Liberty Mutual Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 23, 2017
2,658 reviews

Full-time Part-time

2,658 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • They are concerned about work/life balance (in 258 reviews)

• It's an overall great company with tons of great benefits (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Tough work/life balance which lead to high turnover (in 211 reviews)

• The culture at Liberty is competitive and there is no work life balance (in 43 reviews)

1. "Work"

Current Employee - Network Analyst in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Network Analyst in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

many learning opportunities in the IT world. Good pay and Good time off

Cons

Information is not freely shared from management to workers. There seems to be a disconnect.

Advice to Management

share info

Mar 14, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thanks for taking a few minutes to post a review. We’re glad to know your time with us has been positive! We appreciate your input on communication. We continue working to improve the way information ... More

2. "Extensive periods of realignment"

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great self-directed tech team environment

Cons

Frequent and significant realignment limit the ability to build on accomplishments

Mar 14, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thanks for this feedback! Happy to hear you like your team environment. That's exactly what we love to hear.

"Claims Analyst"

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Amazing work life balance/paid time off. You accrue 1.5 days of FTO (which can be used as vacation or sick days) per month until you hit 5 years (then you accrue 2 per month). You can carry 20 FTO days over to the next year. On top of that you are givien 7 company holidays that are paid and 4 personal holidays that don't carry over but can be used as vacation/sick days as well.
    Most people can work from home once a week after they have been with the company for 6 months which is amazing. If you have an appointment or fam emergency its possibly to work from home even if its not your set day.
    Hours are typical 9-5 or 8-4:15, and you are not expected to stay late.

Great company culture and management really works with you to succeed.

Cons

Work can be overwhelming sometimes. Certain teams get more cases/assignments assigned than they are supposed to. It can be overwhelming at times and time management is key.
    Sometimes it feels like managers can act shady/ not super transparent.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with changes and hire enough people to not have to over work others.

"Senior Claims Resolution Representative"

Former Employee - Claims Representative
    Former Employee - Claims Representative

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you do your job, you are rewarded.

Cons

Managers are too busy keeping their bosses happy, and do not have enough time for their team.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to allow lower management to do their job.

6. "The last company you will work at"

Current Employee - Bodily Injury Claims in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Bodily Injury Claims in Irving, TX

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Irving Bodily Injury Rocks! You truly feel like you are part of a family. The culture is fantastic. They care are about their employees. Management values us and our thoughts.

Cons

There really aren't any cons. The company is truly a global company and it can be difficult to find what job opportunities there are outside the US.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I love my job! Irving is the best office.

Mar 14, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

It's great to hear that our employees feel confident and valued. Thanks for sharing!

7. "Insurance Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Health insurance, dental insurance, generous time off, paid holidays, and the pay is above average for the area,

Cons

Inexperienced leadership lacking interpersonal skills or understanding of how to do the work; training and tools to do the job are not provided; employee morale is very low; high turn over rate annually, which is why they are always hiring; unrealistic job performance expectations; most paralegals have over 500 files; quantity with poor quality is encouraged; offices are poorly heated, people wear blankets, gloves, and hats to stay warm year round; bathrooms and break rooms lack hygiene; people eat at their desks and skip breaks due to work flow; excrement visible in the bathroom drains; co-workers steal food from each other; high school clique mentality among long term staff; long term staff stay because the pay rate and benefits are higher than the local average; it's an angry, miserable mix of personalities all around.

Advice to Management

Hire qualified leaders that can do the work and train the staff. Your current leadership complains to the staff to gain sympathy because they don't understand the work or how to train others and will sabotage co-workers to cover up their insecurity. It says a lot about a company when low level leadership speaks negatively about all aspects of their jobs. You should hire some onsite HR staff at this location, otherwise it will continue to be a revolving door of chaos that promotes profits over a job well done.

Mar 14, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

We're sorry to read about your experience. We work hard to provide an open, positive work environment that employees can be proud of. We sincerely welcome opportunities for improvement and we will ... More

"Claims"

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Solid pay, benefits, and co-workers

Cons

advancement and can get political at times.

Mar 14, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thank you for your feedback here! We're happy you've been satisfied with your experience at Liberty, and we look forward to continuing to invest in you!

"actuarial analyst"

Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

fairly paid,work life balance,flexible working hour

Cons

strict exam policy,high peer pressure,

Mar 14, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. So sorry to read that you wouldn't recommend us at this point. We hope we can turn that around.

"sales rep"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

there are no such things

Cons

Low pay, no opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Management

be cool

Mar 14, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

We appreciate your review, but we're sorry to see that you wouldn't recommend us. We'd like to hear more about how we could have made your employee experience satisfactory.

"Ok Company, Would Prefer to Work for GEICO"

Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Diversity
    -Inclusion
    -Pension
    -Corporate Credit Card to cover expenses while traveling which was helpful so your not fronting the money.
    -Opportunities for advancement seem plenty.

Cons

-Pay, below standard pay in auto adjuster area. Would absolutely NOT allow any negotiation and started at lowest scale which really makes me like the job much less now and not providing my fullest focus to it and really just doing the bare minimum to get by since I believe I am getting below standard pay than others in the field.
    -Health Insurance will lose PPO in 2018 and move toward high deductible health savings nonsense.

Advice to Management

Less Bureaucracy, allow negotiation on salary. If an employee isn't comfortable enough with salary than that employee isn't going to be fully dedicated to the role and constantly looking for something else.

Showing 2,658 of 2,847 reviews