Lidl Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jesper Hojer

1,037 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Good Pay - Easy progression (with the right attitude) (in 55 reviews)

• Sehr gute Bezahlung (mit steigerung der Gehaltsstufe jeweils nach einem Jahr), sehr freundliche Kollegen, gute Entwicklungsm (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance, expect to work in excess of 60 (in 60 reviews)

• Long hours and fragmented head office (in 70 reviews)

"Company with possibilities"

Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lidl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growing company with many possibilities. Management listens to employees. Great benefits package. Better and better communication. Work/life balance possible.

Cons

Communications are getting better but still need a bit.

Advice to Management

Some people work a lot. Make sure work/life balance is possible in the future. Think about making a stress policy, just in case.

"Lidl US Real Estate and Central Services"

Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lidl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are none, the most toxic department in the company, although other departments claim that for themselves, but it is the ridicule if of everything

Cons

Uneducated Leadership from top to bottom
    EVP thinks he is the pope of everything
    VP's are the most ridiculous guys ever
    Barely finished the stores for opening and way over budget but still walking around like they invented Lidl
    Promotions non stop for uneducated people, sometimes multiple times in a year
    Regional people get 20% Bonus, although they can't even pronounce Lidl

Advice to Management

None, there will be no changes unless they fire the whole board

3. "Store manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Lidl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Manager training from upper management and corporate chance to prove yourself and what your team can accomplish and chances to show your customer service skills

Cons

Not much follow up training long hours heavy lifting. Need to meet your productivity numbers sales goals and employees retention

Advice to Management

Work hard and prioritize your daily goals

":-|"

Former Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at Lidl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, international travel, and diversity.

Cons

Incompetent managers who care more a about playing the blame game then resolving issues. Poor overall leadership whom seem to be blind to the high turnover rate. Employee retention is lacking and no one seems to care. Employee morals is lacking, future bonuses are the only reason some stick around. Poor communication and very dependent on international. Departments work against other departments by avoiding tasks and placing them on others.

Advice to Management

Focus on your people not so much on the USA launch. The people will make the difference. Working 8-9 hrs per day should allow persons to get a lot done. No one should have to work more, its less effective. Promote more US persons to management. This will enrich the company's culture with us ways. Lidl has to learn the way of life in the US in order to become a successful company. You have many persons on the verge of resignation.

"Greatly Unbalanced Place To Work"

Current Employee - Purchasing Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Purchasing Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lidl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I truly feel Lidl has great potential, the pay is very decent, the exposure is uncharted, technologically advanced, flex work hours, and the environment is fresh!

Cons

As a part of the purchasing dept it's one of thee most cut throats and dog eat dog situations you will ever enter. Promotions are based off of who can bark the loudest vs. actual merit and work ethic. Which sucks, cause they have great analyst that constantly get overlooked while new comers jump to the front of the line. I worked really closely with QA and they have the blind leading the blind!! I can't even count how many delays were encountered due to their sensory teams leadership!

Advice to Management

Find actual qualified individuals to be Managers, Sr. Managers, and most importantly DIRECTORS! The company can be great, but you have to adjust to USA culture and standard.

"Poor management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Lidl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Offering fair salary to the employees

Cons

Very uneducated and unprofessional management team

Advice to Management

Send the managers to training

"Great experience so far! Wonderful people to work with!"

Current Employee - Store Associate in South Gastonia, NC
    Current Employee - Store Associate in South Gastonia, NC

I have been working at Lidl part-time

Pros

Pay, chance to move up! Overtime is available if you want to work it and good benefits package if you want!

Cons

If you don't like to work overtime this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Try to be a little more effecient with sending out emails to employees.

"Best career decision I have made!"

Current Employee - Advertising Department in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Advertising Department in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lidl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, interesting work - with a new US brand, great benefits, ability to learn the business and move up quickly. Camaraderie. Lots of exposure.

Cons

Yes, Lidl is a rapidly growing company w/ some growing pains, but the people writing the disgruntled reviews must be lazy or negative people in general. Yes, its a very fast paced environment but the majority of people I work with are driven, talented and positive! Work hard, play hard.

