Liberty Mutual Insurance Senior Underwriter Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 22, 2019

3.6
Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long
David H. Long
  1. "Great for your career"

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Vacation time, annual bonus, and career opportunities are better than any other competitor that I know of. Work from home is a huge plus.

Cons

Seems a lot of strategic decisions are pushed down on us with little feedback.

Advice to Management

Seek feedback from the frontline.

Liberty Mutual Insurance2019-07-23

"Liberty Mutual review"

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Boston, MA

Pros

Competitive salary and Good benefits overall

Cons

Not enough opportunity to work remotely. Very rapid pace of change and constantly reorganizing

Liberty Mutual Insurance2019-11-22

"Five plus years experience - overall good but large company mentality gets exhausting"

Former Employee - Senior Underwriter

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Emphasis on Diversity & Inclusion (including diversifying leadership) - HR seems to be making progress on some great initiatives for employees, including recently improved Maternity leave policy. - From a competitive standpoint, the companies resources and scale help in the marketplace - Worked with some great people within my Business Unit but had little involvement with other business units

Cons

- Political environment and a feeling like you have to pay your dues to climb the ladder, which is discouraging to younger, ambitious talent - Things are constantly changing, whether it be corporate structure, technology, benefits, etc. This is typical of a large company so not necessarily a fault of Liberty's but rather the nature of a corporation this large.

Advice to Management

Kudos to management for the investment in D&I, and I hope within a few years here is more diversity reflected in management and leadership rather than just at the individual contributor level. Do more to listen to and obtain feedback from middle level employees that are 'in the trenches' day to day before you make changes or shift strategy; decisions often feel very top down and illogical to 'middle level' employees that are often most impacted by changes.

Liberty Mutual Insurance2019-11-13

"Strong Benefits; Management Issues"

Former Employee - Senior Underwriter

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fair salary and always pleased with benefits. PTO was a little lacking in accrual up to 30 days without the opportunity to purchase additional time off like other large corporations. Before I left I felt there was good work life balance. I liked being able to work from home a few times a week to cut down on commuting. It was easy to work a flex schedule.

Cons

You will not advance unless you exceed your new business goals. It is a dangerous game they play and it'll entice underwriters to game the system to meet their goals. In the same token, it also leaves a big mess to clean up and negatively impacts ability to write the good business. I am convinced that I was in a "dud" territory as far as how employees were treated by a manager including gender discrimination. By the time I got a new manager I was just done with the whole scene. There was not opportunity to advance in this office. I feel things are handed down despite their weekly meetings to give communication. It was more lip service than anything else and a waste of time.

Advice to Management

Encourage true bottom to top, unfiltered communication opportunities to fix modeling to encourage profitable business writings. Ease up on new business goals.

Liberty Mutual Insurance2019-05-28

"Poor work/life balance"

Current Employee - Senior Commercial Underwriter in Plano, TX

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home 2 days per week option.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations, un-proportion of workload - not enough hours on the day to complete the work that is expected of you.

Advice to Management

Listen to your associates, create a more sustainable workload... even if that means hiring more people.

Liberty Mutual Insurance2019-05-23
  6. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter

Pros

Great benefits Work life balance options Stability

Cons

growth can be stagnant some bureaucracy depending of department

Advice to Management

None at this moment

Liberty Mutual Insurance2019-05-07

"Underwriter"

Former Employee - Senior Underwriter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Limited work from home opportunities

Cons

Horrible management from highest levels down.

Advice to Management

Learn what work / life balance means rather than using a term that is hip. Forget huddles; NO ONE likes them, from your lowest level employees to your managers.

Liberty Mutual Insurance2018-08-17

"Low-stress, decent pay, good work-life balance."

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Warrenville, IL

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work-life balance via FTO package and WFH capabilities 2x per week. Absence of micromanagement. Relatively low stress.

Cons

Very PC corporate culture. Frequent company reorganization. Seem to be in process of automating many front-line jobs.

Advice to Management

Overall, this is a great company to work for. Be cognizant of the effect these reorg shifts have on the culture and desire for talent to stay put. Added transparency is appreciated, but number of webcasts/meetings is a bit of an overkill.

Liberty Mutual Insurance2018-07-11

"Too Many Reorgs In Commercial Insurance"

Former Employee - Senior Underwriter in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Many career paths, investments in technology and new processes show a corporate interest in staying relevant in the future, lots of underwriting talent throughout the organization. Some progressive ideas with work-life mgmt.

Cons

Too many reorgs. Agents and employees can't keep up with the changes. Sometimes the changes are good but then everything changes in two years and the prior achievements are lost. The latest commercial insurance reorg, which took 8-9 months to roll-out, was a complete scrambling of the framework laid by the prior major reorg. Speaking for underwriting, in the field we couldn't figure out what in the world mgmt was thinking with the latest changes. not clear what successful competitor we were emulating or what future business model we were preparing for. All that was clear was the stress and uncertainty the field had to endure yet again. I believe the company will remain a strong platform in the long run given the investments in technology and the talent they have but the employees are being put through a painful, and needless IMO, roller coaster ride.

Advice to Management

A year ago I would have said tweaks are needed but don't blow things up. At this point, I think the new Commercial Insurance doesn't quite make sense but yet another reorg would break everyone's spirits. Listen to the field and listen to your agents and brokers.

Liberty Mutual Insurance2017-08-20

"Stay away! A company that was once going somewhere but now not going anymore."

Current Employee - Senior Underwriting Consultant in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It was a good company starting off but now it's degraded itself due to poor emphasis on what's important i.e. building outlandish buildings at the same time exorbitantly cutting Pension, Healthcare, Raises, Bonuses, & middle management positions across the board with department layoffs and off-shoring I.T. jobs overseas or to third party companies who have no understanding of Liberty Mutual's computer systems. Furthermore, Liberty is NOT investing enough capital to upgrade and update their systems, office desks, and etc which hinder's productive goals in completing assignments at the outlandish requirements that management is setting forth for their employees who are understaffed as is.

Cons

Liberty Mutual just recently announced that they will be ending their Pension plan for their current & new employees by 2020 due to cash flow issues, which is ridiculous considering they just finished building a $5 Billion dollar building in Plano, Texas & elsewhere. My opinion, why not use that money to put in the Pension fund that would last decades or even a century instead of lining your own pockets?

Advice to Management

See the value in investing in human capital instead of being parsimonious. Try not to implement a brain drain & talent with your crazy ideas of cutting departments, jobs, and incentives that make people leave. CEO David Long is out of touch. His recent hire to the Commercial Lines Department was a horrible and frankly detrimental decision. Why would you put someone in charge of Commercial Lines when said person has no understanding or background in Commercial Lines??? Was the talent pool so limited or is there something nefarious & nepotistic that's being swept under the rug?

Liberty Mutual Insurance2017-08-14