Liberty Mutual Insurance Reviews in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

3.7
Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long
David H. Long

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They are concerned about work/life balance (in 294 reviews)

• It's an overall great company with tons of great benefits (in 243 reviews)

Cons
  • Biggest growth opportunity would be the work life balance associated with positions in the Direct Response Center (in 225 reviews)

• No work/life balance, in the 18 months I worked there was unable to get a day off (in 49 reviews)

1. "Comfortable place to work"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Steady employment and nice people

Cons

Slow to change and way too much tenure

Advice to Management

Embrace change. LMS was a great start. Now let's "walk the walk."

Jun 14, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thanks so much for your review! Your honest feedback is appreciated. We're invested in developing the incredibly talented people who work at Liberty. Glad that's been your experience!

"The good, the bad and the mysteries that are wrapped in enigmas"

Former Employee - Project Person in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Project Person in Seattle, WA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary was competitive, good work/life balance

Cons

The people were really tough. Many long time employees (30+ years) that were set in their ways and resisted change at every opportunity. I was not part of my boss' inner circle, and thus I never got promoted in 4 years, or had a significant salary adjustment neither. I didn't have a champion or mentor and that was very unfortunate. Who gets promoted and why people keep receiving performance awards is a mystery wrapped in an enigma. But do trust me, it was not necessarily for getting the job done on time, schedule, or budget. I came with a very significant toolkit that included analytics, process improvement, lean and six sigma, and it was severely frowned upon if I wanted to leverage any of those tools. My job was to manage projects, period. No opportunity or space to provide added value, at least in my case.

Advice to Management

Too many knee jerk reactions to try to catch up with more technologically sophisticated insurance companies. Making significant shifts in strategy and vision just to revert back a couple of months later because you went too far, erodes confidence from the staff.

Jul 5, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. So sorry to read that you wouldn't recommend us at this point. We hope we can turn that around. Leadership Effectiveness is a key objective and we... More

"Program Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Liberty is growing and is financially very strong.
    They are transitioning their entire IT organization to Agile / Scrum
    Focus on increasing customer experience with clear measures of effectiveness

Cons

Management has limited experience managing an Agile organization
    IT is being reorganized - morale is down

Advice to Management

Ensure that you have mapped out the end game for specific areas such as Training & Communication

4. "Help Desk Agent"

Former Contractor - Help Desk Technician in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Help Desk Technician in Seattle, WA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

No cap on pay raises, great benefits if you're full time. Scheduling will work with you to find the best start-finish times.

Cons

Contractors are completely segregated from the rest of the employees. They do not and will not advise or performance. You are completely left out to dry and treading water. Management structure is unclear. Spent their time hiring unqualified individuals just because they spoke another language.

Advice to Management

Treat contractors like they are apart of the team. Invest more time in your qualified contractors and allow more FTE opportunities for outsiders.

"Easy place to work"

Current Employee - Associate Software Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Associate Software Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance
    Benefits
    Easy work
    Nice Managers
    Flexible work arrangements

Cons

Hard to sand out
    Not treated as individual
    Merit base increases are very scheduled

Advice to Management

Overall a good company. Definitely headed in the right direction just hard for big company to pivot (technically speaking). At times I feel like I am just another employee and not seen for what value I bring to the company.

May 1, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thanks so much for your review! We're invested in developing the incredibly talented people who work at Liberty. We hope that continues to be your experience.

6. "Good Place to Start a Career"

Current Employee - Product Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Product Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Less than a year)

Pros

Very supportive of career and self development

Cons

Some things are slow due to large structure of company

"Looking for some energy"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as a contractor

Pros

Working at Liberty Mutual for 6 months was a nice working experience. It was defined by a very predictable work flow which is in stark contrast to the technology companies I have worked at. This might appeal to some people.

The company is very involved in raising awareness and funds for many charitable and needy organizations.
    Encourages employees to contribute new ideas and suggestions on how to improve processes, customer experiences, and workplace innovations.

Cons

While I was there, it appeared that there were some communication problems between senior executives.

My biggest issue while working there was the lack of communication between members of the team I was on. Early on, I attributed some of that to my being in a short term contract role. But as months went by, it became apparent that everyone clocked in at 8:30, quietly did their work and clocked out at 4:00. There was no energy and very little daily interaction amongst team members.

Advice to Management

Encourage a more dynamic work environment for the employees.

8. "Great company with even better benefits!"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The company cares about it's employees.
    - Lots of benefits and very good compensation.
    - Lots of paid time off.

Cons

- Corporate environment.
    - Entry-level employees often overlooked in their first role(s).

9. "Flexible Company with High Expectations"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work arrangements and hours show growth over the years because when I started 5 years ago this was not much of an option.

Cons

Several reorganizations make consistency sometimes difficult but you find a way to succeed because you believe in the company

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent as much as you can. No one likes a black box. I appreciate the efforts made here.

Apr 21, 2017 – Chief Talent and Enterprise Services Officer

It’s so good to hear that you’re happy with our flexible work efforts. We’re constantly working to ensure our employees are able to attend to their needs both in and out of the workplace. Your honest... More

10. "Just starting, but wanted to provide initial impressions"

Current Intern - Actuarial Intern in Seattle, WA
    Current Intern - Actuarial Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are really great. Very supportive environment for taking necessary exams.

Cons

Nothing strikes me as a negative. There is pressure that comes with the job, but that is with any internship or actuarial position.

Showing 102 of 3,112 reviews