Advice to Management

Offer more development opportunities/ training to employees who want to grow professionally.

"If you take your career seriously don't come here it's a complete joke!"

Former Employee - IT Systems Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - IT Systems Specialist in Arlington, VA

I worked at Lidl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The health benefits are good, you have the option to expense a bike, get $130 on smart trip card a month (this is not enough) , or they pay for garage parking.

Also I got to go to Europe so that was cool, after that I should've left.

Cons

The management here is a complete nightmare. Everyone is so fearful of speaking up when things are wrong or they don't agree with. They are afraid they will retaliate and lose their job. Luckily no one puts fear in my heart so I definitely went against the grain as much as possible. Because of that it was very clear that my line manager had a problem with me and once my employee appraisal that came up (complete joke btw) she basically said I was a low performer, I lacked drive and I had a bad attitude (racial slur). She also mentioned that at her previous company she worked 60 hours a week on over 100 systems or something crazy, so basically she implied if I'm not working as hard as that there is no way I'm getting promoted. Okay congrats you're a slave, I think black people had enough of that already :) I'll pass. I'm a person of color and what I realized in this company they don't understand black culture and expect you to act fake and stuck up. After I put in my resignation she didn't even acknowledge it, of course I'm not even surprised. Once you speak up for yourself you are basically considered a "threat". DONT COME HERE! Every time I see a large group of new employees walking around for orientation I feel sorry for them because they fell for this fake dream they are selling here. I literally did not gain any great experience working here, I wasted 10 months of my life. Luckily I actually worked for a previous company that is well known for being great so that saved me and helped me get my next opportunity.

POOR COMMUNICATION AMONGST THE ENTIRE COMPANY FROM INTERNAL US TO EUROPE.

Also I had a lot of red flags before I accepted the position here. The agreed upon salary was 5k LOWER on my offer letter as well as the title, and me believing in the dream and a promise of promotion in 3 months I took the position. And here I am at month 10 with no promotion lol.

Basically believe these negative reviews we living and breathing this terrible experience and I honestly wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

Everyone that knows of my leaving the company has basically expressed they are looking to do the same.

As an IT professional I take this craft seriously. And everything here from the software to the people they are just clueless. NO STRUCTURE, NO ROADMAPS, NO TIMELINES, NO ONE EVER DELIVERS and if they do the dates constantly get pushed back and once live the stuff doesn't even work. Like how you implement a totally new solution with so many bugs! You did this from scratch it should be working dude lol. But just shows nobody has a remote clue of what they are doing, it's the blind leading the blind.

Also terrible pay for DC area especially for an IT professional. If you are an IT Consultant thinking about trying industry take my advice and stay in consulting. You actually are working with some of the best people out there, appreciate it!

Take a look at the leaders (board, VPS) here they are all white males and I truly believe they never even read a business book.

Advice to Management

End the opening here, you've wasted enough money don't continue to.

The management in IT is a complete joke, if you are enough of a suck up you might get promoted but not if you're of color.

90% of management is inexperienced and speak German.

A lot of them that got their Senior Manager or Director roles either slaved at Lidl in a previous country before here or they were one of the first people in IT so they got first dibs, so it's not like they earned it or even have the proven experience to say they are leaders. Stop hiring people who are not leaders like it's a mess.

Writing this post is very exhausting and draining. I hate being this negative, but this company is so trash and I don't see them being successful. Hopefully my experience saves a life. DON'T COME HERE, GET OUT!

"Good job but very poor communication"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Mebane, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Mebane, NC

I worked at Lidl part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and care about there employees travel expenses and there families spending time together... Offer good benefits .. teach there classes very good..

Cons

Poor communication.. Need better organization... they never know what is going on till the very last minute... they are trying to discourage people with the write ups

Advice to Management

Don't need to scare people about passing PLUs that if they don't get an 80% or better they won't be an associate.. don't write up your employees especially the ones that are trying if they fail a test..

Showing 1,037 of 1,102 reviews