews)

• No work/life balance, in the 18 months I worked there was unable to get a day off (in 51 reviews)

"great company but multiple restructures of the organization causing layoffs."

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

high salaries good benefits profit sharing and tuition reimbursement. 401k and pension plan. pro employee

Cons

it can be a stressful environment and not a straight 9-5 job. too many systems after acquisitions and their consolidation is slow. innovation is not their strong suit. usually not the company leading with new technology or new ways of doing things. wasted tons of money implementing lean principles only to discontinue the practice. people took risks to become lean coaches only to be laid off. "they are the best of the best" but have not plan to integrate them back to the business.

Advice to Management

you really need to monitor your middle management. focus is on front line and frontline management. go out and process walk your middle management that are in different offices often. live by your principles and ensure all are treated with dignity and respect. you have great managers but you also have bad and often times corrupt managers. inappropriate relationships have occurred and are simply overlooked. that's where your variability is. also, put your money where your mouth is and have a plan to retain top talent. you lose good people to the restructures because it's a struggle to transfer between departments. it's called transferable skills. anyone can learn processes and systems.

"One of the best companies I've worked for to date!"

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has lots of opportunity for growth, great benefits package, good pay, overtime opportunities, annual raises and bonuses. They also promote a healthy work/life balance with new changes they've implemented such as working from home a couple times a week and flexible/variable shifts. Hard work is recognized, and they want to help you succeed and advance your career. You really get a sense that you are working for a company that cares about you.

Cons

I don't really have anything negative to say. I mean, sure...there are always things that can be improved upon. But the company is really good at listening to employee feedback and implementing changes as a result. So I really can't complain.

Nov 2, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thank you for your feedback here! We're happy you've been satisfied with your experience at Liberty Mutual, and we look forward to continuing to invest in you!

3. "Sales Representative"

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Great company to work for! Great benefits, great management.

Cons

Tough insurance market, but products are improving.

Jan 18, 2018 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thanks so much for your review! We're invested in developing the incredibly talented people who work at Liberty Mutual. Glad that's been your experience!

"Great Company driven by integrity"

Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Management places a lot of emphasis on integrity. Everyone, including leadership is easily accessible. The pay scale is above average.

Cons

Promotions are sometimes driven by personal relationships and not based on merit. Still a lot of work to do on diversity, major business leaders are all white Caucasian men. A long way to go to diversify the leadership ranks for women and people of color.

Advice to Management

Invest more to develop future potential leaders who are people of color and promote more women.

5. "Fantastic Company!"

Current Employee - ESales in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - ESales in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Liberty is by far the best company I’ve worked for. They really do care about their employees and their work-life balance. The pay is the best I’ve seen in the industry. They also offer phenomenal benefits such as health, vision, dental, life, disability, 401k match, tuition reimbursement and a company paid pension plan. The company spends a lot of time and resources making sure each new hires properly trained and set up for success.

Cons

No cons at this time.

Jan 18, 2018 – Talent and Enterprise Services

It's great to hear that our employees feel confident and valued. Thanks for sharing!

6. "Liberty Mutual Benefits"

Former Employee - Manager II CMC
    Former Employee - Manager II CMC

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Liberty has a strong, well earned, reputation and is respected by it's customers and the broker community.

The company has a strong focus on giving back to the community with it's Serve with Liberty (employee annual volunteer service with thousands of charities around the world) and Give with liberty (employees maintaining millions of dollar to thousands of charities around the world with a 50% company match).

In addition, employee development is key to the culture of the company with extensive internal training programs and a focus on development from within.

Liberty's senior leadership is genuine and approachable.

Three is currently a hiring push in process so there are opportunities to be had.

Cons

Leadership reinforces transparency in communications, however, it takes too long for change to be communicated with front line staff, creating uncertainty.

Need to improve consistency in technology across the company. Some business groups have current, top line technology while others are operating on old out dates systems and phones. Need a uniform technology focus across all of it's businesses.

Jan 18, 2018 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thanks so much for your review, we're glad to hear your experience was positive overall. We continually invest in technology to improve our customer and user experiences as we evolve in a dynamic... More

"Program Manager - Marketing"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. Excellent salary, vacation and parental leave.

Cons

Massive company with difficulty providing transparency to employees regarding the goals and motives behind the company's actions.

Jan 18, 2018 – Talent and Enterprise Services

"Overall Great, Going Through Change"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance, Forward Thinking, Transitioning to Agile Methods, Financially Healthy, Decent Benefits, Diversity in Employees

Cons

Slow Reaction at Times, Process Struggles, Transition Struggles, Morale Lower Currently

Advice to Management

Stay the course on full transition to agile but also keep in mind allowing for flexibility, especially on work locations, to ensure great talent can be saved and prosper.

"Liberty Mutual 2017"

Former Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

At the corporate level, leadership is actively promoting cutting edge tools and employee empowerment.

Cons

Some business units are working to overcome group think, embrace employee empowerment and implement innovation.

Advice to Management

Combat group think in some divisions by continuing to increase employee empowerment and transparency around decision making. Increase management credibility by admitting past mistakes and acknowledging the lessons learned.

Jan 18, 2018 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thanks for taking a few minutes to post a review. We’re glad to know your time at Liberty Mutual was positive!

10. "Inside sales representative"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Money is good but it's by the luck of the draw

Cons

Management - bottlenecks with growth

Advice to Management

Treat people how they perform not just by the 3rd grade rule book

Showing 3,222 of 3,484 reviews