Lidl Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Lidl Manager Reviews

Updated Oct 14, 2019

Found 364 reviews

2.7
Lidl CEO Jesper Hojer (no image)
Jesper Hojer

"Purchasing Manager"

Current Employee - Purchasing Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lidl full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart people to work with, challenging, good benefits,

Cons

No Work-Personal Life Balance Salary is in the low range for DC area If you want to move up will need to be fluent in German

Advice to Management

Post in the elevator or Cafeteria the open jobs posting for internal transfers. Have a clear policy of working hours and publish it.

Lidl2017-11-06

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at Lidl full-time for less than a year

Pros

Got to travel and train overseas, which was incredible. The supervisors and associates were awesome to work with.

Cons

Upper management was a joke. They would come into the store, not say hello and start grilling you. The turnover rate of managers and district managers is a complete joke. Why is so much good talent leaving? Nobody can answer that. I am so grateful that I was able to find a better job with a better company, thinking of LIDL makes me cringe and feel bad for those still there. Store managers are so underpaid... it's not even close.

Advice to Management

Does it matter they won't listen.

Lidl2017-11-20

"This company will fail."

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Lidl full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is decent for associates. The pay is good for supervisors. The pay is below average for Store Management. The training program that sent people abroad was broken and flawed. All the good managers and district managers have either left for higher paying and respectful jobs, or were forced out/fired because they called Lidl on their bologna. Oh this was pros right?

Cons

Store Management has more experience in their left finger than a vast majority of District Managers, HQ departments, and Distribution employees. The company is being led by inexperienced children at the highest level of responsibility. Supply Chain has gotten better, just like Helen Keller did when she finally learned what water was. Logistics is a joke. Stores are receiving their deliveries halfway through peak... hours/days. They preach Availability as a pillar of sale, yet no accountability is being held to those responsible for the stores half empty shelves. News flash: if Americans are shopping in Lidl for the first time and you don’t have an item, they’re most likely never coming back. Selections? Lmao. The only department doing their job and still drowning is Facilities. Too bad they’re being charged with the impossible, I’m sure all the talent in that pool is about to jump ship.

Advice to Management

Sad thing is, 99% of this company knows all of these flaws, and the aforementioned is only the tip of the iceberg that’s going to sink this international grocery chain. No one in the “right” position has the courage to say or do anything about I️t. Those who have were forced out or quit when their ideas were met with backlash. My advice: 1) Keep your head down and your mouth shut if you have bills to pay or 2)... Start padding up that resume with all of your international business experience.

Lidl2017-11-14

"Up and coming"

Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lidl full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lidl is an exciting and fast paced place to work. The culture is fun and the rollout feels like a start up here in the US. The pay and benefits are good. My training when I got here was great. I felt so welcomed on day one. So far so good.

Cons

Some people are a little negative about the company. I've heard there has been changes recently so there is a little uncertainty.

Advice to Management

Communication regarding company changes is really important.

Lidl2017-09-26

"Engaging & Fulfilling Workplace"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lidl full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are many opportunities to learn, progress and flourish. There is a good team environment in HQ, where problems are challenges to be worked on together. Because the company is new in the US, it's a great chance to be creative and push to improve and develop yourself and the company. Pay is good and while some workdays can be long, you can manage your own time effectively. The HQ Location in Arlington is great.... If I had to choose a company where culture and values are lived as often as possible, this would be it. While no one is perfect, what makes Lidl good for me is that if they don't always get something right, you can talk about it with management. Fostering that open environment is something Lidl strive to do, and it's something that makes me feel comfortable in my workplace.

Cons

Nothing that stands out! As I said, no place is perfect, but the difference with Lidl is that they work on fixing what's not perfect!

Advice to Management

Keep supporting and working with your employees!

Lidl2017-09-27
  6. "Exciting workplace with great opportunities"

Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lidl full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great pay -Best benefits in industry -Endless growth opportunities -Friendly and helpful colleagues -

Cons

-The communication between teams still needs improvement but we have already seen a big difference lately -

Advice to Management

The CEO needs to address the company more often. It is important that his vision is clear to the entire organization. It has been so busy since we opened, that a "check in" with senior leadership on progress to date and next steps would be very good.

Lidl2017-10-02

"Not worth the money"

Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at Lidl full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They pay you very well

Cons

The pay is where it ends. They expect you to be at their every beck and call. They have no respect for people's personal lives or humanity. The business is failing because they tried to go to fast. When you ask a question of any management, the answer is almost always- I don't know, let me check. The management has no credibility.

Advice to Management

Simply giving people high paychecks and company cars does not encourage buy-in.

Lidl2017-10-27

"Upper management is disconnected from the front line and communicates nothing."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Cooper, NC

I worked at Lidl full-time for more than a year

Pros

They, whoever is hiring at the ground level, will hire anyone. Seriously, check for a pulse? Hired on the spot.

Cons

No communication. No long term plan. No commitment to the front line managers = low morale & high turnover. Oh did I mention that there’s no communication and everything’s broke.

Advice to Management

Pay your Store Managers a competitive salary like everyone else in the company and trust their skill set. Communicate expectations regularly and fix your IT problems faster.

Lidl2017-10-24

"Terrible company"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Lidl full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits. Decent pay, whenever you do receive it.

Cons

Payroll issues you rarely receive your paycheck in full or on time. Extremely high turnover. Senior leadership is extremely disrespectful to store associates. Senior leadership has no accountability. There is no communication or guidelines. Everyday policy is changed but not communicated to everyone. The "pillars" of the company are rarely upheld. There is NO work life balance.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people in senior positions with no retail or grocery experience. Fix payroll department. Communicate clearly. Respect employees on all levels. Live out the pillars that the company is supposed to be based upon. Stop creating negative work environment. Stop expecting management to work 12-16 hr days.

Lidl2017-10-13
  10. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Lidl full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great business model, quality food, great prices,

Cons

talent level in inconsistent from asm on up

Advice to Management

That arrogant attitude will soon fade when LIDL gets more established in the US.

Lidl2017-09-06