Liberty Travel Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Randy Alleyne

Pros
  • great people, fun job, decent perks (in 15 reviews)

• it is a cool job you learn a lot working here and a diverse company (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • They also don't believe in personal lives or any sort of work/life balance (in 17 reviews)

• No work life balance stores are open 10-9pm sunday-sat (in 10 reviews)

1. "Ok company"

Former Employee - Tech Expert in Mahwah, NJ
    Former Employee - Tech Expert in Mahwah, NJ

I worked at Liberty Travel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people to work with
    Good work environment
    Lots to learn

Cons

Salary is low
    Bonus non existent

Advice to Management

Make salaries upto industry standards

"Disorganization at it's Finest"

Former Employee - Marketing in Ramsey, NJ
    Former Employee - Marketing in Ramsey, NJ

I worked at Liberty Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company (HQ) isn't super strict on being at work at 9am on the dot. They understand that their worker bees have families, in by 9:10 is okay and a huge help, just don't make a habit out of it running late and you'll be fine. There are a few perks working for the company, discounts and a IATA card. Depending on your department, there is opportunity to travel (mostly for work), but it's not reflected across the board. Some worker bees qualify for trips and some don't. Depending on your department, there is room for growth as there are many facets to the company.

Cons

The turnover here is very high - especially in the [Leisure] Marketing Department, in three years department leadership changed hands at least eight times. Because of this, there is no consistency and moral is comprised. Broken promises on top of broken promises. Not only is the turnover in management high, but in the marketing (sales and finance as well) department itself. The worker bees are overworked and are not producing the way they could and should the consistency been in place. The retail marketing portion of the company went from 12 people to four and the work load from those eight people had to be picked up for the remaining four. How can four people (with ever changing direction) handle the marketing needs for all of the Liberty Travel retail locations (close to 200 locations)? The pay is not equal to the work load. Favoritism is real. While Flash Friday is a nice way to end the work week with wine and beer at your desk, it's an unfortunate reminder in the workplace for anyone suffering from alcoholism. Maybe Flash Friday's and the bar should disappear, reserve these celebrations for a local Happy Hour at an outside venue.

Advice to Management

Have a plan, and stick to it. Don't set your worker bees up for failure. Give your departments the support and training they need to get the job done. Make yourselves available, follow up with your worker bees when they're trying to track you down. Don't dismiss them or their talents. Too many people at Liberty Travel are taken for granted, it's not a good feeling. Find people who are willing to work hard for you and treat them well, or they will become hardened and no longer willing to work up to their potential out of frustration and defeat.

"👨‍💼 admin"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flushing, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flushing, NY

I worked at Liberty Travel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was at Liberty for 12 years from 95-08.great people, fun job, decent perks

Cons

Horrible money, got .25¢ an hour raise once.

Advice to Management

Be better. You get more from your employees the better you are to them

"Travel Consultant"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Liberty Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

yearly consultant trip. some travel perks. discounted airfare (very small discount), cool colleagues

Cons

management, pressure, no worklife balance, terrible marketing, work weekends, pay not equal to workload, no pay raise, terrible incentives in comparison to other agencies, commission is a percentage of a percentage. They spend thousands of dollars sending every consultant in the company on a yearly consultant trip. I'm pretty sure if they decided to not do it for one year, they could spend that money on redoing the marketing so the consultants get more leads. They prioritize the wrong things! If you focused all your energy on getting the retail stores took look a little more upgraded, and if you solidified the booking systems, the consultants can work easier and make more money. Then you'd receive less complaints about the work life balance, the pay, and the commission structure. In their mind, they try to lure first year consultants to stay by sending them on an all expense paid trip at a 4/5 star resort so they can get a feel of the good life. When you're on the trip, you barely get to enjoy the resort because they bombard you with lectures. You spend so much time in a convention room when you should be experiencing the property amenities. They lowered the base salary a few years ago. Dont expect to get any pay raise while you're there. Also, there are opportunities for growth if you're open to driving to their headquarters which is in the middle of nowhere (montvale NJ). otherwise you'll be stuck in the retail stores. You WILL work past your scheduled time. If you dont make your numbers, you wont get over time. They put a lot of pressure on their consultants but the systems are so outdated that we spend 30% of the time trying to put together a quote instead of soley focusing on selling. the benefits are expensive. You will work weekends, and your schedule will never stay the same. Your job functions are way more than whats described. A lot of customers will try to waste your time, so you need to learn to cut through the BS. theres a lot of BS in this company. you MUST have a thick skin, or you will perish!

