Lidl Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jesper Hojer

Pros
  • Good Pay - Easy progression (with the right attitude) (in 47 reviews)

• Sehr gute Bezahlung (mit steigerung der Gehaltsstufe jeweils nach einem Jahr), sehr freundliche Kollegen, gute Entwicklungsm (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance, expect to work in excess of 60 (in 60 reviews)

• Long hours and fragmented head office (in 68 reviews)

"Great experience so far! Wonderful people to work with!"

Current Employee - Store Associate in South Gastonia, NC
    Current Employee - Store Associate in South Gastonia, NC

I have been working at Lidl part-time

Pros

Pay, chance to move up! Overtime is available if you want to work it and good benefits package if you want!

Cons

If you don't like to work overtime this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Try to be a little more effecient with sending out emails to employees.

2. "Good job but very poor communication"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Mebane, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Mebane, NC

I worked at Lidl part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and care about there employees travel expenses and there families spending time together... Offer good benefits .. teach there classes very good..

Cons

Poor communication.. Need better organization... they never know what is going on till the very last minute... they are trying to discourage people with the write ups

Advice to Management

Don't need to scare people about passing PLUs that if they don't get an 80% or better they won't be an associate.. don't write up your employees especially the ones that are trying if they fail a test..

"Best career decision I have made!"

Current Employee - Advertising Department in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Advertising Department in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lidl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, interesting work - with a new US brand, great benefits, ability to learn the business and move up quickly. Camaraderie. Lots of exposure.

Cons

Yes, Lidl is a rapidly growing company w/ some growing pains, but the people writing the disgruntled reviews must be lazy or negative people in general. Yes, its a very fast paced environment but the majority of people I work with are driven, talented and positive! Work hard, play hard.

Advice to Management

Offer more development opportunities/ training to employees who want to grow professionally.

"Working at Lidl"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Graham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Graham, NC

I have been working at Lidl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lidl promotes from within and provides me with opportunities for continued growth and professional advancement.

Cons

Working in such a fast paced, growing company can be challenging at times, but having my team support me in reaching my goals is rewarding.

"If you take your career seriously don't come here it's a complete joke!"

Former Employee - IT Systems Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - IT Systems Specialist in Arlington, VA

I worked at Lidl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The health benefits are good, you have the option to expense a bike, get $130 on smart trip card a month (this is not enough) , or they pay for garage parking.

Also I got to go to Europe so that was cool, after that I should've left.

Cons

The management here is a complete nightmare. Everyone is so fearful of speaking up when things are wrong or they don't agree with. They are afraid they will retaliate and lose their job. Luckily no one puts fear in my heart so I definitely went against the grain as much as possible. Because of that it was very clear that my line manager had a problem with me and once my employee appraisal that came up (complete joke btw) she basically said I was a low performer, I lacked drive and I had a bad attitude (racial slur). She also mentioned that at her previous company she worked 60 hours a week on over 100 systems or something crazy, so basically she implied if I'm not working as hard as that there is no way I'm getting promoted. Okay congrats you're a slave, I think black people had enough of that already :) I'll pass. I'm a person of color and what I realized in this company they don't understand black culture and expect you to act fake and stuck up. After I put in my resignation she didn't even acknowledge it, of course I'm not even surprised. Once you speak up for yourself you are basically considered a "threat". DONT COME HERE! Every time I see a large group of new employees walking around for orientation I feel sorry for them because they fell for this fake dream they are selling here. I literally did not gain any great experience working here, I wasted 10 months of my life. Luckily I actually worked for a previous company that is well known for being great so that saved me and helped me get my next opportunity.

POOR COMMUNICATION AMONGST THE ENTIRE COMPANY FROM INTERNAL US TO EUROPE.

Also I had a lot of red flags before I accepted the position here. The agreed upon salary was 5k LOWER on my offer letter as well as the title, and me believing in the dream and a promise of promotion in 3 months I took the position. And here I am at month 10 with no promotion lol.

Basically believe these negative reviews we living and breathing this terrible experience and I honestly wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

Everyone that knows of my leaving the company has basically expressed they are looking to do the same.

