Lidl Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 15, 2017

1.0
Jesper Hojer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good Pay - Easy progression (with the right attitude) (in 80 reviews)

• Sehr gute Bezahlung (mit steigerung der Gehaltsstufe jeweils nach einem Jahr), sehr freundliche Kollegen, gute Entwicklungsm (in 36 reviews)

Cons

1. "There are some pros but many cons."

Pros

Decent starting wage, good benefits, investment in training. Thats really all i have to say but there is a twenty word minimum.

Cons

Many persons find it appropriate to treat people horribly and to take out stress on staff who are expected to deal with any kind of treatment because they are being paid above minimum wage. Abuse seemed to trickle down level by level.
    Payroll was and is a complete mess. People consistently are missing money or whole paychecks.
    Nothing is consistent and it has become apparent that for all the planning no one actually knows what they are doing. My suggestion is to wait to work for this company maybe ten years down the road when they have it together.

Advice to Management

Get it together

"Terrible company"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Lidl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Decent pay, whenever you do receive it.

Cons

Payroll issues you rarely receive your paycheck in full or on time. Extremely high turnover.
    Senior leadership is extremely disrespectful to store associates. Senior leadership has no accountability. There is no communication or guidelines. Everyday policy is changed but not communicated to everyone. The "pillars" of the company are rarely upheld. There is NO work life balance.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people in senior positions with no retail or grocery experience.
    Fix payroll department. Communicate clearly. Respect employees on all levels. Live out the pillars that the company is supposed to be based upon. Stop creating negative work environment. Stop expecting management to work 12-16 hr days.

"You Can't Trust Some of These Reviews, Read Mine"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Lidl full-time

Pros

you get paid. please read my entire "cons" section, its worth your time and its why i made this account and wrote this.

Cons

paychecks always late, management is not good. DO NOT listen to some of these reviews on here saying that its a good company to work for IF you are applying for a lower position, like store employee or store supervisor. Those good reviews from Arlington, VA are higher up people working at US corporate. THERE IS LITERALLY A REVIEW ON HERE THAT SAYS HR REVEALED THAT THEY HAVE BEEN MAKING FAUX REVIEWS. So basically most of the good ones that say the company is awesome and there is nothing wrong are fake. Also if you notice some of them are written on the same day. LOL. Nice job Lidl, maybe try to be less obvious.

MY ADVICE is to READ all the reviews, good and bad, and REALLY listen to the bad ones. I've read them all, specifically the ones from the US, and they are absolutely ACCURATE. This is coming from someone who actually worked in the stores, not just in corporate where they are drinking the "Lidl juice" and sitting around singing Kumbaya and living the "Lidl way", as they put it! I would not have made this account and written this review if I didn't feel bad for those who are being tricked into applying for and being hired by this company. Lidl is very good at convincing people this is a great company to work for. DONT DRINK THE JUICE, for your sake I highly recommend not working for them.

Advice to Management

the corporate white collar workers up in Arlington that are writing the good reviews should spend their time hiring better store managers. they are just not qualified for the positions at all. get your priorities together.

"If you want a job that has great pay and outstanding leadership.... Look somewhere else!"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Richmond, VA

I worked at Lidl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are very good at making their company seem like it is cutting edge, efficient and different. I would have to say they are probably the best con company I have ever experienced.

Cons

Starting right off the bat, do not expect to get your paychecks on time or correct. They seem to have a hard time figuring out payroll and just forget PTO or any reimbursements you expect to have, because those will never get to you. Leadership is sadly inexperienced, they have no ability to be able to talk to their associates or lead their associates.

Advice to Management

Replace your current District Managers and Up, or get out the For Lease sign because that is what is going to be on all of your buildings if you don't change something.

"Ugh!!!"

I have been working at Lidl part-time

Pros

Pay rate hourly if you’re paid correctly.
    Benefits are good if it’s handled properly.
    Insurance ok if there not taking too much out of your already shorted check :(

Cons

Very clueless, disorganized, no communication from the top to the bottom. If you do get any kind of training? and if they make you travel you are forking out your experiences including per diem, you’re lucky if doesn’t take a month or two at least just to get it back. Paycheck errors are ridiculous they just can’t get it together and they take their time to resolve it. And yet they demand you to work past your scheduled time, because they don’t have enough help. LIDL is an embarrassment, a joke.

Advice to Management

Stop opening all these new stores and facilities if you can not properly pay or train your people you will continue to fall short.

"Lack of leadership"

I worked at Lidl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will be paid fairly.

Cons

The top management does not follow policies/procedures. They are hypocritical and unethical. There is no organization and communication is horrendous. If you work for this company, expect NO work life balance.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach.

"Gonna Be A Long One But Worth The Read!!"

I worked at Lidl part-time

Pros

Well, its a job for one. Pays me (sometimes), easy job to do, shifts are decent(ish), yeah thats about it.

Cons

So biggest con is the pay is never on time. When started, had to drive to Fredericksburg for training, which is an hour drive. Told employees would be compensated for drive, took forever to actually get that compensation. Basically just make a lot of promises they cannot keep. Training was stupid, was only supposed to be a few weeks long but got extended to like double the time because of their failure on time management, so had to sit around for a few weeks and listen to managers make up stuff to "train". All the stuff learned in training has nothing to do with the actual jobs now, so that was basically a waste.

Yeah the pay is decent, but that's only when everyone actually receives it. Ever since training, the pay has been messed up. People are only getting a quarter of what they earned, or nothing at all. Now, people are starting to not show up to their shifts because of it. Its really bad, and no one seems to be doing anything about it. You can tell management is freaking out and doesn't want to work for Lidl anymore, but they get paid so much, so they stay.