The leaders of the company force employees to "promise" that they will hit a certain target, even if we dont feel comfortable doing that. They do this so you can feel pressured to do it. If you dont, they will come back and you'll be expected to give reasons why. They will always blame the consultants for not hitting their numbers.

Advice to Management

You all need to spend more time renewing the look and feel of liberty travel. the majority of clients that walk in take liberty travel as a joke. If you dedicated a large sum of the money you make on rebranding liberty travels image, you will make the money back really quickly. Also, a lot of the stores are outdated and look depressing. If you changed it, your consultants would feel better working in an updated environment. We of all people should know that quality comes over quantity. If the stores look good, everyone feels good. If the systems run good, then the business will run good. Spend more time on cultivating your employees. If you had quarterly trips, bonuses, etc, your employees would stay. the longer they stay, the better they become and the more money you all make. stop being cheap. I agree with the post below. step up with the uniform. its terrible. Stop promoting people that dont deserve to be promoted. If a store isnt doing well, ask yourselves why instead of pointing fingers at the consultants. Also you cant keep putting people on performance management when your business is doing badly. people get over it. People in this company are all worker bees. If you work here long enough, the company will brainwash you. If you currently work here, take a step back and do some research into other agencies and see how they work. Then maybe you'll open up your eyes a little. Just a heads up, Liberty Travel's glassdoor ratings has gone down by one star in the past 3 months. Ask yourself why.

"Travel Agent"

Current Employee - Travel Agent in Victor, NY
    Current Employee - Travel Agent in Victor, NY

I have been working at Liberty Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best place to work! Great people and so much fun.

Cons

Working nights and weekends.

7. "Rewarding when you're willing to put in the hard work ."

Current Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at Liberty Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The travel perks are amazing! You can earn free stays with partner resorts. You can go on familiarization trips to become more of an expert. If successful, you make great connections with your repeat clients and your team members. Global ball makes it all worth it.

Cons

You must be willing to work your bum off to make good money. You won't succeed unless you put in the time and effort! You will work overtime. It's part of the sales lifestyle here.

Advice to Management

Get to know what it's like for your people on the sales floors. This may help the ideas you bring to the table flourish if you have a better idea of how they'd work on the floor.

8. "cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Mifflinville, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Mifflinville, PA

I have been working at Liberty Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

teamwork, knowing what I do matters to the company

Cons

there is nothing I can say that is negative at this time about this company

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

"Worst decision of my life"

Former Employee - Travel Agent in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Travel Agent in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Liberty Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training at headquarters was great.

Cons

No support from Team leaders. It's very hard for a new agent to build a client base when other agents have been there for years, especially with very high and unrealistic monthly goals. Forced to sell properties and packages that are much higher than other travel outlets only because Liberty has a contract with them. Hiding fees from customers so Liberty doesn't have to pay them, such as ticketing fees and merchant fees for credit cards.

Advice to Management

Stop having TLs sell so they can be more focused on helping. Help and teach new agents how to build a client base (I was told to promote myself...hard when my boss nevered ordered me business cards!) Be more open and honest with your customers! It's unfair and sneaky to jack up rates and hide certain fees just for your bottom line. We were even told in training to raise them and not tell people! WOW! Also make your monthly goals more realistic please. Newer agents can never meet such super high goals. Use the effort you put into the training at HQ to teach your store TLs to be better and you'll have far less turnover.

"Liberty Travel Travel Agent"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Liberty Travel (More than a year)

Pros

Fun Job but you need to work outside hours to close bookings

Cons

Little money and you work personal time to get people to book with you.

11. "Assistant Team Leader Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I have been working at Liberty Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with Liberty Travel for about 3 1/2 years and my experiences have been nothing but positive. As a company, Liberty Travel (and parent company Flight Center) always strive to promote from within and have a corporate structure that makes you feel like you have a chance to be heard no matter what your position. I started out as a consultant and had little travel or sales experience, but I was trained and nurtured by my leadership team and am now a leader in the business myself! I never felt like I couldn't voice my opinion or contribute to the team in a meaningful way. Everyone in the company loves to have fun but also knows the importance of work and always striving to increase our sales and improve our business so it's a really nice balance that makes coming to work every day a positive experience.

Cons

Sometimes the schedule is rough to work through because our two days off are typically not together, but because we are a sales organization that is something where you really have to be flexible in order to be successful and that was communicated to me from my very first interview.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing please! (Is that advice to myself?!)