Liberty Mutual Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

3,018 reviews

Full-timePart-time

3,018 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They are concerned about work/life balance (in 307 reviews)

• It's an overall great company with tons of great benefits (in 254 reviews)

Cons
  • Biggest growth opportunity would be the work life balance associated with positions in the Direct Response Center (in 231 reviews)

• No work/life balance, in the 18 months I worked there was unable to get a day off (in 51 reviews)

"Used to be Great - Never Ending Reorganization is Killing Morale and Motivation"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart people, challenging work, flexible work schedules, work at home, great co-workers, some opportunity for movement amongst departments, some managers are great.

Cons

The current environment of never-ending reorganization has been affecting many for over a year resulting in low morale, minimal productivity, and lack of confidence in the company. No one knows who is responsible for anything so either too many people are involved OR not the right people. Employees are in constant fear that they are going to be laid off.

Advice to Management

Make a final decision on the organization and get it DONE. Leave it in place long enough to give it a chance to work. Stop assuming that there is always a better/perfect organization which will make the company better. It is constant, too frequent change which is causing efficiency issues.

"Challenging Times"

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Outstanding pay across job categories

Cons

Fear of job loss now dominates a Company that was once a great place to work.
    Senior management is executing confusing reorgs that are greatly impacting culture and morale, belying the adage that 'culture is the single most important factor in determining success.'

Advice to Management

We hope Management stops the trend of turning former fans into future critics. We believe in the mission and sincerely all want this Company to succeed for our employees and policyholders alike...

"Excellent Culture"

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Liberty's corporate culture is it's greatest asset as an employer. They make constant efforts to find solutions to the work-life needs of its diverse workforce.

Cons

There sometimes is a lack of transparency regarding some of the decisions made by senior and middle management. Also, working in an insurance company necessarily entails a lot of red tape.

Advice to Management

Communicate corporate goals in a more succinct manner, and engage middle managers to help distribute the messages throughout the organization.

4. "Advanced analytics"

Former Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People in PI are energetic, strategic. Good management style, in general. Good work life balance. Have pension plan in addition to 401k.

Cons

Actuary advanced way ahead of other tracks, in almost all aspects. Health insurance and maternity leave policy are below expectations.

Advice to Management

Too many hierarchy; HR and IT block the road more often than help.

Sep 20, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thank you for your review. While we work hard to provide employees with the best work environment, we are always looking for opportunities to improve. Honest feedback like yours helps us to do that... More

5. "Corporate Development Program"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great visibility into how the company works; Lots of exposure to senior leaders and a formal mentorship program; Responsibility right away

Cons

Steep learning curve and the program requires a formal interview process upon program completion.

Advice to Management

More transparency.

"Look elsewhere"

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Benefits are above average for the position.

Cons

Upper management need to communicate more.

Sep 20, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

We appreciate you spending some time writing down your thoughts. We work hard to provide an open, positive work environment that employees can be proud of. We always welcome opportunities for... More

7. "Billing Specialist"

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

They have a great working environment and it's very difficult to ask for more. The people are wonderful and I'm glad to have been there.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say at all. I supposed that if I'm answering this in the sense of what I didn't like about the job or the company then I've got nothing at all.

Advice to Management

No advice. Just appreciation and respect and regardless of what happens moving forward my time with Liberty Mutual will prove to be nothing but beneficial to me.

Sep 20, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thanks for taking a few minutes to post a review. We’re glad to know your time at Liberty Mutual was positive.

8. "A company where you could spend an entire career"

Current Employee - Senior Product Owner in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Owner in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Workplace flexibility, job mobility, pay, benefits

Cons

Highly regulated industry with little room for innovation, slow mover

Sep 20, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thanks for sharing your review. We believe in empowering employees to be physically, emotionally and financially healthy. We're glad to hear you're satisfied with the rewards packages we have to... More

9. "Analyst Development Program"

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Broad areas of interest covered.

Cons

Large company, lost in the masses.

Sep 6, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thank you for your feedback. We hope you were satisfied with your time in the program.

"Too big for their own good"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Salary, bonus plan, health benefits, 401k plan, pay for performance, Flexible Schedule, some opportunities to work remotely.

Cons

Work loads impact poor work- life balance, poor middle management with lack of leadership skills. Upper leadership doesn't walk the talk.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They are the ones closest to your customers and actually doing the work. Demonstrate your core values at all levels- treat people with dignity and respect.

Sep 20, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. So sorry to read that you wouldn't recommend us at this point. We hope we can turn that around. Leadership Effectiveness is a key objective and we... More

Showing 3,018 of 3,248 reviews