The only people that are going to stick around that place are the people "drinking the juice", and I feel bad for them because they are getting manipulated and will be screwed over. Lidl is very "good" at promoting the "Lidl Way", and making it seem like the most AMAZING company every created. It's cult-like, and it's creepy and weird.

Advice to Management

As a wise person has said, it seems as though management's idea and decision-making strategy seems to be similar to "a bunch of animals flinging feces against a whiteboard and wherever it lands, they choose that option". No one knows what they are doing, and are just making it up as they go on a daily basis. I know that has to be stressful for them as well, not knowing what the heck you are doing every single shift and just hoping it works out, so perhaps new management with managing experience should be brought in. To no fault of their own, the store management is honestly just very under-qualified, and just don't know what they are doing. It may be rude to say, but they are lost and when issues arise, they just end up dumping the problems onto the staff's shoulders and making them handle it. I know that has to be stressful for them as well, not knowing what the heck you are doing every single shift and just hoping it works out, so perhaps new management with managing experience should be brought in. Employees get angry with the managers very often for the issues, as it is TECHNICALLY their fault, but it's actually the people above them that created the issue by hiring inadequate management.

If Lidl wants to do well in America, something needs to be done. A European company can't just come over to America and expect to run the same. There are adjustments that need to be made ASAP, or they will fail. It was already a risk coming here, since "new, hip" grocery stores seems to be a new thing and they are popping up everywhere. Lidl is competing with Aldi, Trader Joe's (who is doing a great job tbh)..... it's not gonna be easy and they have changes to make. Honestly, Americans are sue-happy, and the higher-ups at Lidl need to be more careful or they will find themselves in some deep ish.

OVERALL, I would advise against working for Lidl for the next few years, maybe wait until like 2020 when its a more established company here in the US and adjustments have been made. I promise you will end up disappointed (and underpaid) starting now.

"Not A Good Company To Work For"

Former Employee - Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Lidl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros are decent pay and is an easy job

Cons

Cons are most employees are selfish, I'm always having to make up for other people's mistakes, very poor communication skills throughout management, pay is literally always messed up every week.

Advice to Management

Management seems like a bunch of chickens running around with their heads cut off. No one seems to know what's going on, and every is just winging it and hoping it works out. The people hired for the management positions are not adequate and do not do a good job, and the people below them get blamed for their mistakes. The company itself isn't bad, but the transition to the US has not gone well and Lidl did not do a good job hiring the right people for the higher up positions. The management's disorganization makes the store look bad, and through the cutsomers' eyes, its the employees' fault and it makes us look like bad workers when we really aren't, our leaders are weak.

"Do Not Recommend"

Current Employee - Employee
    Current Employee - Employee

I have been working at Lidl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ehh... not many to be honest. It's a job? That's about the only pro. But we don't even get paid half the time so it can barely be considered a job. Also it's an easy place to work.

Cons

Pay is never on time, work/life balance sucks, management has no clue what they are doing. I am more overqualified than the person managing me, and it's irritating that that person got a job making 3x as much as I do and has barely any management experience, whereas I have years of it. Also I never know when I'm going to work in the upcoming week until the first day of that week. It would be nice to know like at least a week in advance of my schedule? Especially because most of us have families and lives outside of this job? I bet in a year or so, Lidl will be doing a lot better, once the under-qualified management is tossed out.

Advice to Management

If one more manager tells me that "Lidl is the most important thing in my life" and that I "have to sacrifice everything for this company", I will lose it. This is a grocery store. Yes, the company itself is nice, but this isn't the White House. This is not a stressful job. Everyone needs to chill out and relax. I think management are not qualified enough, so they are always on edge trying to make sure everything is running okay. They have no idea what they are doing. It's a grocery store. Calm down and we will be able to figure it out, don't just throw it on the employees so it's not your issue. You are losing and will continue to lose your employees if you don't get this place more organized.

"Extremely unorganized company who takes advantage of their employees"

Former Employee - Store Associate
    Former Employee - Store Associate

I worked at Lidl part-time

Pros

I met some other nice associates but that's honestly it. Everything else was pretty awful.

Cons

Where do I even start? Ever since day one there were serious problems. Problems ranged from payroll to simply knowing where/when the actual grocery store was going to open. The managers were super condescending (especially the district managers) and could never give direct answers. While training for store opening, the other associates and I would sit in class-like 'rooms' where they would show powerpoints over and over again (very strange and cult-like.. I don't know) The training was supposed to be 5 weeks but turned into eleven.... and even after that, we didn't have anything to do so we did community service. Which was fine and everything but we were told we would get paid 6 hours a day for every day that we did community service regardless. we would be scheduled sometimes only three hours in a day and it turns out they lied and would only pay us for that many. Also, if you have to travel and you're able to claim mileage, don't put the miles on your car because you'll either never see it or it'll take months for it to get to you. I'm still missing a significant amount of money and there's no one I can contact who has answers. Endless excuses and TBD answers. It's absolutely ridiculous and I spent way too much time hoping things would get better. Complete waste of my time and energy. Once the store opened, it was nonstop stress and nothing was organized. Absolutely chaotic. Terrible, terrible place to work. I could go on and on because I'm honestly just so appalled by this company but I'm just going to end it here.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to your employees and acting like Lidl is some godsend. Actually step up and find the associates answers because you're losing all your good workers.

Showing 235 of 1,302 reviews