As an IT professional I take this craft seriously. And everything here from the software to the people they are just clueless. NO STRUCTURE, NO ROADMAPS, NO TIMELINES, NO ONE EVER DELIVERS and if they do the dates constantly get pushed back and once live the stuff doesn't even work. Like how you implement a totally new solution with so many bugs! You did this from scratch it should be working dude lol. But just shows nobody has a remote clue of what they are doing, it's the blind leading the blind.

Also terrible pay for DC area especially for an IT professional. If you are an IT Consultant thinking about trying industry take my advice and stay in consulting. You actually are working with some of the best people out there, appreciate it!

Take a look at the leaders (board, VPS) here they are all white males and I truly believe they never even read a business book.

Advice to Management

End the opening here, you've wasted enough money don't continue to.

The management in IT is a complete joke, if you are enough of a suck up you might get promoted but not if you're of color.

90% of management is inexperienced and speak German.

A lot of them that got their Senior Manager or Director roles either slaved at Lidl in a previous country before here or they were one of the first people in IT so they got first dibs, so it's not like they earned it or even have the proven experience to say they are leaders. Stop hiring people who are not leaders like it's a mess.

Writing this post is very exhausting and draining. I hate being this negative, but this company is so trash and I don't see them being successful. Hopefully my experience saves a life. DON'T COME HERE, GET OUT!

"Sales Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lidl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to travel abroad to train, very high salary for employees with very little experience

Cons

All European upper management - meaning many decisions are made which are wrong for the American market.

"Ehhh..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Lidl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good Benefits
    - New/Clean office space
    - Knowledgeable IT department
    - Occasionally employees receive free food/merchandise that will be sold in the store

Cons

- Not everyone that works at HQ can park at HQ (you have to park in a garage a mile away from the building and walk to take the bus to the office). Most of the parking spaces are reserved for more tenured employees and senior management.
    - No free coffee.
    - Many senior managers are inexperienced in managing people, unprofessional, unethical, and are incapable of taking accountability for the work product of their teams. Senior managers are very willing to throw their teams under the bus, rather than manage conflict head-on.
    - Very hierarchical. Employees don't have real access to their senior managers and above. Analysts and specialists are not involved in meetings or discussions about topics that directly affect their work, and then they are held accountable for work product that did not live up to expectations set in said meetings/discussions.
    - People are forced out through performance management techniques that have no merit or documentation.
    - When you are involved in meetings, a lot of the time people talk in circles, asserting power or control, and nothing gets accomplished. It is a big waste of time.
    - People in the position to make decisions and lead department initiatives are poor communicators.
    - HR as a whole is not really a resource. There are some helpful people, but most are ineffective, especially management.

Advice to Management

I sincerely hope this company can still do well with all of the inexperienced managers and egos that are in the way. :-/

"Worst Company Ever"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Lidl (More than a year)

Pros

None, please read all the negative reviews. The positive are not real. The HR department tries to pad Glassdoor with positive reviews of this company.

Cons

Underpaid and overworked. If you are white you will go for in this place. People of color should look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Grow up

"Great opportunity"

I have been working at Lidl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits (15 days off, 4 floating holidays, 7 sick days, 401k with company match, great health care)
    Great co-workers
    Good line manager
    Opportunity to grow
    Promotions if you work hard

Lidl is for you if you want to grow and are looking for a great opportunity and you are not afraid to put a lot of work into your career.
    The company will give you endless opportunities, it is up to you if you take them.
    The attire at work has changed to casual business attire, yay jeans :)
    Everyone is very friendly as long as you are friendly too.
    Depending on the department the communication and also the help you receive from people is very good.

Cons

Currently longer hours due to the expansion. I normally work between 45 to 50 hours.
    When you are on salary you do not get paid overtime, hence the reason why you get a salary... when you are paid hourly you do get paid overtime.
    A lot of last minute request due to the very fast paced environment and because everything is getting finalized for store openings.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring people to try to lower the workload for everyone. It is already happening but keep up the good work and Lidl will become one of the best places to work.

"Pretty good place to work but has growing pains"

Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lidl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay, nice people, great hours

Cons

somewhat unorganized and needs processes put into place.

Advice to Management

departments need to work together and promote people who actually deserve it not just to fill space.

Showing 985 of 1,049 reviews