Liberty Mutual Insurance Software Developer Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 8, 2020

2.9
Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long
David H. Long

"Great place to work in I.T."

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Liberty takes care of their employees and offers a lot of flexibility for I.T. employees. Flexible schedule, casual dress. There are opportunities to advance in your career.

Cons

Since it's a huge company, there's a lot of bureaucracy.

Liberty Mutual Insurance2019-06-13

"Low pay, incompetent management, cost cutting"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work from home, enough but limited PTO, good health benefits, coworkers your age will be competent

Cons

Unfortunately, the people who make business decisions are outdated and are consistently making more layers of management - full of employees who are not even knowledgeable in technology and yet are managing developers?

Advice to Management

Don't wait 6-7 years to make someone a senior software developer. Act like the tech companies we so aspire to become, and pay us our market value. No wonder LM has such a difficult time retaining devs. Those who are still at the company are always being recruited by better companies and know that they're being undervalued. Give better career advancement opportunities to employees before they find them elsewhere.

Liberty Mutual Insurance2020-01-09

"Behind the times"

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Reasonable pay and work life balance (they don’t want to have to pay you for overtime)

Cons

Very conservative and behind the times in regards to both workplace culture and in their tech stacks. I was told women should wear makeup in skype meetings and for in trouble for asking if their were free mensuration products in the building. There is so much tech debt 90% of anything people are working on is outdated software from 2015 or earlier. The code I’ve worked on was so embarrassing to see made it into production-riddled with bugs and typos. Also, the company is very stingy. I felt my salary and that of my colleagues was pretty good, but beyond that their benefits aren’t great and they’ll almost never give half days and you have to use your vacation days when you get sick (some teams aren’t allowed to work from home?). I’ve also seen a lot of mismanagement and micromanaging. It’s frustrating being under the thumb of people who are just plain bad at their jobs but since they’ve been at the company so long no one does anything

Advice to Management

Seriously re-think how you want to recruit new people in tech and how you treat your new tech employees. It’s relatively easy to find another job and people who care about their work will leave/are leaving and all you’re left with are the people who are either lazy about their careers or don’t have the skills for the job.

Liberty Mutual Insurance2019-12-10

"comfortable"

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

good work life balance, never been told I couldn't work from home (one day per week)

Cons

some managers are great, some are toxic, good luck

Liberty Mutual Insurance2019-09-17

"Losing your soul and individuality to the corporate machine"

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy to get hired, easy to get by, paid well for your happiness.

Cons

LM likes to purport that they care about individual employees and value diversity, but the simple truth is above all else Liberty wants to sell itself as an ideal workplace while not needing to put in the effort. Leadership is constantly changing their direction and constantly unveiling "new and innovative methods," trying to sound like a true technology company, even though what they sell is insurance and pretty words. Working as a developer for over 3 years here, I've learned that despite endless technical instability and outdated business methods, Liberty has no intent to change its approach. Just recently all workers in my area were moved to a different building, and are now subject to a new seat reservation system. As someone that comes into the office every day and spends all day trying to do their work, it is obnoxious and inefficient to need to reserve a seating spot and move my laptop, keyboard and mouse, headset, etc., back an forth between a locker and the open empty tables we're now forced to squeeze into. Having any personal items in your area results in directors complaining and circulating emails and pictures of you and your belongings. You are essentially shamed for trying to add any amount of individuality to your area, and are viewed as an unimportant work ant whose sole purpose is to quietly come in, do work, and leave without any trace of you ever having been there. There are a slew of similar acts committed by the company and senior management, but all point to the base result that unless you are a senior manager or director, you are viewed as insignificant and they have no problem treating you as such.

Advice to Management

Understand that you're not a better human just because of your job title; humans need to be able to express who they are and be in a comfortable environment in order to be efficient and productive.

Liberty Mutual Insurance2019-08-05

"Large tech ambition slowed down by company culture"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Exeter, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay and benefits are top notch. The technologies being worked with are stone age old in some area, but cutting edge in others.

Cons

Low expectations lead to some lack of motivation. Tall management structure doesn't help in trying to make a culture impact.

Advice to Management

Update antiquated systems to improve efficiencies.

Liberty Mutual Insurance2019-05-21

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Competitive pay Competitive benefits (flex schedules - I work a 9X80 schedule, maternity/paternity leaves, adoption reimbursement, 8% match on 401K, tuition reimbursement, support for continuing education, etc.) Professional atmosphere Values employees and supports them

Cons

Lots of change. Often times a change seems to be just to keep up with the latest fads and isn't always the right thing. Sometimes the change is nothing but the latest fsd lingo for something we used to do but fell out of style and is now back in style under a new name.

Liberty Mutual Insurance2019-05-01

"Stagnant"

Current Employee - Associate Software Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly people who seem to care about insurance

Cons

Can be a very complacent company. Not too bad although tools vital for development don't always work. Plenty of mostly nice people and easy ability to move teams if in unhappy

Liberty Mutual Insurance2019-03-28
  9. "Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Dover, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great 401k match. Very friendly people who are committed to go forward technology.

Cons

You'll inevitably have to travel as you get higher up in the company.

Liberty Mutual Insurance2019-03-29

"Lots of change"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Time off is good, but health benefits are not great.

Cons

Poor leadership that is always changing.

Liberty Mutual Insurance2019-04-05